Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

March 2nd - Memphis Grizzlies (F'in Rudy Gay edition)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• March 2nd - Memphis Grizzlies (F'in Rudy Gay edition)

ESPN Preview:

The Memphis Grizzlies picked up where they left off before the All-Star break by beating the defending NBA champions.

The Grizzlies will try to avoid a letdown when they visit the Toronto Raptors on Friday night.

Memphis closed the first half of the season with an 89-76 win over Atlantic Division-leading Philadelphia on Feb. 21, then came back from the All-Star break and defeated Dallas 96-85 on Wednesday.

Taking advantage of Dirk Nowitzki's absence for much of the game, Marc Gasol had 22 points and 11 rebounds while Mike Conley added 20 points and 10 assists as the Grizzlies (20-15) won for the eighth time in 10 games.

"We all told each other before the break that when we came back, it was a sprint to the finish line," Conley said. "Each game is going to be big, especially starting off against the defending champions. I thought we showed we were hungry and wanted to get off to a good start."

After taking advantage of a stretch of nine of 11 at home, Memphis will play four of five on the road. The Grizzlies have lost six of eight while averaging 90.9 points away from FedEx Forum.

Gasol will try to help Memphis turn things around on the road. He has four double-doubles in his last five games overall, averaging 16.2 points and 11.8 rebounds.

Gasol may be in line for another big effort with Raptors big man Andrea Bargnani likely missing his 17th straight game with a calf injury. The Grizzlies aren't about to offer up any sympathy to a team without its top scorer.

"This season is so condensed that every game means as much as the last," Conley said. "Believe it or not, but the Toronto game is bigger than the Dallas win. Each game gets bigger and bigger, so we have to take it one game at a time."

The Grizzlies have won five straight over the Raptors by an average of 7.2 points. Rudy Gay, who missed the first victory in that stretch, has averaged 21.4 points in his last five games against Toronto.

The Raptors (11-24) have won two of three since a four-game losing streak and are coming off a 95-84 victory at New Orleans on Wednesday.

After scoring a season-low 11 points in the third quarter, Toronto responded with 33 in the fourth to rally from a seven-point deficit. Leandro Barbosa scored 11 of his 15 points in the final period while Linas Kleiza hit three of his five 3-pointers and finished with a game high-tying 21 points.

"We made shots down the stretch and executed and that's what I'm most proud of our guys," coach Dwane Casey said. "Everyone came in, contributed and did a good job."

Kleiza, who missed the final three games heading into the break with a sore left ankle, has provided a lift off the bench. He averaged 15.7 points in February, more than double his average prior to that point.

DeMar DeRozan, meanwhile, averaged 22.8 points in his final five games of the month.

After Bargnani was seemingly working toward a return earlier this week, it's unclear if he'll be back at any point during the Raptors' four-game homestand.

Memories:

Watching and chuckling at that clip from last year, I noticed something. Did anyone see how easy it was for the Grizz to inbound that ball to Conley and get it easily to Gay to execute exactly the way the coach planned? Now think about the numerous 10 second and under sideline inbounds plays that have failed this year in Toronto. My point? Man, I never realized JUST HOW BAD the defense was. Don't get me wrong - I've played a lot of ball and know what defense is all about. However I think the last few years of watching predominantly Raptors basketball numbed my defensive-senses when it came to watching them - like I knew it was bad, but that clip is just baaaaaaaaad.

Matt52 wrote: View Post
    ESPN Preview:
    Watching and chuckling at that clip from last year, I noticed something. Did anyone see how easy it was for the Grizz to inbound that ball to Conley and get it easily to Gay to execute exactly the way the coach planned? Now think about the numerous 10 second and under sideline inbounds plays that have failed this year in Toronto. My point? Man, I never realized JUST HOW BAD the defense was. Don't get me wrong - I've played a lot of ball and know what defense is all about. However I think the last few years of watching predominantly Raptors basketball numbed my defensive-senses when it came to watching them - like I knew it was bad, but that clip is just baaaaaaaaad.
    The lesson? Don't watch other NBA games. It's just too depressing for Raptor fans. My advice is to pick another really bad team to cheer for in another sport like the Browns, Leafs or Astros. They will make you feel better about the Raps.

Comment

That video made my day.

Hopefully the Roll Call after the game wont be the "f'ing Rudy Gay...man" edition.

I am pretty interested to see the matchups in this game (would have been a whole lot more interesting with Bargs), hopefully it is a good game.

I wanna see how Demar goes up against some solid defenders.
      Last edited by Red and White; Fri Mar 2, 2012, 06:48 PM.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
        The lesson? Don't watch other NBA games. It's just too depressing for Raptor fans. My advice is to pick another really bad team to cheer for in another sport like the Browns, Leafs or Astros. They will make you feel better about the Raps.
        Actually I feel pretty good about the Raptors this year. They currently lack the overall talent to truly compete on the offensive end (and the best offensive player out certainly doesn't help) but the difference in 35 games with no training camp is astounding.

Much better days lie directly ahead.

Comment

lol that kid is straight up punjabi. I got a friend who would say the same exact thing. "Fucking Rudy Gay man!"

Comment

I think I am officially off the 'Trade 4 Gay' bandwagon. His demeanour and reaction to teammates is brutal. Granted it has only been 1 quarter but when your man scores in the post, (no offense to James but...) and it is JJ at that, and you put your hands looking at your teammates..... no thank you, sir. That happened twice.

Comment

Ed F'in Davis
              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ESPN Preview:

Memories:

That fan was awesome...I probably sounded like that watching that play/shot. Brutal. I forget who the fruitcake was who was to put up some defense for the inbounds pass but got so easily picked off by Gasol. And JT I wonder if he is learning anything from DC for his next gig. Pound the rock.

Comment

Actually I feel pretty good about the Raptors this year. They currently lack the overall talent to truly compete on the offensive end (and the best offensive player out certainly doesn't help) but the difference in 35 games with no training camp is astounding.

Much better days lie directly ahead.
                  The second unit seems to be handling their first pretty good.....so far!! Even Johnny Davis the asst coach is standing up and engaged (his old team),

Comment

I want that poster of Johnson slamming it in Gays face.

(Does that sound as wrong as I think it does? hahah)

Comment

J F'in J
                      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Lovin' me some Bayless. I'm still a fan.

Comment

KLEIZA!!! EPIC!! 7 Straight!
                          (LK? I don't like it Devlin.)

Comment

Rudy Gay...are you kidding me?

Comment

Fucking rudy gay
                              "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

Working...
                              X