Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matt52 wrote: View Post
    And how quickly Portland matches.
    Here's a scenario: What if Brandon Roy comes back?

http://network.yardbarker.com/nba/ar...eback/10169734

Apparently there is some question whether his retirement was "all knees" or was there a personal element.

Well if he does (back to the Blazers) that would make Batum more likely to be available.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
      That is, until Casey sees Anthony Davis up close in pre-draft workouts
      If there was a chance of us drafting A.D., I would start rocking a unibrow like there was no tomorrow! Raptor nation solidified from brow to brow.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
        Here's a scenario: What if Brandon Roy comes back?

http://network.yardbarker.com/nba/ar...eback/10169734

Apparently there is some question whether his retirement was "all knees" or was there a personal element.

Well if he does (back to the Blazers) that would make Batum more likely to be available.

I don't think Portland is permitted to sign Roy until his original deal has run its course. I'm not positive on that but if teams were permitted to do that I could see some real funny business being done with a seriously injured, highly paid player with multiple years left on his contract i.e. you are out for this year, we amnesty you, pay you in full, sign you next year to a cheap deal, and sign a bigtime FA with the cap space savings.

This of course neglects the fact Roy has no knees left. Personally, I don't think he comes back and, if he does, it is a short return. It is too bad because he was a player.

Comment

Nocioni stands out to me. He is doing nothing on Philadelphia, he is a VERY physical player, and he will likely be pretty cheap. Ray Allen would be awesome but he would want to start I think. I love Kirelenko, especially as a mentor to James Johnson (very similar defensive play style).

It depends what we do with guys like Kleiza and who we draft.
          "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

hateslosing wrote: View Post
            Nocioni stands out to me. He is doing nothing on Philadelphia, he is a VERY physical player, and he will likely be pretty cheap. Ray Allen would be awesome but he would want to start I think. I love Kirelenko, especially as a mentor to James Johnson (very similar defensive play style).

I was originally going to include him on my list too, but then I realized that he and Kleiza are essentially the exact same. They are physical, under-sized PF / under-athletic SF, who can bang inside and knock down the open 3. I don't see a need for both of them.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
              Chandler, Kirilenko, Batum, Nash and Allen jump out immediately.

I could see BC targeting Allen as a backup SG, to be the Oakley/Dell Curry type player for this Raptors team, but I think he might be too old (and targeted by too many other teams to entice him to sign with Toronto).

A few other wings caught my attention, as they are tough veterans who can shoot
              - OJ Mayo
              - CJ Miles
              - Josh Howard
              - Courtney Lee
              I don't have a source, sorry guys. I remember in the Raptors half-time interview that BC was looking not just into Chandler, but Andrei Kirilenko as well. If he could come here, I would be very pleased.

EDIT* Sorry guys, I meant Raptors season at the half.
              Last edited by ReubenJRD; Thu Mar 8, 2012, 01:52 PM.
              Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Interesting that he said that after the rockets game, a team that seems to have a few of the type of players he seems to covet.
                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

hateslosing wrote: View Post

Ray Allen I don't think would mind having a sixth man role, because he's a veteran, and with such a young team on the run, he's more likely to be off the bench IMO.

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                    Just speculating, but Casey not wanting too much youth for next year may imply that JV is enough and that their first round pick might be a bargaining chip in the trade deadline.
                    Gonna be honest to you, if we end up being a 5-10 pick in the lottery I can almost guarantee a trade because MKG/Barnes maybe even Lamb are long gone, and we would have to end up taking a project like PJ3, Quincy Miller, Sullinger (Which I hell hope we don't take). Maybe 1-5 will be a keeper.

Comment

why the hell isn't ROY doing Microfracture surgery....He is still young and could have a very productive career
                      For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

MKG is staying in school
                        For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                          I don't think Portland is permitted to sign Roy until his original deal has run its course. I'm not positive on that but if teams were permitted to do that I could see some real funny business being done with a seriously injured, highly paid player with multiple years left on his contract i.e. you are out for this year, we amnesty you, pay you in full, sign you next year to a cheap deal, and sign a bigtime FA with the cap space savings.

This of course neglects the fact Roy has no knees left. Personally, I don't think he comes back and, if he does, it is a short return. It is too bad because he was a player.
                          Ya your right. amnesty players cant go back to the team that amnestied them till after there original deal with that team has run its course length wise..

Comment

I hope Casey is not talking about players on their downslide of their careers. I think Ray Allen, AK47 are great players, but I think we should be looking at guys that are battle tested veterans that are in their mid to late 20's. Still veterans that have established their identities already. Courtney Lee, Batum and Dragic are three players that have upside, but proven, that I think the Raptors should chase. I don't think it's worth it to have a vet that has only a couple years left. If we could have a core of guys for 5 or 6 years that would be ideal.

Jonas, Gray, Amir
                            Bargs, Ed, Amir
                            Batum or Draft pick, J.J.
                            DeMar, Lee or draft pick
                            Dragic, 2013 or additional 2012 draft pick

This would be a nice core going forward. I think we should keep Calderon around till his contract is expires. If he excepts a deal that doesn't handicap our ability to keep this core together, then he would be great to have around. If we are going to add older vet's do it in the same way we did this year, high character guys that can fill-in in a pinch. The better we get, the better vets we can sign at the veteran minimum.
                            Last edited by saints91; Thu Mar 8, 2012, 02:12 PM.

Comment

saints91 wrote: View Post
                              I hope Casey is not talking about players on their downslide of their careers. I think Ray Allen, AK47 are great players, but I think we should be looking at guys that are battle tested veterans that are in their mid to late 20's. Still veterans that have established their identities already. Courtney Lee, Batum and Dragic are three players that have upside, but proven, that I think the Raptors should chase. I don't think it's worth it to have a vet that has only a couple years left. If we could have a core of guys for 5 or 6 years that would be ideal.

Jonas, Gray, Amir
                              Bargs, Ed, Amir
                              Batum or Draft pick, J.J.
                              DeMar, Lee or draft pick
                              Dragic, 2013 or additional 2012 draft pick

This would be a nice core going forward. I think we should keep Calderon around till his contract is expires. If he excepts a deal that doesn't handicap our ability to keep this core together, then he would be great to have around. I we are going to add vet's do it in the same way we did this year, high character guys that can fill-in in a pinch. The better we get the better vets we can get at the veteran minimum.
                              I agree, but I also believe a vet with only a couple of years left that can continue to produce where he is best is very valuable. Having Ray Allen on this team would be a blessing.

Comment

Maybe they are looking at Boris Diaw. He is tough physical, can shoot the ball. the bobcats are probably going to release him soon and he would look good off the bench.

Comment

Working...
                                X