Triano Widely Expected To Become Next Head Coach Of Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Triano Widely Expected To Become Next Head Coach Of Canada

Didn't see this posted yet, might have missed it, but for you Canadians this might be interesting.

Triano Widely Expected To Become Next Head Coach Of Canada

Mar 06, 2012 10:36 AM EST

Jay Triano is expected by many in Canada to succeed Leo Rautins as head coach of the national team.

Triano is still technically under contract with USA Basketball.

Canada hasn’t played in any significant event since the 2000 Olympics.

Canada is expected to have a new wave of talent, centered around Tristan Thompson, Cory Joseph and current high school players such as Andrew Wiggins and Anthony Bennett.
    Source

I saw this, but can't say I care much about the news.

I personally think team Canada would be best to find a coach with a better resume, who isn't necessarily Canadian (unless FIBA rules prevent that sort of thing).

Comment

If he can get Nash and the younguns to play I'm in.
      "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

Joel Anthony, Tristan Thompson, Cory Joseph, it'd be nice to see Kabongo come out.

We can wish right? Steve come and play
        Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

this confirms that he never should have been fired from the job. As for the guy who said with a bteer resume triano has a pretty decent international/olympic track record.
          If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post
            this confirms that he never should have been fired from the job. As for the guy who said with a bteer resume triano has a pretty decent international/olympic track record.
            Decent in terms of participation (not decent in terms of results).

Comment

Excellent hire if this is true.

Definitely not a good NBA coach but has more than proven himself on the International level.

Comment

good on him if he gets it.. last time the team acheived anything was under his coaching wasnt it? hes def. more suited to coach international ball, he was a great assistant coach for the raps too.. sometimes i wish they kept him around as an assistant... he could have been an offensive coordinator of sorts for us.

Comment

We'll see a lot more guys willing to play for Canada now, I reckon. Leo really was a joke in that capacity. Triano was an excellent coach for Team Canada, and will be again. The team's performance never had as much to do with Jay as it did with the lack of talent on the roster (sound familiar?). Nash was all he had, and they did exceptionally well, given the circumstances.

Great move for Canada Basketball.
                  Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

Great move to bring back Triano. Future is bright for Canada at the international level. Leo was a figurehead, nothing more.

Comment

jimmie wrote: View Post
                      We'll see a lot more guys willing to play for Canada now, I reckon. Leo really was a joke in that capacity. Triano was an excellent coach for Team Canada, and will be again. The team's performance never had as much to do with Jay as it did with the lack of talent on the roster (sound familiar?). Nash was all he had, and they did exceptionally well, given the circumstances.

Great move for Canada Basketball.
                      plus, it's just not right to have your kid on your team unless you are at the same position like both players or coaches.
                      If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

When the Sun had this story yesterday, they also mentioned the possibility of Nash becoming the GM of the Canadian team. Obviously that would be a huge boost for the team as well in terms of recruiting. (Although not as much as if he was going to be player and GM.)

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/03/05...xt-capt-canada

I hope the program keeps Dave Smart on as assistant. He seems like a very solid basketball mind who could be Triano's replacement at some point down the road.

With the results of the recent junior teams, I don't see any reason why this can't be a team with a medal shot in Rio 2016. So many good players coming into the NBA over the next few years.

Comment

IMO the players didn't have as much trust in triano as they do casey, because he was too busy thorougly confusing them. the players probably thought he was a: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbcaZDjsQNw (had to throw this video in there, hilarious x)

Comment

DoNDaDDa wrote: View Post
                            good on him if he gets it.. last time the team acheived anything was under his coaching wasnt it? hes def. more suited to coach international ball, he was a great assistant coach for the raps too.. sometimes i wish they kept him around as an assistant... he could have been an offensive coordinator of sorts for us.
                            I agree. Jay was a very good offensive coach, and the stats offensively in the last two seasons showed who well we could score the basketball.
                            Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Working...
                            X