Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Draft, Free Agency or Trades - Which is the best way to go for the Raps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gorlitzer wrote: View Post
    But what is the goal here? Do we want to make the playoffs next year, or do we want to contend for a title in three?
    I was hoping to make the playoffs next year and build on that. I agree, contending is the overall goal. I think the raptors are heading that direction. With Jonas, and this years pick we should contending team in a couple years. We are not that far off from being in the playoffs this year. Add a couple pieces over the summer, a full training camp and a normal season, and I think we are there. As our 2012 rookies improve so shall we. Contend in 3 years, just as Matt has said.

I don't think being in the lottery in 2013 will change this team all that much. The only thing that will be eluding us after this draft is our PG of the future.

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
      He's a risk, but I wouldn't say a huge risk. Keep in mind he played for the clips who's players are always getting injured it seems. Current team is having a tank-off with 9 other teams. Is Bargs a health risk too?

2008-09: 78 games played
      2009-10: 62
      2010-11: 58
      2011-12: 2

That is not a healthy or assuring trend.

I also don't think New Orleans is purposely sitting him out. He sat out for weeks doing rehab and rest only to have a scope done a few weeks ago which appears might conclude the rest of this season.

I'm not sure if the fact he has had a vast array of injuries versus one chronic injury is a good or bad thing. Since his rookie year he has missed time for groin, hamstring, toe, left shoulder (twice), right leg, wrist, and now knee. Click here for injury list.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
        Batum
        this is looking more and more like it could have been a fantastic signing but also like portland is clearing house to keep their younger players.

i think their entire team except for batum and wallace are up for grabs this deadline or draft.

Comment

am i allowed to say all 3?

i would (and i think all teams would) like to get to a san antonio like situation where they only ever draft for need. always take the best player available for the position they want filled. then bring them in slowly until they are ready. a real basketball program.

but to get there you need sustained success and the best way after this year will be to compliment our core through trades or free agency.

Comment

All Three

Like Miekenstein - I'm in for all of the above.

Draft
            • Raptors have the "No. 2 pick" ready to board - relative to Anthony Davis (JV was rated as such, as if he was part of the 2012 draft - can't remember which media site gave this opinion ... possibly ESPN ??). I realize this is not a true 2012 draft pick, but for all intents purposes JV will be a rookie, as much as our real draft pick will be.
            • Toronto will have a pick that could range from 1st overall (with luck) to 12th overall (with less luck)
            • Raptors could snag a second 1st Round pick, should BC move Barbie to a Contender. Such a pick would give BC the opportunity to make a gamble-type pick.

Free Agency
            • Raptors have some holes to fill, that might entice a free agent who sees the potential for this team - especially with Casey at the helm.
            • A Point Guard would be one such position. With (expected) sufficient cap space, Toronto will have greater leverage amongst the league, a leverage that would be reinforced by the revised CBA and it's upcoming Luxury tax enhancements.

Trades
            • Assuming players like Davis, Kleiza, Amir & JJ continue to flourish, BC's inventory of trade chips would only improve. The more players that excel under Casey, the greater BC's odds become, and the greater the return becomes.
            • As much as some fans cry for us to tank, the upside to winning (and a reduced draft pick), is that these trade chips will have demonstrated greater value - as opposed to random potential.

Comment

RapthoseLeafs wrote: View Post
              Like Miekenstein - I'm in for all of the above.

Draft
              • Raptors have the "No. 2 pick" ready to board - relative to Anthony Davis (JV was rated as such, as if he was part of the 2012 draft - can't remember which media site gave this opinion ... possibly ESPN ??). I realize this is not a true 2012 draft pick, but for all intents purposes JV will be a rookie, as much as our real draft pick will be.
              • Toronto will have a pick that could range from 1st overall (with luck) to 12th overall (with less luck)
              • Raptors could snag a second 1st Round pick, should BC move Barbie to a Contender. Such a pick would give BC the opportunity to make a gamble-type pick.

Free Agency
              • Raptors have some holes to fill, that might entice a free agent who sees the potential for this team - especially with Casey at the helm.
              • A Point Guard would be one such position. With (expected) sufficient cap space, Toronto will have greater leverage amongst the league, a leverage that would be reinforced by the revised CBA and it's upcoming Luxury tax enhancements.

Trades
              • Assuming players like Davis, Kleiza, Amir & JJ continue to flourish, BC's inventory of trade chips would only improve. The more players that excel under Casey, the greater BC's odds become, and the greater the return becomes.
              • As much as some fans cry for us to tank, the upside to winning (and a reduced draft pick), is that these trade chips will have demonstrated greater value - as opposed to random potential.

+1
              Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

NBA trade value (Simmons)

From Simmons' NBA trade value article today (funny read)
                "....Nicolas Batum: The geek-friendly teams (San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Oklahoma City, etc.) have circled him for years, fully expecting him to become Battier 2.0 on the right contender. He's getting an offer sheet next July that will make you say, "Wait … WHAT?????" Be prepared.". Who could he be talking about? My Raptor sense is tingling.

Today's espn site.

Comment

Jclaw wrote: View Post
                  "....Nicolas Batum: The geek-friendly teams (San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Oklahoma City, etc.) have circled him for years, fully expecting him to become Battier 2.0 on the right contender. He's getting an offer sheet next July that will make you say, "Wait … WHAT?????" Be prepared.". Who could he be talking about? My Raptor sense is tingling.

Today's espn site.
                  If you think he's referring to the Raptors, I wonder why he would keep that a secret, while mentioning other interested parties.

Comment

Today's espn site.
                    In another ESPN article today (sorry, read too many to recall which one) it basically says that Portland could very well be lining up to make every player available except Aldridge, with Batum only being available for a star player. I think Portland could be a big seller at the trade deadline and before the draft, choosing to rebuild around Aldrige & Batum (aka - clearing cap space to match any offer to their prized RESTRICTED free agent).

Comment

I guess we're not "geek friendly". Does that make us cool? It's not that I think he meant us. I'm not even sure if he knows who the raps are. There's just a lot of love for batum here and the fear that we have a tendency to overspend.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                        In another ESPN article today (sorry, read too many to recall which one) it basically says that Portland could very well be lining up to make every player available except Aldridge, with Batum only being available for a star player. I think Portland could be a big seller at the trade deadline and before the draft, choosing to rebuild around Aldrige & Batum (aka - clearing cap space to match any offer to their prized RESTRICTED free agent).
                        It would be interesting to know what Wallace does this off season. I know their fan base is high on him, and some articles have suggested that Wallace may opt out looking for a longer term contract in the off season (similar to what RJ did a year or two ago). If Wallace decides to hang on for one more year, then Batum becomes more expendable. But they really do need a PG. Signing Batum for $10M and trading him for Calderon straight-up, works for both teams.

I'm not sure what their definition of "star" is.. but you could argue that Calderon is "star" worthy, especially if he's a top 10 guard in the league.

*EDIT* - I'd prefer a contract in the $8.5-9M range personally for Batum, but if Gallinari got $10, I can't see why Batum doesn't get the same amount - especially after the season he's had. Unfortunately Batum would have to play really well for the Raps to live up to that contract.
                        Last edited by planetmars; Fri Mar 9, 2012, 03:58 PM.

Comment

I guess we're not "geek friendly". Does that make us cool? It's not that I think he meant us. I'm not even sure if he knows who the raps are. There's just a lot of love for batum here and the fear that we have a tendency to overspend.
                          Regardless of past over expenditures, the only way to get a good player in free agency is to overspend - and in restricted free agency one must grossly overspend.

Comment

Working...
                          X