Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will the raptors make the playoffs next year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apollo wrote: View Post
    I'm going to wait until I see what this team looks like after free agency and just as importantly, what the rest of the east looks like after free agency. Asking this now seems ridiculously premature to me.
    +1

Beyond ridiculously premature.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
      The rebuild thing has been going on for 1 and 1/2 season or 1 and 1/2 year. If Toronto are even close to competing for a playoff spot next year, that will be a very fast rebuild. Minnesota took around 7 seasons and the Clippers took about 10 years. Even OKC took 5 years.
      +1

Not sure how many fans realize that.

Comment

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
        Every team has their problems, whether they are making the playoffs or not.

Chicago

-Can Richard Hamilton can healthy?
        -Can Derrick Rose stay healthy?
        -Can Joakim Noah pick up his play?
        -Will they get enough out of their front court?
        -Can they be able to help Derrick Rose come playoff time?
        -Can Boozer pick up his former all-star form play?

Miami

-Will Lebron perform in the fourth quarter?
        -Can Chris Bosh perform at a high lever come playoff time?
        -Can Dwayne Wade and Lebron carry this team consistently?
        -Will they crunch under the zone defense.
        -Will they crunch under pressure?
        -Can Miami's bench step up consistenly?
        -Who do they go to in the final seconds?
        -will Lebron keep passing off final shots?
        -Is Chris Bosh the most important key on Miami?

Those are playoff teams you can say they are far from a well-oiled machine to be making conclusions about winning a championship.

New Jersey

-Is Deron Williams staying?
        -Is Dwight Howard coming?
        -Constant Trade rumors
        -What happens with Brook Lopez
        -Whos staying, who's going?
        -Will Deron Williams be able to work with Dwight Howard?
        -Draft pick
        -Lottery balls dropping where?

Sacramento

-Will Demarcus Cousins ever mature
        -Is Tyreke Evans a point guard?
        -How do we juggle minutes between Evans, Fredette, and Thomas?
        -Are we going to be in Sacramento?
        -Who do we get in the draft?
        -Where are we going to drop in the draft lottery?

No team is perfect, they all have their separate problems. You can't just point out problems and say they aren't going to improve. Every team has imperfections and problems that come across, but every team goes through it, what makes a team is they get through the hump and fix their problems. There is never going to be a team without a problem/flaw.
        Every team you named has more talent than the Raptors

Comment

sleepz wrote: View Post
          Every team you named has more talent than the Raptors
          Doesn't mean they won't have talent next year. We have potential talent in Demar, JJ, Ed, Andrea, Big V.

Rebuilding takes a while, but I'm gonna run with BC and want to hit the ground running. Cause I remember Philly went through only 1 and a half or 2 seasons and look where they were last season, even this season. You never know, with talent coming in for sure this summer can translate into a faster rebuild than we expect and as fast as we want.
          Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Doesn't mean they won't have talent next year. We have potential talent in Demar, JJ, Ed, Andrea, Big V.

Rebuilding takes a while, but I'm gonna run with BC and want to hit the ground running. Cause I remember Philly went through only 1 and a half or 2 seasons and look where they were last season, even this season. You never know, with talent coming in for sure this summer can translate into a faster rebuild than we expect and as fast as we want.
            True, but at this point, it seems more like hope, rather than an extrapolated prediction.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
              True, but at this point, it seems more like hope, rather than an extrapolated prediction.
              I guess you can say that, no real points to say we will unless we see everything.

Comment

I guess you can say that, no real points to say we will unless we see everything.
                The whole thread is a waste of time, if we're comparing our hopes for next season. What Raptors fan wouldn't hope that they win the championship next season?

Expectations for next season shouldn't be discussed until the day the season starts, after player movement (trade deadline, offseason, draft, free agency, etc...) and training camp, to see where the dust settles, so to speak, for the Raptors and the rest of the Eastern Conference.

We might as well be discussing what housing will eventually look like on the moon, since there are so many variables and factors that will absolutely change between now and next season, which will undoubtedly impact our individual and collective expectations for the Raptors 2012-2013 season.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                  The whole thread is a waste of time, if we're comparing our hopes for next season. What Raptors fan wouldn't hope that they win the championship next season?

Expectations for next season shouldn't be discussed until the day the season starts, after player movement (trade deadline, offseason, draft, free agency, etc...) and training camp, to see where the dust settles, so to speak, for the Raptors and the rest of the Eastern Conference.

We might as well be discussing what housing will eventually look like on the moon, since there are so many variables and factors that will absolutely change between now and next season, which will undoubtedly impact our individual and collective expectations for the Raptors 2012-2013 season.
                  I don't think it's a waste of time, more so a hope of time. It was a good conversation thread.

Comment

matt52 wrote: View Post
                    the rebuild thing has been going on for 1 and 1/2 season or 1 and 1/2 year. If toronto are even close to competing for a playoff spot next year, that will be a very fast rebuild. Minnesota took around 7 seasons and the clippers took about 10 years. Even okc took 5 years.
                    ouch.

Comment

Raptors have been picking in the lottery for the last 3 years now. How long you spend at the bottom depends a lot on if you screw up your draft picks. Bargnani, DeRozan, Ed, and Jonas all seem like pretty solid picks.

It's easy to forget as a Raptor fan, but making the playoffs isn't actually the big hurdle. It's not really all that hard; more than half of all teams make the playoffs each year. The hard thing is making the conference finals.

The question about our lineup plus Valanciunas and draft pick yet to be named and free agent signing yet to be named is not: will that team be playoff calibre? It will absolutely be playoff calibre. Our team right NOW is almost playoff calibre when Bargnani is healthy. Just the improvement we would expect with Bargnani, Johnson, DeRozan, Ed., etc as they mature and develop their games should be enough to make us competitive for the playoffs. The big question is whether our guys plus the additions we can count on are good enough to make the eastern conference finals (not win: make). That is MUCH more doubtful, but it's not impossible: it depends on how good our top guys become.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                        Man, I'm agreeing with NoProps... this might be a first for me. I think Colangelo is going to do whatever it takes to get into the playoffs next year. Other than Derozan, he doesn't have any RFAs/UFAs he needs to re-sign and he's going to have 3 guys on rookie deals. He's got a lot of flexibility with Barbosa and maybe Calderon off the books and 4 years out of the playoffs is a great motivator to get some things done. He'll need some luck but with Bargs, JV, 2012 1st, Derozan (if he shows up for a full season), Davis/Amir, Kleiza, JJ, Barbosa, Calderon.... he's got some assets to work with.
                        I think we'll make it for sure. who is our competition? the bucks? lol

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                          ...We might as well be discussing what housing will eventually look like on the moon, since there are so many variables and factors that will absolutely change between now and next season, ....
                          Well, obviously sectional buildings, since most parts will have to be manufactured in-situ. Given the make up of the moons "soil" probably some kind of ceramic or silica based structural units, buried in regolith, to protect inhabitants from cosmic rays and high level radiation during solar flares. Curved segments are inherently stronger, so you can expect the inside of buildings to look much like quonset hut type construction. Space will be at a premium, so there is no doubt...Oh, that was just a figure of speech. Sorry.

Comment

Yes We Can

I think the argument can be made that if we had a healthy Andrea Bargnani we would be in a position to make the playoffs THIS year. So ... yes with a healthy andrea bargnani, and JV we can definitely be a playoff team next year.
                            "Defense wins championships."

Comment

No point in even speculating at this point....i'm waiting til after the draft til I drink any kool aid

Comment

SuperRaptor wrote: View Post
                                I think the argument can be made that if we had a healthy Andrea Bargnani we would be in a position to make the playoffs THIS year. So ... yes with a healthy andrea bargnani, and JV we can definitely be a playoff team next year.
                                We were 6-7 with him. So I guess you can back that up with this record statement, but it's not .500, so it's still a raw statement.

Comment

Working...
                                X