Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Wolstat: Barbosa wants to stay long term

Raptors Republic All-Star DoNDaDDa's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Phat Farmer wrote: View Post
    The fact that Barbosa is injury prone is something that I am scared of. We have dodged a bullet this year with him being relatively healthy so far, but given his recent history that could change anytime. Barbosa is a very solid scorer, but that is about it. He is not much of a facilitator or defensive presence, so is not really needed on a rebuilding team at this time. I rather take my chance on a younger replacement and hope he is able to bring another element to the team off the bench. I'd be fine with trading him or letting him walk at the end of the season and handing over the 6th man role to Bayless to see if he claim that role in a contract year.
    Bayless has serious problems finishing around the rim... if were to expect Derozn to be around for the future we need someone to come of the bench behind him... not many younger players would enjoy being bench fodder for there carreer, barbosa is a solid 6th man & at a price less then 5mill.. say 4mill. id be ok with him staying around.. just not at what hes making now...

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Barbosa is a last-piece-of-the-puzzle type of player. We don't need to be wasting valuable cap space on an ageing 6th man, while the rest of the roster is still a complete unknown.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Papa Burgundy wrote: View Post
    Agreed ... everyone who said he should be given the reigns this year over Calderon, raise your hand ... where are you?
    I was one too. But like Matt said, it wasn't because I thought Bayless was a good PG, but it was to test IF Bayless was capable of playing PG. And in a season where wins weren't desired, I didn't see any harm in giving Bayless minutes to see what we had in him (if anything).

Yes, Calderon has arguably increased his trade value while logging heavy minutes this season, but unless a trade is actually consummated, increased trade value does nothing for the Raptors.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Im fine with Barbo getting signed long-term. 20mil for 4 years? too much. 2-3mil per year for 4-5yrs im ok with.

Oh, and as long as he doesnt play in the last 4 minutes of the 4th quarter. That offensive foul last night killed them.

And he's done that a couple of times in the past too.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not a big fan of Barbosa. If he's hot he's a good scorer but he doesn't really bring anything else to the table and he's streaky. Hard to know what to think of an extension at this point. Depends on the money and length of the contract and it depends on what other options are out there. I'd rather see them move Barbosa for a younger player or pick(s) if they can.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

No thanks. Ill pass.

Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote slaw wrote: View Post
    I'm not a big fan of Barbosa. If he's hot he's a good scorer but he doesn't really bring anything else to the table and he's streaky. Hard to know what to think of an extension at this point. Depends on the money and length of the contract and it depends on what other options are out there. I'd rather see them move Barbosa for a younger player or pick(s) if they can.
    I think on the surface it kinda looks like that, and thats how i saw him too before. But Barbosa is very deceptive, he'll miss 2 threes and lull the defense into thinking he's going to hoist another brick and then he slashes with that quick step. He's literally a spark off the bench. When the offense goes dry, he comes in and starts zigzag his way into the paint or hoists 3s and opens up the defense. Sometimes it looks like he's ball hogging but after 2-3 shots, he drives and kicks or makes drop passes to bigs. He gets at least a steal a game, and even if he doesnt, he's always quick enough to get infront of his man or switch incase of a screen or botched play. He's very unpredictable, yet it can also be his downfall. So like i said, its ok with me if he stays with the team as long as he doesnt play in crunch time.

and his demeanor is a very positive influence in the locker room, much like Calderon. As long as he doesnt go around sleeping with the other player's wives.

Post Thanks / Like

I would be upset if either Barbosa or Bayless were on the Raptors roster next season. They are both black-hole type players that don't understand the concept of team play. With a young core, those are not the values that veteran players should be instilling in the young players as examples of how to contribute to the team. Whatever scoring upside they might have is more than offset by their selfish, one-dimensional play. Trade them both at the deadline or let them walk in the offseason.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Stop the hedo turkoglu gravy train i want to get off!!!!!

Quote hateslosing wrote: View Post
    Sign me up, 20 mill over 4 years and I'm super happy. Guy is a super good bench player who accepts his role.
    I agree with you that he is a very good player that we should be desperate to sign, but only at the right price. We need to figure out how much this guy is worth and not give him a penny more than market value - especially with the new economic realities of the NBA. Championship teams can't afford to pay a premium to sign players under a cap system. If he won't sign here he needs to find that Italian suit wearing guy that gave him that last fat contract and sign with him. The fans have to start giving management hell for overpaying players - look how much JR Smith signed with NY for? How many players on the Raptors are overpaid? If he won't sign trade him; we will spend the next 5 years trying to find a replacement for him - thank you very much. He would be a real catch for a contending team but don't think we would get real value for him. I would like to see him on a longer term contract also as I really believe in locking up good players and players with good contracts for a longer time period!

Raptors Republic Rookie Phat Farmer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote DoNDaDDa wrote: View Post
    Bayless has serious problems finishing around the rim... if were to expect Derozn to be around for the future we need someone to come of the bench behind him... not many younger players would enjoy being bench fodder for there carreer, barbosa is a solid 6th man & at a price less then 5mill.. say 4mill. id be ok with him staying around.. just not at what hes making now...

Although I do agree Bayless has problems finishing around the rim, I dont think that is a prerequisite for being a spark plug/6th man off the bench. He is very streaky just like Barbosa and I think he would actually be fine coming off the bench as a 6th man. Although all NBA players, especially younger players, strive to be a starter, Bayless seems to have accepted his role off the bench. He knows he cant complain about starting if he cant get onto the floor. For now he is still in a position where he needs to prove himself. If that means coming off the bench for a couple of years to prove yourself, most NBA players would take that and not complain.

For what it's worth I think within the next 1-2 years we will draft/sign/trade for Derozan's replacement and he will eventually be moved to the bench. Nothing against Derozan, he has shown some flashes over the last few games. On a contending team, which we all hope the Raps are in 2-3 years, I dont see him being more than a 6th or 7th guy, which is still a great role. For now i'm content with him occupying the 2 spot until we find a better alternative

Raptors Republic All-Star DoNDaDDa's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Phat Farmer wrote: View Post
    Although I do agree Bayless has problems finishing around the rim, I dont think that is a prerequisite for being a spark plug/6th man off the bench. He is very streaky just like Barbosa and I think he would actually be fine coming off the bench as a 6th man. Although all NBA players, especially younger players, strive to be a starter, Bayless seems to have accepted his role off the bench. He knows he cant complain about starting if he cant get onto the floor. For now he is still in a position where he needs to prove himself. If that means coming off the bench for a couple of years to prove yourself, most NBA players would take that and not complain.

For what it's worth I think within the next 1-2 years we will draft/sign/trade for Derozan's replacement and he will eventually be moved to the bench. Nothing against Derozan, he has shown some flashes over the last few games. On a contending team, which we all hope the Raps are in 2-3 years, I dont see him being more than a 6th or 7th guy, which is still a great role. For now i'm content with him occupying the 2 spot until we find a better alternative
    one thing barbosa brings tht bayless doesnt is vet. leadership.. someone has to be around to provide that. if barbosa can keep his head up a lil more, see whats around him & make a pass or two. hed fit perfectly going forward,only on a good contract though. i agree with most of what u said about bayless, but i think hes only ok with comming of the bench cause he thinks Jose's days are numbered so hell be starting soon enough.. i dont see him being ok with being 6th man.. i believe he thinks hes good enough to start, if not now then very soon... & i just dont see him ever being starter quality.

i also agree with derozan not being good enough to start on playoff team too.. i hope im wrong on that though

besides BC has made it known that barbosa is one of his favorite players so if the money isnt too high i dont see BC letting him walk..

Post Thanks / Like

3 years and $9M would be good for me.

Include some incentives to get it to $12M over 3 years and I think that is very fair.

Raptors Republic All-Star saints91's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally I think he is just saying it so he won't get traded. Most players don't want to move somewhere where they have no choice. He was close to opting out of his contract last year to go back to Brazil to play. I think he's really not that interested in staying here. He rather just wait till the offseason.

Ryan Wolstat: Leandro Barbosa walked in to the ACC. I asked him if his Brazilian buddy Nene was signing with Toronto. "No man, it's too cold."

I wasn't a big fan of this comment, I think he should be recruiting guys a bit more.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you're being a little too sensitive. It could have been a joke. He could have been serious and that's what Nene told him. Either way I don't see the problem and I'm unsure how you can draw a line between that and him not trying to talk guys into playing in Toronto. It's not even his job to recruit. Management typically asks players to get involved like that and then it's usually the stars who are out there recruiting guys.

Raptors Republic Veteran Bendit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote saints91 wrote: View Post
    Personally I think he is just saying it so he won't get traded. Most players don't want to move somewhere where they have no choice. He was close to opting out of his contract last year to go back to Brazil to play. I think he's really not that interested in staying here. He rather just wait till the offseason.

Ryan Wolstat: Leandro Barbosa walked in to the ACC. I asked him if his Brazilian buddy Nene was signing with Toronto. "No man, it's too cold."

I wasn't a big fan of this comment, I think he should be recruiting guys a bit more.
    Does Denver have palm trees and year round 30 deg. weather? Sometimes I wonder how stuff like that is just put out for consumption....and then consumed. I bet you Denver gets more snow than Toronto and possibly colder. Nene should take up skiing.

Post Thanks / Like

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

if they think its cold their a bunch of pussies thats all i can say.

Raptors Republic All-Star saints91's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Bendit wrote: View Post
    Does Denver have palm trees and year round 30 deg. weather? Sometimes I wonder how stuff like that is just put out for consumption....and then consumed. I bet you Denver gets more snow than Toronto and possibly colder. Nene should take up skiing.
    I am aware of Denver's climate, but Im concentrating more on our current player feeding the stereotype that Toronto is unbarably cold.

I still think he will walk if we don't trade him. That's all I was saying is that he doesn't really care to be in Toronto but he doesn't want to be moved to location not of his choice for the next couple months. He is not a player that we are going to move forward with. I think there is places we can spend that money on. Unless we get him for a ridiculous price ( Matt's suggested 9 million over 3 years.).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote saints91 wrote: View Post
    I am aware of Denver's climate, but Im concentrating more on our current player feeding the stereotype that Toronto is unbarably cold.

I still think he will walk if we don't trade him. That's all I was saying is that he doesn't really care to be in Toronto but he doesn't want to be moved to location not of his choice for the next couple months. He is not a player that we are going to move forward with. I think there is places we can spend that money on. Unless we get him for a ridiculous price ( Matt's suggested 9 million over 3 years.).
    I understand. The igloo myth is an old and tired "joke". This is really a case where a reporter trying to put "news" out there is doing a disservice to journalism by using the tweet medium where context is rarely possible...eg. did LB have a smirk on his face when he said it!

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Barbosa should be traded at the deadline for a young asset and/or a top 20 pick aka Kabongo

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information