HoopsWorld.com: Aaron Gray on a roll in Toronto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HoopsWorld.com: Aaron Gray on a roll in Toronto

It has been one long extended tryout in Toronto for most of the team this season as Coach Casey and President and General Manager Bryan Colangelo evaluate which current players will continue to be part of the Raptors rebuilding process next year. Gray has been making his case for one of those spots.

“We’ll see,” said Casey. “We are still evaluating. Everyone is still being evaluated. I like a lot of what he is doing. He has great hands. He is smart. He knows all the positions on the floor defensively, so he is doing a good job.”

“I think there is a great opportunity here,” said Gray. “I think I bring something to the team that this team needs, but at the end of the day, it will be their decision because I love the city of Toronto and the team. They are rebuilding and really have a plan that is going in the right direction and to be a part of that would be great.”

A traditional reserve big man, Gray fills a role on the Raptors that can be very hard to fill. One only has to remember the likes of Alexis Ajinca, Patrick O’Bryant, or Loren Woods to realize not all big men are willing to accept the role assigned to them. Toronto has not had many centers that have embraced the role Gray relishes.

Next season, Casey and Colangelo will have a lot decisions to make about which players they wish to go forward with in their attempt to build a future contender, if Gray continues to do what he does, he should earn one of those spots.

Source: Stephen Brotherston, HoopsWorld.com

There is no doubt in my mind Aaron Gray should be one of the players to be brought back next year. Personally I think he has shown enough that Toronto might have competition in retaining his services. Remembering the reserve C's the team has employed over the years makes me value Gray's contributions even more.

ya he does a real good job setting screens, using his size inside & rebounds pretty good... for a reserve big hes perfect.. hopefully he embraces the role...

Comment

I wouldnt mind him backing up Valanciunas next year! I really like what I see from this guy this season.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post

There is no doubt in my mind Aaron Gray should be one of the players to be brought back next year. Personally I think he has shown enough that Toronto might have competition in retaining his services. Remembering the reserve C's the team has employed over the years makes me value Gray's contributions even more.
        Love me some Gray. He's been doing a great job for this team, plus last season in the playoffs for the Hornets when I think Okafor was out, Gray stepped up and gave huge minutes on both ends of the floor, and really helped the team fill a void. Until he rolled his ankle...

Re-sign him for 2-3 years, he would be a great off the bench contributor, and even though he doesn't have the best of potential, his composure, and grind-it-out-game really compliments the team.
        Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Yes I am definitely in the keep Gray camp and remember well how he manhandled Bynum and the Lakers.

Comment

Would love to see the team make a commitment for a couple of years, then see him spend the off0season with a shooting coach working on his foul shot and jumpers from 10 feet out. No reason for him to be such a poor shot.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
              Would love to see the team make a commitment for a couple of years, then see him spend the off0season with a shooting coach working on his foul shot and jumpers from 10 feet out. No reason for him to be such a poor shot.
              just free throws for me. i dont want him ever leaving just under the basket. ed needs the 10-15 footer. all for gray. he has earned it in everyway.

Comment

He is the classic backup centre. He knows his role and his limitations. Good team guy, big body, physical and gives good minutes in place of the starter. He is not looking for an increased role and low maintenance.

Comment

I say start him next year as we ease Jonas into that Center role off the bench. He gives you a high energy defensive game which is what we need when we play defensive liabilities like Bargnani and Demar. With his physique he can match most bulky C in the league and I would be happy to give him a 3 year deal if he keeps up his performances beyond the contract year.

Comment

Does a good Rasho nesterovic impression!
                    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

enlightenment wrote: View Post
                      Does a good Rasho nesterovic impression!
                      Without the shot!

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post

+1

he has made a believer out of me. Not a star but a non-shot blocking rugged interior defender with Center size. Great depth guy if the price is right.
                        "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Comment

I'd be willing to throw down a little bit of coin to keep Gray. He has been solid as our back up center and isn't one of those guys I would cringe to see starting (Magloire) if we had an injury. We will need someone with some true center size next season when Val is up against guys that are too big for him to cover, Gray can fill that role nicely. Best part is that he is fairly young (27) and has excepted his role.
                          "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

I wrote not to long ago that Gray was a fantastic option as the 4th big 10 - 20 minutes a game for 2 - 4 million a year
                            For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Working...
                            X