Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will the raptors make the playoffs next year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will the raptors make the playoffs next year?

I think that this team has underachieved a tiny bit this year and with a full season of AB, JV + pick and the state of the eastern conference, the raps have a good shot. Predictions?
    in masai we trust

water covers 98% of the earth, Mitchell Robinson covers the other 2%

i think that if the draft goes right then yes we will be in the playoffs next year as a 8-6 seed

Comment

Miekenstien wrote: View Post
      i think that if the draft goes right then yes we will be in the playoffs next year as a 8-6 seed
      Agreed.

PG - Jose Calderon, Jerryd Bayless
      SG - Demar Derozan, Leandro Barbosa or F.A
      SF - Draft pick, James Johnson, Linas Kleiza, Gary Forbes
      PF - Andrea Bargnani, Amir Johnson, Ed Davis
      C - Jonas Valanciunas, Aaron Gray, Jamaal Magloire

That should be a balanced team, and with a good full training camp, and a off-season to work with the coaching staff, the team can make good strides for next season.
      Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

if the nets don't get d Howard, the Atlantic division will be ours for years to come
        "the raptors were my fav team growing up"-kevin durant

Comment

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
          PG - Jose Calderon, Jerryd Bayless
          SG - Demar Derozan, Leandro Barbosa or F.A
          SF - Draft pick, James Johnson, Linas Kleiza, Gary Forbes
          PF - Andrea Bargnani, Amir Johnson, Ed Davis
          C - Jonas Valanciunas, Aaron Gray, Jamaal Magloire
          The only changes I would make here would be, someone other than Bayless of the bench PG (Ramon Sessions?). And the draft pick would be at the SG or PG spot (Beal, Rivers, Lamb, etc.)
          The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

I'm going to wait until I see what this team looks like after free agency and just as importantly, what the rest of the east looks like after free agency. Asking this now seems ridiculously premature to me.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
              I'm going to wait until I see what this team looks like after free agency and just as importantly, what the rest of the east looks like after free agency. Asking this now seems ridiculously premature to me.
              Agreed.

It's fun to speculate, but we really have no idea what this team will look like come September. It seems like every single player could be moved if the price was right.

Comment

It's definitely too early to speculate, but I got stuck for a few seconds on the 7th word. Underachieved?!
                your pal,
                ebrian

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                  agree with the wing king but i could definitely see them getting a 7 or 8 seed next year. the team's been scrappy all year and been missing its best player for most of it. seems like every loss is by 2 or 3 points, too. if Bargs is here do we win those games? does BC stop texting Casey to put Butler in at the end of close games?

next year we'll have big Val (oh how our expectations are so lofty already) and a lotto pick player (hopefully we don't screw it up) PLUS most likely a quality player or 2 through FA so by all logic we should be even better right?

but yeah, like apollo said i want to see the roster first. BC could very well strike out completely this offseason (not saying i think he will) so im going to temper my enthusiasm a bit.
                  @sweatpantsjer

Comment

It's to early to predict. Barring any major injury, we should be poised to make the playoffs next year. If we don't I think it's a huge failure on the managements side. Two high prospects coming in, lots cap room, and the young talent we have progressing over the summer there is no reason to expect less.

I don't agree with the line up you have posted. I think the pieces going ahead on this roster should be DeRozan, Bargnani, Calderon, Ed Davis, Amir, JJ, Kleiza, Gray (for the right price), Forbes (only because he has another year left) and possibly Barbosa (for the right price). The rest of the spots need to be upgraded.

Comment

next year is our time to take over the Atlantic division and setup camp there for a couple of decades and make the playoffs. I'm soo hyped for next season woooooooo!

Comment

man you are going to be so bummed
                        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

I DD plays like he has been since Feb and Bargs is at his early season form, I think we make the playoffs easily. I think next year we have:

Jose, Bayless
                          DD, Barbosa (Based on recent reports, I think he stays)
                          JJ, Keliza
                          Bargs, Ed
                          Amir, Val, Gray

Plus the pick. That is a team that can make some noise in the playoffs. This team is only getting better. Casey has them buying in and the defense, especially on the inside, is very nice. If we can improve our perimeter D and get the offense flowing smoother (Bargs will help with that) this team is going to be very very good.
                          "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

Too many unknowns to assume everything will turn out positively in our favour:

- Can Bargnani plan efficiently for a full 82-game season?
                            - Will Calderon be traded? If not, can he stay relatively healthy after playing for Spain all summer?
                            - Will Barbosa be traded?
                            - Will one of Amir/Davis be traded?
                            - Will Bayless' option be picked up?
                            - Where do we land in the draft lottery?
                            - Who do we pick with our selection?
                            - If trades are made, do we obtain any extra 2012 picks? If so, who else do we pick?
                            - Will Valanciunas struggle out of the gates?
                            - Can DeRozan maintain a level of consistency?
                            - Does Kleiza's knee remain trouble-free?
                            - Will JJ learn how to shoot?
                            - etc., etc.

We're far from a well-oiled machine to be making conclusions about the playoffs just yet.

Comment

Based on the expectations I see posted here daily, what Valanciunas contributes next season will be viewed as a disappointment. He's young, he's never played North American ball and he still needs to add a lot of weight. He's probably two or three seasons away(minimum one season) from producing what some people around here feel he should contribute right out of the gate. I expect "Trade JV" threads by December.

Whether it be Pau, Dirk, Marc, Andrea, you name him, they all take time to acclimate to American ball. The only exceptions seem to be when guys come over who are much older, like Jorge Garbajosa for example. He entered the league as a fundamentally sound, battle tested grown man. He hit the ground running. JV isn't that.

Comment

Working...
                              X