No announcement yet.

Is Solomon Alabi a part of the future?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We need a third big next season. With Jonas and Aaron we have two centers. I can see us trading Amir or Ed which leaves us with only 2 PFs including Andrea. An injury to one or two of them would leave us short. I would keep Magloire if he keeps competing with the youngsters or draft at second-round for PF/C.

I haven't seen Alabi play but Casey doesn't like him over Magloire which tells me he is no good. A move back to Europe - perhaps the Lithuanian league- could help him turn this around.

Comment

I think Casey should give him the opportunity to show if he can play basketball or not before his contract ends
      (Sorry for poor English )

Comment

if Ed and Amir are on the roster, whats the point? if either are gone, sure.
        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
          Ok so let's see the options, assuming we are getting our 3rd center via 2nd round draft pick or a veteran:
          Centers who are projected in the second round of the draft:
          Festus Ezeli from Vanderbilt
          Jeff Withey from Kansas
          Robert Sacre from Gonzaga (Canadian)
          Ognjen Kuzmic from Malaga (Spain)
          Dusan Cantekin from Mega Vizura (Serbia) That dude is 7'4.

Centers who are currently in the NBA and who are FA this summer and that could fill that 3rd center spot:
          Jamaal Magloire (Canadian, currently with the team)
          Tony Battie
          Eddy Curry
          Jason Collins
          Hasheem Thabeet
          Hamed Haddadi
          Daniel Orton
          Solomon Alabi
          I don't mind seeing Hasheem Thabeet here if we don't resign Jamaal. Young project, and was the highest draft pick to be sent down to the d-league.
          Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
            if Ed and Amir are on the roster, whats the point? if either are gone, sure.
            This is my thought, Ed, Amir, Andrea, Jonas, and Aaron are 5 bigs that all should be able to handle minutes at the 2 big positions, add in a Old Vet or a another second round project and we are in fine shape.
            Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

WJF wrote: View Post
              This is my thought, Ed, Amir, Andrea, Jonas, and Aaron are 5 bigs that all should be able to handle minutes at the 2 big positions, add in a Old Vet or a another second round project and we are in fine shape.
              I disagree. A good team doesn't typically use more than a 9-10 deep rotation. We are all expecting the Raptors to be a good team next season, at least in full compete mode as opposed to semi-tank mode (plus, Casey has said that he prefers to use tight rotations rather than his full bench). Therefore, I don't believe there will be enough playing time to go around for those 5 players, only 4 of them, meaning either Amir/Ed needs to go (especially when you consider that both Kleiza and JJ are also capable of playing at the PF position in a smaller lineup). I like all 5 of the players you mentioned, but I don't see the point of keeping one of them (let alone paying them) to be a third string player. I'd much rather turn one of them into a rotation player that will actually play and contribute to the team's success next season (either directly via trade, or via a draft pick acquired in a trade). My preference would be to trade Amir - but that debate has been covered in numerous other threads. Bottom line is, I think/expect Alabi will NOT be a Raptor next season.
              Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Wed Mar 7, 2012, 02:39 PM.

Comment

tbihis wrote: View Post
                I dont even think we can comment on Alabi since nobody's seen him play this season.

Is that saying he's a lot worse than POB? At least POB got minutes when he was here.
                You mean you missed the 3 games he played in for 2.3 mins.....total.

The fact that 2 coaches have just not used him even for a quick garbage time evaluation must say something...that even his practices could be awful.

Comment

japetas wrote: View Post
                  I think Casey should give him the opportunity to show if he can play basketball or not before his contract ends
                  Casey can evaluate anyone during practices. Players typically get their playing time in games depending on how they perform in practices.

(Your English is fine)

Comment

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
                    I don't mind seeing Hasheem Thabeet here if we don't resign Jamaal. Young project, and was the highest draft pick to be sent down to the d-league.
                    Yeah I agree with that, I would be O.K. with Thabeet as our 3rd. He certainly still got potential, at least more than Alabi. And he's 7'3! Also, we already have at least 2 rookies too introduce into the team next year, and I personally think it's enough. Plus, Magloire is certainly a good veteran presence, but I think the team can go on without him. Gray is 28, and the coaches are here for this aspect of the game. I don't think they need mentoring that much.

Then I'd say, why not try to get Thabeet right away via trade? He doesn't play at all in Houston! Then we could see what he can do and decide whether or not to re-sign him this summer.
                    Last edited by charlesnba23; Wed Mar 7, 2012, 02:51 PM.

Comment

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
                      How many years of ineptitude must a young project go through before he is no longer called a prospect?

Hasheem Thabeet played 883 minutes his rookie season, 373 minutes in his sophomore year, and an amazing 20 minutes before he was sidelined with an injury in February. Memphis gave up on him in his sophomore year (that's really quickly for the 2nd overall pick in my opinion) and Houston has apparently seen enough of him too. I think it's far, far more likely "complete bust" is a better descriptor than "young prospect" in his case.

Comment

Hugmenot wrote: View Post
                        How many years of ineptitude must a young project go through before he is no longer called a prospect?

Hasheem Thabeet played 883 minutes his rookie season, 373 minutes in his sophomore year, and an amazing 20 minutes before he was sidelined with an injury in February. Memphis gave up on him in his sophomore year (that's really quickly for the 2nd overall pick in my opinion) and Houston has apparently seen enough of him too. I think it's far, far more likely "complete bust" is a better descriptor than "young prospect" in his case.
                        I'd still prefer him than Alabi or Magloire. And he's easy to get, to me. Alabi? Barbosa? Bayless...

Comment

Hugmenot wrote: View Post

+1

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                            I disagree. A good team doesn't typically use more than a 9-10 deep rotation. We are all expecting the Raptors to be a good team next season, at least in full compete mode as opposed to semi-tank mode (plus, Casey has said that he prefers to use tight rotations rather than his full bench). Therefore, I don't believe there will be enough playing time to go around for those 5 players, only 4 of them, meaning either Amir/Ed needs to go (especially when you consider that both Kleiza and JJ are also capable of playing at the PF position in a smaller lineup). I like all 5 of the players you mentioned, but I don't see the point of keeping one of them (let alone paying them) to be a third string player. I'd much rather turn one of them into a rotation player that will actually play and contribute to the team's success next season (either directly via trade, or via a draft pick acquired in a trade). My preference would be to trade Amir - but that debate has been covered in numerous other threads. Bottom line is, I think/expect Alabi will NOT be a Raptor next season.
                            I was naming those players as to why there will be no place for Alabi, not as to which of them will see minutes or willl be moved for a different piece.
                            Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

WJF wrote: View Post
                              I was naming those players as to why there will be no place for Alabi, not as to which of them will see minutes or willl be moved for a different piece.
                              Fair enough, my misunderstanding. I'd just take it one step further to say that even if/when one of Amir/Davis are traded, I still don't see a place for Alabi on this team beyond his current contract (end of this season).

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
                                You mean you missed the 3 games he played in for 2.3 mins.....total.

The fact that 2 coaches have just not used him even for a quick garbage time evaluation must say something...that even his practices could be awful.
                                On the flipside, even after 2 coaches and he's still here, maybe he is doing something ok, but not enough to be given a rotation spot.

Im ok with keeping Alabi as an "emergency backup". At least he's practiced with all the players, knows the system, knows the coaches....and you know he's not a headcase otherwise, theyve shipped him by now.

Who knows, one day, Bargnani, Davis, Amir, JV, JJ and Kleiza get injured. Solo starts and plays for 40 mins against the Nets, and ends the night with 30/20 and 10 blks.

Alabi-sanity!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X