Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Draft, Free Agency or Trades - Which is the best way to go for the Raps?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote RapthoseLeafs wrote: View Post
    Like Miekenstein - I'm in for all of the above.

Draft
    • Raptors have the "No. 2 pick" ready to board - relative to Anthony Davis (JV was rated as such, as if he was part of the 2012 draft - can't remember which media site gave this opinion ... possibly ESPN ??). I realize this is not a true 2012 draft pick, but for all intents purposes JV will be a rookie, as much as our real draft pick will be.
    • Toronto will have a pick that could range from 1st overall (with luck) to 12th overall (with less luck)
    • Raptors could snag a second 1st Round pick, should BC move Barbie to a Contender. Such a pick would give BC the opportunity to make a gamble-type pick.

Free Agency
    • Raptors have some holes to fill, that might entice a free agent who sees the potential for this team - especially with Casey at the helm.
    • A Point Guard would be one such position. With (expected) sufficient cap space, Toronto will have greater leverage amongst the league, a leverage that would be reinforced by the revised CBA and it's upcoming Luxury tax enhancements.

Trades
    • Assuming players like Davis, Kleiza, Amir & JJ continue to flourish, BC's inventory of trade chips would only improve. The more players that excel under Casey, the greater BC's odds become, and the greater the return becomes.
    • As much as some fans cry for us to tank, the upside to winning (and a reduced draft pick), is that these trade chips will have demonstrated greater value - as opposed to random potential.

+1

Raptors Republic All-Star Jclaw's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default NBA trade value (Simmons)

From Simmons' NBA trade value article today (funny read)
    "....Nicolas Batum: The geek-friendly teams (San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Oklahoma City, etc.) have circled him for years, fully expecting him to become Battier 2.0 on the right contender. He's getting an offer sheet next July that will make you say, "Wait … WHAT?????" Be prepared.". Who could he be talking about? My Raptor sense is tingling.

Today's espn site.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Jclaw wrote: View Post
    "....Nicolas Batum: The geek-friendly teams (San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Oklahoma City, etc.) have circled him for years, fully expecting him to become Battier 2.0 on the right contender. He's getting an offer sheet next July that will make you say, "Wait … WHAT?????" Be prepared.". Who could he be talking about? My Raptor sense is tingling.

Today's espn site.
    If you think he's referring to the Raptors, I wonder why he would keep that a secret, while mentioning other interested parties.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

Today's espn site.
    In another ESPN article today (sorry, read too many to recall which one) it basically says that Portland could very well be lining up to make every player available except Aldridge, with Batum only being available for a star player. I think Portland could be a big seller at the trade deadline and before the draft, choosing to rebuild around Aldrige & Batum (aka - clearing cap space to match any offer to their prized RESTRICTED free agent).

Raptors Republic All-Star Jclaw's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess we're not "geek friendly". Does that make us cool? It's not that I think he meant us. I'm not even sure if he knows who the raps are. There's just a lot of love for batum here and the fear that we have a tendency to overspend.

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    In another ESPN article today (sorry, read too many to recall which one) it basically says that Portland could very well be lining up to make every player available except Aldridge, with Batum only being available for a star player. I think Portland could be a big seller at the trade deadline and before the draft, choosing to rebuild around Aldrige & Batum (aka - clearing cap space to match any offer to their prized RESTRICTED free agent).
    It would be interesting to know what Wallace does this off season. I know their fan base is high on him, and some articles have suggested that Wallace may opt out looking for a longer term contract in the off season (similar to what RJ did a year or two ago). If Wallace decides to hang on for one more year, then Batum becomes more expendable. But they really do need a PG. Signing Batum for $10M and trading him for Calderon straight-up, works for both teams.

I'm not sure what their definition of "star" is.. but you could argue that Calderon is "star" worthy, especially if he's a top 10 guard in the league.

*EDIT* - I'd prefer a contract in the $8.5-9M range personally for Batum, but if Gallinari got $10, I can't see why Batum doesn't get the same amount - especially after the season he's had. Unfortunately Batum would have to play really well for the Raps to live up to that contract.
    Last edited by planetmars; Fri Mar 9th, 2012 at 02:58 PM.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess we're not "geek friendly". Does that make us cool? It's not that I think he meant us. I'm not even sure if he knows who the raps are. There's just a lot of love for batum here and the fear that we have a tendency to overspend.
    Regardless of past over expenditures, the only way to get a good player in free agency is to overspend - and in restricted free agency one must grossly overspend.

Thread Information