ESPN Insider: Small trades, big impact - Jose Calderon for Devin Harris

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Papa Burgundy wrote: View Post
    I've yet to see that quote ... apparently sometimes people lie on the internet ... gasp
    hahaha jab, ouch!

Comment

I know Jose's been a really nice guy and very loyal to the organization, but ive come to realize that at the end of the day, the NBA is less basketball/camaraderie now and more of a business, so if it nets the Raps a high pick in expense of Jose then i think they really need to do it.

What im hoping for then later on is when Jose's contract expires, the Raps will offer him say 10mil for 5 years and he eventually retires as a Raptor and gets a job with the organization in player development or as a scout in europe.

Comment

tbihis wrote: View Post
        hahaha jab, ouch!
        raptorsrepublic.com/.../showthread.php?...
        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Damn it. Cant link to it from my iPhone (I'm i-retarded) but we've talked about it already ad nauseum.
          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

I don't think Calderon specifically asked to be traded. He was asked by some Spanish media (I think) about his feelings "IF" he was traded to a contender, and like any normal human being, Calderon said he would embrace it....or something along those lines. He didn't exactly pull a Dwight Howard.
            Last edited by Nilanka; Wed Feb 29, 2012, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
              I don't think Calderon specifically asked to be traded. He was asked me some Spanish media (I think) about his feelings "IF" he was traded to a contender, and like any normal human being, Calderon said he would embrace it....or something along those lines. He didn't exactly pull a Dwight Howard.
              Are NBA players "normal human beings"? :-)

Yes I remember that thread. JC seems to always answer forthrightly. He could (like many others) have said something droll like "It's not my decision" yada yada

Comment

tbihis wrote: View Post
                What im hoping for then later on is when Jose's contract expires, the Raps will offer him say 10mil for 5 years and he eventually retires as a Raptor and gets a job with the organization in player development or as a scout in europe.
                He's overpaid now and you want to give him the same money 2 years from now?
                your pal,
                ebrian

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
                  He's overpaid now and you want to give him the same money 2 years from now?
                  I think maybe he was suggesting $2M/per for 5. Which I think is too low, but I agree with the principle. If Toronto could have Calderon starting next year and possibly the following year, while grooming a younger point, and if he'd sign for MLE-type money over a 3-year contract, I would be all for that.
                  Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                    How soon people forget Calderon asking to be traded to a contender.
                    This is not factual. He said he would like to play on a contending team. Didn't mention it being a different team and that quote was a very small clip from a longer interview in Spanish and could have been taken completely out of context and translated poorly. He has never been the type to ask for anything but rather he has done whatever the team has asked of him without complaint. It doesn't seem likely that given that he has volunteered to be a bench player on two separate occasions for the good of the team that he all of a sudden would come out and demand a trade does it? Devin Harris is a terrible fit for the Raptors and I like Jose on the team and think he could have a role in the rebuild as a mentor/back up PG for a young developing guard. Also I haven't seen a thing on Myck all season and didn't think he was projected to go nearly as high as 11 or 12 more like late 20's or second round, does anyone have any info to the contrary?

Comment

CT2010 wrote: View Post
                      This is not factual. He said he would like to play on a contending team. Didn't mention it being a different team and that quote was a very small clip from a longer interview in Spanish and could have been taken completely out of context and translated poorly. He has never been the type to ask for anything but rather he has done whatever the team has asked of him without complaint. It doesn't seem likely that given that he has volunteered to be a bench player on two separate occasions for the good of the team that he all of a sudden would come out and demand a trade does it? Devin Harris is a terrible fit for the Raptors and I like Jose on the team and think he could have a role in the rebuild as a mentor/back up PG for a young developing guard. Also I haven't seen a thing on Myck all season and didn't think he was projected to go nearly as high as 11 or 12 more like late 20's or second round, does anyone have any info to the contrary?
                      I think you nailed it all:

- he didn't ask to be traded. Question asked was would he like to play for a contender - if he said no there would be a bigger problem.

- Devin Harris straight up for Calderon is an awful deal.

- Myck is definitely not a 11/12 pick. The lowest I saw him was around 15-17 and that was weeks ago at DraftExpress. They currently dropped him from the 2012 mock draft.

Comment

jimmie wrote: View Post
                        I think maybe he was suggesting $2M/per for 5. Which I think is too low, but I agree with the principle. If Toronto could have Calderon starting next year and possibly the following year, while grooming a younger point, and if he'd sign for MLE-type money over a 3-year contract, I would be all for that.
                        +1

Comment

If Calderon said, "I'm done playing international ball." I'd be all over it, too.

Unfortunately, that is not going to happen and injuries will always be my concern with him. For all the arguments of how he makes players better, he is not going to help anyone getting treatment in practice and sitting on the bench during games.

A healthy Calderon at $5M per year would be great - especially with a younger PG being groomed.

Comment

I honestly don't see an injury issue; it's always been overblown, IMO. Missing 10-15 games a season is worth it for what he brings, and especially if his minutes are declining as the new PG develops.

His minutes at the international level will also inevitably continue to decline as they have been since Rubio took over as the lead guard for Spain.
                            Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

I honestly don't see an injury issue; it's always been overblown, IMO. Missing 10-15 games a season is worth it for what he brings, and especially if his minutes are declining as the new PG develops.

His minutes at the international level will also inevitably continue to decline as they have been since Rubio took over as the lead guard for Spain.
                              I don't feel history backs the idea injuries are not a concern. Personally, I do see consistently missing 10-15 games a season as being a problem but that is not the bigger problem. The bigger problem is he is not playing at 100%. Calderon is good but he is not good enough to not be 100% or very near to it. Over the years he has played but he struggled. We've always listened to the excuse he is nursing groin/hamstring/back. If you look through his injury history you'll see the majority of missed games are early in the season and he deals with those injuries all season.

No doubt Rubio will be the lead guard but Jose will still have a very important role to play with Spain's national team for the foreseeable future - ironically barring injury.

Comment

Questions: Are we having this discussion if Calderon is making 5mm per year over the next two years? IE do we dislike the man because we dislike the contract?

Comment

Working...
                                X