Thread: Tank Nation

Raptors Republic Starter albertan_10's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Tank Nation

I'm not one to support tanking because eventually these guys have to win games for all the losing to be worth while. Bargnani being out this long though has really helped put the team into a position to get the #1 pick.

The cool part about this year is that you can see development from this team. They're in most games and they seem to be playing hard. The other part I really enjoy seeing is a coach who benches people. I'm not privy to what happened a couple games ago when DeRozan got benched in the fourth, nor does it matter. I like the fact that Casey has the ability to control players minutes. He's in charge.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

I think we are way too deep in this season to start winning game so might as well get the best draft position as possible. HOWEVER, next year, it's time to start winning games. Also, as albertan_10 mentioned, the raps are in a lot more games this year, making it a lot more fun to watch compared to last year where we got blown what very often.

Post Thanks / Like

We're losing most games by a couple points every game without our best player on our way to a high draft pick. I'd say this season has been a rousing success.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Bargnani's return is going to feel like we signed a really good FA.. for free!

Raptors Republic Superstar ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope we get a great draft pick, (I hope Barnes or MKG, if not, PJ3), and Valanciunas can contribute right away. Plus BC never stays away from making moves in the off-season, and we'll hit the ground running.

Raptors Republic Starter GameBreaker's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't condone tanking. Games are made to win. Tankers are the same guys that would bend over in jail before they fight for themselves jus because they're outnumbered. Lol. Wusses tank. Real ball players and men that live the game, will play hard for 4 quarters no matter what. Y'all been screaming tank for the last 3 years. It's so wack. Lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote GameBreaker wrote: View Post
    I don't condone tanking. Games are made to win. Tankers are the same guys that would bend over in jail before they fight for themselves jus because they're outnumbered. Lol. Wusses tank. Real ball players and men that live the game, will play hard for 4 quarters no matter what. Y'all been screaming tank for the last 3 years. It's so wack. Lol
    True... with that said, I don't think the Raptors are by any means tanking this year...they just don't have the talent or experience to win yet.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Who is Bargnani?

Raptors Republic All-Star Jclaw's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    We're losing most games by a couple points every game without our best player on our way to a high draft pick. I'd say this season has been a rousing success.
    Could not agree more.

Raptors Republic All-Star Jclaw's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

This isn't tanking. Charlotte is tanking. Washington is tanking. When they lose, they lose big. We are getting close and if we happen to draft a bit higher because bargnani misses half the season, that's the bonus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote IROR wrote: View Post
    True... with that said, I don't think the Raptors are by any means tanking this year...they just don't have the talent or experience to win yet.
    +1

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

You must be a Leafs fan.

And/or just not understand how important draft success is to NBA franchises.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Lark Benson wrote: View Post
    You must be a Leafs fan.

And/or just not understand how important draft success is to NBA franchises.
    Yeah but you're made to win games. This team is doing their best to win, it's not their choice to tank games. I'm pretty sure it is BC trying to tank by adding Rasual Butler to this team. Lack of talent is a big part of us losing, if Bargnani, Valanciunas, and that draft pick came, we would be winning more games definitely.

Post Thanks / Like

The interesting thing about this month is that Jose could be traded by the time Bargnani is ready to come back and Jose leaving could be just as detrimental to this particular roster team as Bargnani being out. In other words if Jose gets trade for picks you'll probably see a whole lot more losing and some really pathetic offense.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    The interesting thing about this month is that Jose could be traded by the time Bargnani is ready to come back and Jose leaving could be just as detrimental to this particular roster team as Bargnani being out. In other words if Jose gets trade for picks you'll probably see a whole lot more losing and some really pathetic offense.
    I don't want Jose leaving, he could be a very valuable piece in terms of "hitting the ground running" for the team. He's a great playmaker for the team, and unless Bayless can prove he's a point guard that can get everyone the ball and NOT run iso plays every second possession, Jose needs to be here. BC loves Jose, I hope he's here, unless the deal is just right.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Lol, a clear lack of understanding that 1) you need talent to win games, and 2) it's management who performs the tank (not the players).
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
    I don't want Jose leaving, he could be a very valuable piece in terms of "hitting the ground running" for the team. He's a great playmaker for the team, and unless Bayless can prove he's a point guard that can get everyone the ball and NOT run iso plays every second possession, Jose needs to be here. BC loves Jose, I hope he's here, unless the deal is just right.
    Bayless probably won't be here after this season. I don't see them giving him the $4M qualifying offer. If they deal Jose now I think they'll free fall the rest of the way. I'm sure Colangelo wouldn't be broken up by that if you asked him in private. If they deal Jose you'll see a totally new look at the PG spot in Toronto and it will probably come via FA but it could also come in part through the draft if they add a pick. I could see someone like Felton or Augustin in Toronto next season.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The year was 2009 and the Jermaine O'Neal experiment had run its course. The last-legs big man was traded to Miami, who coveted his massive expiring contract so they could (eventually) sign LeBron James and Chris Bosh.

Sam Mitchell was fired early in the season and replaced with Jay Triano, and while a lost season remained lost, there was much official optimism placed on the Raptors finish that year, as they went 9-4 down the stretch.

A month after the season ended Triano was given a three-year contract based, in part, on the team's strong finish. Nothing wrong with that, except that strong finish in a lost season saw the Raptors picking ninth in the 2009 draft instead of seventh, conceivably.

The Raptors got DeMar DeRozan, the two-guard who certainly looked the part as he put up 25 points in Toronto's 83-75 win. But Golden State got Stephen Curry at the No.7 spot.

The son of former Raptor Dell Curry, the budding All-Star didn't play in the skills competition due to a foot injury, but chances are it won't be the last for the silky smooth pick-and-roll maestro.
    It's why this season, painful as it may be, any steps the Raptors can take short of outright throwing games to ensure they pick fifth instead of 10th is simply good business.
    Tanking is a word that gets tossed around pretty freely, but there's a difference between purposely losing games and simply accepting fate, losing your share and living to fight another day bolstered by stronger draft talent.

It's called rebuilding.
    http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2012/...ptors_rebuild/
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Thread Information