Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hugmenot wrote: View Post
    That's the hope.

My guess is Barbosa will sign a 3-year extension worth $12 to 15 millions.
    That would be a fair contract in my opinion.

Comment

Eh, I'll pass. He's the type of player contenders can have the luxury of having but we're a long way from that. Not to mention he's getting older and takes away more from the table that he puts up.
      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

I find it frustrating watching Blur the last month or so ... but I also remember well what he offers, when playing within his role on a highly functioning unit ... adding more skill to both our first and second units will allow him to do what he does best (toast defenders and score the rock), and I think he can do that for another 3-4 years for sure.
        The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

The fact that Barbosa is injury prone is something that I am scared of. We have dodged a bullet this year with him being relatively healthy so far, but given his recent history that could change anytime. Barbosa is a very solid scorer, but that is about it. He is not much of a facilitator or defensive presence, so is not really needed on a rebuilding team at this time. I rather take my chance on a younger replacement and hope he is able to bring another element to the team off the bench. I'd be fine with trading him or letting him walk at the end of the season and handing over the 6th man role to Bayless to see if he claim that role in a contract year.

Comment

SweetRiverBaines wrote: View Post
            Call me a pessimist, but this could be a result of Barbosa's (ex) agent trying to facilitate a trade to a contender and finding no takers, so Barbosa is now just trying to secure a deal...It seems strange that he would complain about our winters, talk about how sad he was to have to leave home and come back after the lockout ended and then want to sign long-term...His agent's failure to get him moved to a contender and/or warmer climate would also explain why he is changing agents.

Having said all that I hope I am dead wrong and he gets traded for something before the deadline, the Raps could always re-sign him in the off-season anyways.
            barbosa wasnt upset he had to come back to our canadian winter... he was upset that after years of playing around xmas time he ws finlly going to be able to spend xmas with his family.... then that all changed with the end of the lockout..

Comment

Phat Farmer wrote: View Post
              The fact that Barbosa is injury prone is something that I am scared of. We have dodged a bullet this year with him being relatively healthy so far, but given his recent history that could change anytime. Barbosa is a very solid scorer, but that is about it. He is not much of a facilitator or defensive presence, so is not really needed on a rebuilding team at this time. I rather take my chance on a younger replacement and hope he is able to bring another element to the team off the bench. I'd be fine with trading him or letting him walk at the end of the season and handing over the 6th man role to Bayless to see if he claim that role in a contract year.
              Bayless has serious problems finishing around the rim... if were to expect Derozn to be around for the future we need someone to come of the bench behind him... not many younger players would enjoy being bench fodder for there carreer, barbosa is a solid 6th man & at a price less then 5mill.. say 4mill. id be ok with him staying around.. just not at what hes making now...

Comment

Barbosa is a last-piece-of-the-puzzle type of player. We don't need to be wasting valuable cap space on an ageing 6th man, while the rest of the roster is still a complete unknown.

Comment

Papa Burgundy wrote: View Post
                  Agreed ... everyone who said he should be given the reigns this year over Calderon, raise your hand ... where are you?
                  I was one too. But like Matt said, it wasn't because I thought Bayless was a good PG, but it was to test IF Bayless was capable of playing PG. And in a season where wins weren't desired, I didn't see any harm in giving Bayless minutes to see what we had in him (if anything).

Yes, Calderon has arguably increased his trade value while logging heavy minutes this season, but unless a trade is actually consummated, increased trade value does nothing for the Raptors.

Comment

Im fine with Barbo getting signed long-term. 20mil for 4 years? too much. 2-3mil per year for 4-5yrs im ok with.

Oh, and as long as he doesnt play in the last 4 minutes of the 4th quarter. That offensive foul last night killed them.

And he's done that a couple of times in the past too.

Comment

I'm not a big fan of Barbosa. If he's hot he's a good scorer but he doesn't really bring anything else to the table and he's streaky. Hard to know what to think of an extension at this point. Depends on the money and length of the contract and it depends on what other options are out there. I'd rather see them move Barbosa for a younger player or pick(s) if they can.

Comment

No thanks. Ill pass.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                          I'm not a big fan of Barbosa. If he's hot he's a good scorer but he doesn't really bring anything else to the table and he's streaky. Hard to know what to think of an extension at this point. Depends on the money and length of the contract and it depends on what other options are out there. I'd rather see them move Barbosa for a younger player or pick(s) if they can.
                          I think on the surface it kinda looks like that, and thats how i saw him too before. But Barbosa is very deceptive, he'll miss 2 threes and lull the defense into thinking he's going to hoist another brick and then he slashes with that quick step. He's literally a spark off the bench. When the offense goes dry, he comes in and starts zigzag his way into the paint or hoists 3s and opens up the defense. Sometimes it looks like he's ball hogging but after 2-3 shots, he drives and kicks or makes drop passes to bigs. He gets at least a steal a game, and even if he doesnt, he's always quick enough to get infront of his man or switch incase of a screen or botched play. He's very unpredictable, yet it can also be his downfall. So like i said, its ok with me if he stays with the team as long as he doesnt play in crunch time.

and his demeanor is a very positive influence in the locker room, much like Calderon. As long as he doesnt go around sleeping with the other player's wives.

Comment

I would be upset if either Barbosa or Bayless were on the Raptors roster next season. They are both black-hole type players that don't understand the concept of team play. With a young core, those are not the values that veteran players should be instilling in the young players as examples of how to contribute to the team. Whatever scoring upside they might have is more than offset by their selfish, one-dimensional play. Trade them both at the deadline or let them walk in the offseason.

Comment

Stop the hedo turkoglu gravy train i want to get off!!!!!

hateslosing wrote: View Post
                              Sign me up, 20 mill over 4 years and I'm super happy. Guy is a super good bench player who accepts his role.
                              I agree with you that he is a very good player that we should be desperate to sign, but only at the right price. We need to figure out how much this guy is worth and not give him a penny more than market value - especially with the new economic realities of the NBA. Championship teams can't afford to pay a premium to sign players under a cap system. If he won't sign here he needs to find that Italian suit wearing guy that gave him that last fat contract and sign with him. The fans have to start giving management hell for overpaying players - look how much JR Smith signed with NY for? How many players on the Raptors are overpaid? If he won't sign trade him; we will spend the next 5 years trying to find a replacement for him - thank you very much. He would be a real catch for a contending team but don't think we would get real value for him. I would like to see him on a longer term contract also as I really believe in locking up good players and players with good contracts for a longer time period!

Comment

DoNDaDDa wrote: View Post
                                Bayless has serious problems finishing around the rim... if were to expect Derozn to be around for the future we need someone to come of the bench behind him... not many younger players would enjoy being bench fodder for there carreer, barbosa is a solid 6th man & at a price less then 5mill.. say 4mill. id be ok with him staying around.. just not at what hes making now...

Although I do agree Bayless has problems finishing around the rim, I dont think that is a prerequisite for being a spark plug/6th man off the bench. He is very streaky just like Barbosa and I think he would actually be fine coming off the bench as a 6th man. Although all NBA players, especially younger players, strive to be a starter, Bayless seems to have accepted his role off the bench. He knows he cant complain about starting if he cant get onto the floor. For now he is still in a position where he needs to prove himself. If that means coming off the bench for a couple of years to prove yourself, most NBA players would take that and not complain.

For what it's worth I think within the next 1-2 years we will draft/sign/trade for Derozan's replacement and he will eventually be moved to the bench. Nothing against Derozan, he has shown some flashes over the last few games. On a contending team, which we all hope the Raps are in 2-3 years, I dont see him being more than a 6th or 7th guy, which is still a great role. For now i'm content with him occupying the 2 spot until we find a better alternative

Comment

Working...
                                X