Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Will the raptors make the playoffs next year?

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Will the raptors make the playoffs next year?

I think that this team has underachieved a tiny bit this year and with a full season of AB, JV + pick and the state of the eastern conference, the raps have a good shot. Predictions?

Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

i think that if the draft goes right then yes we will be in the playoffs next year as a 8-6 seed

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Miekenstien wrote: View Post
    i think that if the draft goes right then yes we will be in the playoffs next year as a 8-6 seed
    Agreed.

PG - Jose Calderon, Jerryd Bayless
    SG - Demar Derozan, Leandro Barbosa or F.A
    SF - Draft pick, James Johnson, Linas Kleiza, Gary Forbes
    PF - Andrea Bargnani, Amir Johnson, Ed Davis
    C - Jonas Valanciunas, Aaron Gray, Jamaal Magloire

That should be a balanced team, and with a good full training camp, and a off-season to work with the coaching staff, the team can make good strides for next season.

Raptors Republic Starter knickz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

if the nets don't get d Howard, the Atlantic division will be ours for years to come
    "the raptors were my fav team growing up"-kevin durant

Raptors Republic Starter Papa Burgundy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
    PG - Jose Calderon, Jerryd Bayless
    SG - Demar Derozan, Leandro Barbosa or F.A
    SF - Draft pick, James Johnson, Linas Kleiza, Gary Forbes
    PF - Andrea Bargnani, Amir Johnson, Ed Davis
    C - Jonas Valanciunas, Aaron Gray, Jamaal Magloire
    The only changes I would make here would be, someone other than Bayless of the bench PG (Ramon Sessions?). And the draft pick would be at the SG or PG spot (Beal, Rivers, Lamb, etc.)
    The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to wait until I see what this team looks like after free agency and just as importantly, what the rest of the east looks like after free agency. Asking this now seems ridiculously premature to me.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    I'm going to wait until I see what this team looks like after free agency and just as importantly, what the rest of the east looks like after free agency. Asking this now seems ridiculously premature to me.
    Agreed.

It's fun to speculate, but we really have no idea what this team will look like come September. It seems like every single player could be moved if the price was right.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It's definitely too early to speculate, but I got stuck for a few seconds on the 7th word. Underachieved?!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    agree with the wing king but i could definitely see them getting a 7 or 8 seed next year. the team's been scrappy all year and been missing its best player for most of it. seems like every loss is by 2 or 3 points, too. if Bargs is here do we win those games? does BC stop texting Casey to put Butler in at the end of close games?

next year we'll have big Val (oh how our expectations are so lofty already) and a lotto pick player (hopefully we don't screw it up) PLUS most likely a quality player or 2 through FA so by all logic we should be even better right?

but yeah, like apollo said i want to see the roster first. BC could very well strike out completely this offseason (not saying i think he will) so im going to temper my enthusiasm a bit.
    @jerboat

Raptors Republic Starter saints91's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It's to early to predict. Barring any major injury, we should be poised to make the playoffs next year. If we don't I think it's a huge failure on the managements side. Two high prospects coming in, lots cap room, and the young talent we have progressing over the summer there is no reason to expect less.

I don't agree with the line up you have posted. I think the pieces going ahead on this roster should be DeRozan, Bargnani, Calderon, Ed Davis, Amir, JJ, Kleiza, Gray (for the right price), Forbes (only because he has another year left) and possibly Barbosa (for the right price). The rest of the spots need to be upgraded.

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

next year is our time to take over the Atlantic division and setup camp there for a couple of decades and make the playoffs. I'm soo hyped for next season woooooooo!

Post Thanks / Like

man you are going to be so bummed
    @jerboat

Raptors Republic All-Star hateslosing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I DD plays like he has been since Feb and Bargs is at his early season form, I think we make the playoffs easily. I think next year we have:

Jose, Bayless
    DD, Barbosa (Based on recent reports, I think he stays)
    JJ, Keliza
    Bargs, Ed
    Amir, Val, Gray

Plus the pick. That is a team that can make some noise in the playoffs. This team is only getting better. Casey has them buying in and the defense, especially on the inside, is very nice. If we can improve our perimeter D and get the offense flowing smoother (Bargs will help with that) this team is going to be very very good.
    "When Life gives you lemons, you clone those Lemons to make super lemons!"
    -Scudworth

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Too many unknowns to assume everything will turn out positively in our favour:

- Can Bargnani plan efficiently for a full 82-game season?
    - Will Calderon be traded? If not, can he stay relatively healthy after playing for Spain all summer?
    - Will Barbosa be traded?
    - Will one of Amir/Davis be traded?
    - Will Bayless' option be picked up?
    - Where do we land in the draft lottery?
    - Who do we pick with our selection?
    - If trades are made, do we obtain any extra 2012 picks? If so, who else do we pick?
    - Will Valanciunas struggle out of the gates?
    - Can DeRozan maintain a level of consistency?
    - Does Kleiza's knee remain trouble-free?
    - Will JJ learn how to shoot?
    - etc., etc.

We're far from a well-oiled machine to be making conclusions about the playoffs just yet.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

Based on the expectations I see posted here daily, what Valanciunas contributes next season will be viewed as a disappointment. He's young, he's never played North American ball and he still needs to add a lot of weight. He's probably two or three seasons away(minimum one season) from producing what some people around here feel he should contribute right out of the gate. I expect "Trade JV" threads by December.

Whether it be Pau, Dirk, Marc, Andrea, you name him, they all take time to acclimate to American ball. The only exceptions seem to be when guys come over who are much older, like Jorge Garbajosa for example. He entered the league as a fundamentally sound, battle tested grown man. He hit the ground running. JV isn't that.

Raptors Republic All-Star charlesnba23's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think that if Bryan Colangelo does a good job on draft night and this summer, yes, we have a pretty decent chance to make it to the playoffs.

Valanciunas/Gray
    Bargnani/Davis/Johnson
    Barnes/Kleiza/Johnson
    DeRozan/Mayo
    Calderon/Hinrich

Raptors Republic Starter saints91's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

the line up above would be sweet! I would prefer Dragic or Sessions over Hinrich though

I really don;t expect much from JV next year. I'm predicting 8pts, 8 rbs average in 30mins., some where around there. I think it's having a healthy Bargs, signing a couple good free agents and having Ed, DeMar improving their games is what puts us over the edge. The Rookies will be better than Big Cat and Butler, that's a for sure!
    Last edited by saints91; Mon Mar 5th, 2012 at 12:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote koncept wrote: View Post
    I think that this team has underachieved a tiny bit this year and with a full season of AB, JV + pick and the state of the eastern conference, the raps have a good shot. Predictions?
    TBH, I kinda think this team has overachieved this year. If you look at our starting line up (without bargnani), there are more no names than anyteam in the league. Excluding the bobcats of course.

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Too many unknowns to assume everything will turn out positively in our favour:

- Can Bargnani plan efficiently for a full 82-game season?
    - Will Calderon be traded? If not, can he stay relatively healthy after playing for Spain all summer?
    - Will Barbosa be traded?
    - Will one of Amir/Davis be traded?
    - Will Bayless' option be picked up?
    - Where do we land in the draft lottery?
    - Who do we pick with our selection?
    - If trades are made, do we obtain any extra 2012 picks? If so, who else do we pick?
    - Will Valanciunas struggle out of the gates?
    - Can DeRozan maintain a level of consistency?
    - Does Kleiza's knee remain trouble-free?
    - Will JJ learn how to shoot?
    - etc., etc.

We're far from a well-oiled machine to be making conclusions about the playoffs just yet.
    Not to mention what all the other teams in the east are going to look like next season.

Raptors Republic All-Star charlesnba23's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I agree with you on that one. I put Hinrich, but the point is I want them to get a real backup PG. Dragic, Sessions, Hinrich... Any of them would make me happier than Bayless. Oh, Steve Nash too.

Thread Information