Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will the raptors make the playoffs next year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think that if Bryan Colangelo does a good job on draft night and this summer, yes, we have a pretty decent chance to make it to the playoffs.

Valanciunas/Gray
    Bargnani/Davis/Johnson
    Barnes/Kleiza/Johnson
    DeRozan/Mayo
    Calderon/Hinrich

Comment

the line up above would be sweet! I would prefer Dragic or Sessions over Hinrich though

I really don;t expect much from JV next year. I'm predicting 8pts, 8 rbs average in 30mins., some where around there. I think it's having a healthy Bargs, signing a couple good free agents and having Ed, DeMar improving their games is what puts us over the edge. The Rookies will be better than Big Cat and Butler, that's a for sure!
      Last edited by saints91; Mon Mar 5, 2012, 01:50 PM.

Comment

koncept wrote: View Post
        I think that this team has underachieved a tiny bit this year and with a full season of AB, JV + pick and the state of the eastern conference, the raps have a good shot. Predictions?
        TBH, I kinda think this team has overachieved this year. If you look at our starting line up (without bargnani), there are more no names than anyteam in the league. Excluding the bobcats of course.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
          Too many unknowns to assume everything will turn out positively in our favour:

- Can Bargnani plan efficiently for a full 82-game season?
          - Will Calderon be traded? If not, can he stay relatively healthy after playing for Spain all summer?
          - Will Barbosa be traded?
          - Will one of Amir/Davis be traded?
          - Will Bayless' option be picked up?
          - Where do we land in the draft lottery?
          - Who do we pick with our selection?
          - If trades are made, do we obtain any extra 2012 picks? If so, who else do we pick?
          - Will Valanciunas struggle out of the gates?
          - Can DeRozan maintain a level of consistency?
          - Does Kleiza's knee remain trouble-free?
          - Will JJ learn how to shoot?
          - etc., etc.

We're far from a well-oiled machine to be making conclusions about the playoffs just yet.
          Not to mention what all the other teams in the east are going to look like next season.

Comment

Yeah I agree with you on that one. I put Hinrich, but the point is I want them to get a real backup PG. Dragic, Sessions, Hinrich... Any of them would make me happier than Bayless. Oh, Steve Nash too.

Comment

Papa Burgundy wrote: View Post
              The only changes I would make here would be, someone other than Bayless of the bench PG (Ramon Sessions?). And the draft pick would be at the SG or PG spot (Beal, Rivers, Lamb, etc.)
              Beal, Rivers, or Lamb would be awesome. They could get equal minutes with Demar, and then unless Demar consistently performs, they could transition into the starting lineup, or be our sixth man i.e James Harden, OJ Mayo.
              Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Yes. Raptors WILL make playoffs next year.
                The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

Too many unknowns to assume everything will turn out positively in our favour:

- Can Bargnani plan efficiently for a full 82-game season?
                  - Will Calderon be traded? If not, can he stay relatively healthy after playing for Spain all summer?
                  - Will Barbosa be traded?
                  - Will one of Amir/Davis be traded?
                  - Will Bayless' option be picked up?
                  - Where do we land in the draft lottery?
                  - Who do we pick with our selection?
                  - If trades are made, do we obtain any extra 2012 picks? If so, who else do we pick?
                  - Will Valanciunas struggle out of the gates?
                  - Can DeRozan maintain a level of consistency?
                  - Does Kleiza's knee remain trouble-free?
                  - Will JJ learn how to shoot?
                  - etc., etc.

We're far from a well-oiled machine to be making conclusions about the playoffs just yet.
                  Every team has their problems, whether they are making the playoffs or not.

Chicago

-Can Richard Hamilton can healthy?
                  -Can Derrick Rose stay healthy?
                  -Can Joakim Noah pick up his play?
                  -Will they get enough out of their front court?
                  -Can they be able to help Derrick Rose come playoff time?
                  -Can Boozer pick up his former all-star form play?

Miami

-Will Lebron perform in the fourth quarter?
                  -Can Chris Bosh perform at a high lever come playoff time?
                  -Can Dwayne Wade and Lebron carry this team consistently?
                  -Will they crunch under the zone defense.
                  -Will they crunch under pressure?
                  -Can Miami's bench step up consistenly?
                  -Who do they go to in the final seconds?
                  -will Lebron keep passing off final shots?
                  -Is Chris Bosh the most important key on Miami?

Those are playoff teams you can say they are far from a well-oiled machine to be making conclusions about winning a championship.

New Jersey

-Is Deron Williams staying?
                  -Is Dwight Howard coming?
                  -Constant Trade rumors
                  -What happens with Brook Lopez
                  -Whos staying, who's going?
                  -Will Deron Williams be able to work with Dwight Howard?
                  -Draft pick
                  -Lottery balls dropping where?

Sacramento

-Will Demarcus Cousins ever mature
                  -Is Tyreke Evans a point guard?
                  -How do we juggle minutes between Evans, Fredette, and Thomas?
                  -Are we going to be in Sacramento?
                  -Who do we get in the draft?
                  -Where are we going to drop in the draft lottery?

No team is perfect, they all have their separate problems. You can't just point out problems and say they aren't going to improve. Every team has imperfections and problems that come across, but every team goes through it, what makes a team is they get through the hump and fix their problems. There is never going to be a team without a problem/flaw.

Comment

Chicago and Miami will remain championship contenders even if those questions aren't answered.

We can't say the same about the Raptors, which is why it's difficult to conclude we'll be in the playoffs next year based on what we know today. If we heard New Jersey or Sacramento fans making these claims, we'd laugh in their faces.

Comment

80% sure we will. If we wont BC might be gone i'm pretty sure next year is the last year on his contract. If we make the playoffs he'll be extended

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                        80% sure we will. If we wont BC might be gone i'm pretty sure next year is the last year on his contract. If we make the playoffs he'll be extended
                        Man, I'm agreeing with NoProps... this might be a first for me. I think Colangelo is going to do whatever it takes to get into the playoffs next year. Other than Derozan, he doesn't have any RFAs/UFAs he needs to re-sign and he's going to have 3 guys on rookie deals. He's got a lot of flexibility with Barbosa and maybe Calderon off the books and 4 years out of the playoffs is a great motivator to get some things done. He'll need some luck but with Bargs, JV, 2012 1st, Derozan (if he shows up for a full season), Davis/Amir, Kleiza, JJ, Barbosa, Calderon.... he's got some assets to work with.

Comment

Chicago and Miami will remain championship contenders even if those questions aren't answered.

We can't say the same about the Raptors, which is why it's difficult to conclude we'll be in the playoffs next year based on what we know today. If we heard New Jersey or Sacramento fans making these claims, we'd laugh in their faces.
                          But we're talking about playoffs next year?

Sacramento can make run for it, cause Demarcus Cousins is buying into Keith Smart's system, and Isaiah Thomas is looking intriguing, plus they'll have a draft pick coming in.

Nets are if Dwight Howard comes to the Nets, they'll be a playoff team, just because it's a huge upgrade at the centre. Plus, if everyone is healthy, without D12, they can be a playoff team. It's just injuries really affected them like they've affected us.

Comment

I don't necessarily think the raps are a strong candidate for playoffs, just wanted to generate some discussion. We've been doing the rebuilding thing for a while, I'm curious when people expect the raptors to be a playoff team.

Raptors never make a splash in the FA signing, anyone we sign is usually overpaid or bench players. This team might have to do some more lottery drafting before the core is formed.
                            in masai we trust

water covers 98% of the earth, Mitchell Robinson covers the other 2%

Comment

koncept wrote: View Post
                              I don't necessarily think the raps are a strong candidate for playoffs, just wanted to generate some discussion. We've been doing the rebuilding thing for a while, I'm curious when people expect the raptors to be a playoff team.

Raptors never make a splash in the FA signing, anyone we sign is usually overpaid or bench players. This team might have to do some more lottery drafting before the core is formed.
                              The rebuild thing has been going on for 1 and 1/2 season or 1 and 1/2 year. If Toronto are even close to competing for a playoff spot next year, that will be a very fast rebuild. Minnesota took around 7 seasons and the Clippers took about 10 years. Even OKC took 5 years.

Comment

i think that we could have been borderline playoffs this year with a healthy bargs. miami, chicago, atlanta, phili in. boston*, new york*, brooklyn*, orlando*, indi* i think we will be in this group unless bigv or our draft pick end up a superstar in the making.

really looking at it we seem to be getting better as the entire conference becomes more competitive but we are in next year.

Comment

Working...
                                X