Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who do you realistically see as the Point Guard of the future?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

jimmie wrote: View Post
    Maybe, maybe not. A lot can change for a lot of franchises over a year. No offense, but you have no idea who of those names might be available for one reason or another, and no idea what our assets might get us. We've all seen enough trades by now to realize there is ALWAYS a deal out there.

Getting one of them is a surefire a way to fill the PG role as counting on a rookie. I see acquiring one of them as a "possibility" as reasonable/probable as drafting a star. Don't aim so low.
    You are right, things do change. But if they become available, it means their level of play has changed. If they all continue on the path they are on, the very reasons you or the Raptors would want them is the very reason they would not be available.

Comment

charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
      When you say ''PG of the Future''... What does future means? 2 years? 5 years? IMO, Calderon is the starting PG of the future for at least this year and next. Before then, I don't see why we should talk about a new PG.

Did you read the first post?

This is not a 'trade Jose' or 'keep Jose' thread - remember that.

The fact is Bryan Colangelo has said on numerous occasions this year that a focus of his is, one way or another, acquiring a point guard of the future.

Like it or not, that would strongly imply the point guard of the future is NOT Jose Calderon considering he is already under contract.
      This is not about Calderon. This is the very public statements BC has made that he is looking for a PG of the future.

I'm not too sure what he means by that but I would assume it is a PG who can play with JV and company as they enter their prime (around 5 years down the road).
      Last edited by mcHAPPY; Fri Mar 9, 2012, 06:34 AM.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
        He is 23 and 6'6".

From what I've read his defense is also better.
        I like his game and have watched some of his games from Europe. I am always a little leery of 6'6" PG's in the NBA, it is the very rare one that truly works out. That being said, I would not mind him on the roster to see what he has.
        Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

WJF wrote: View Post
          I like his game and have watched some of his games from Europe. I am always a little leery of 6'6" PG's in the NBA, it is the very rare one that truly works out. That being said, I would not mind him on the roster to see what he has.
          I think a big part of the very few working out has to do with there are very few 6'6" PG's to begin with. I guess you could say it is all relative?

What I like about the height is the ability to throw the pass over the top on the pick and roll. I am having strange tingling thinking about that possibility with JV.

Comment

I think a big part of the very few working out has to do with there are very few 6'6" PG's to begin with. I guess you could say it is all relative?

What I like about the height is the ability to throw the pass over the top on the pick and roll. I am having strange tingling thinking about that possibility with JV.
            I love the thought of that "big" pg, and Nick in a player who likes to distribute the ball. Can he defend the 6' water bugs out there, that is what I would need to see?
            Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Golden State gets:
              DeMar DeRozan
              Ed Davis
              Leandro Barbosa (and his expiring deal)

Toronto gets:
              Steph Curry
              Andres Biedrins (and his terrible deal)

It would take a lot to get him, sure. But it would be entirely worth it. Toronto would trade two B grade prospects, for a legit blue-chipper. Golden State gets to turn its back court into something much more sensible (though less talented) than it has now, gets a solid and young PF and gets out of the Biedrins deal.

Doing this deal would entirely blow Toronto's cap space. But who cares? They're not going to get anyone as good as Curry in free agency, anyway.

Comment

WJF wrote: View Post
                I love the thought of that "big" pg, and Nick in a player who likes to distribute the ball. Can he defend the 6' water bugs out there, that is what I would need to see?
                I think he can do as good of a job as Calderon - which is not saying much I know. He would certainly help defend the perimeter on close outs of 3 point shots given his length. Also there is the Casey factor in terms of team defense and systems.

I think of a guy like Jason Kid (who is 6'4"). He was not the fastest guy yet he was All-Defensive by using his basketball IQ. I don't know if Calathes has that ability but DraftExpress was all over his basketball IQ:

There are very few players in college basketball who bring his combination of production and basketball IQ to the table, though, and considering that he's just a sophomore, he probably still has room to improve as well. In the right system alongside the right type of players Calathes could likely be very effective, but whether or can find that is not a given.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz1oclPz57H
                http://www.draftexpress.com

Comment

With Barg's return, we could conceivably lose more ping-pong balls, which is a good thing IMO as it will get us closer to some of the PG's in the lower portion of the draft order. I've heard Lillard moving up the draft charts.
                  “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Roko Ukic.
                    your pal,
                    ebrian

Comment

Can La Bomba play the point?

Comment

First off, I see Jose being the starter for another 3-4 years (brought back on a cheaper deal). Moving on ...

From the draft: Tomas Satoransky could be a strong talent to groom in a backup role. Yes another Euro, but he is big, athletic, great court vision, and would have another young Euro in Jonas to help get him acclimated to the NBA game. Not to mention Jose, a star euro to show him the ropes. He could be had with a late first round pick or even early 2nd - allowing us to use our higher pick on another area (SF, SG, trade).
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2fIX...eature=related

Also from the draft, I really like the potential of Kabongo. Selfless, lightening quick, great vision - just needs to slow it down sometimes.

Free agency only shows an unattainable star (Deron), aging PGs (Nash, Kidd) who aren't in the long term plans, and mediocre talent that won't be in our long term plans for a starting PG.

The trade market could be very interesting if we move our 2nd rounder, Amir, or Bayless (pre-deadline). Players like Bledsoe, Dragic, and Flynn maybe ... low risk.

Sessions would be a great backup, but not a starter for the future.

Stuckey has some potential as well.

I was really high on Avery Bradley the year we went with Ed. He was injured in his rookie year, and has yet to get major minutes. If Rondo is staying in Boston, there isn't much future for another young PG to ever get an expanded role.
                        Last edited by Papa Burgundy; Fri Mar 9, 2012, 10:43 AM.
                        The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

You are right, things do change. But if they become available, it means their level of play has changed. If they all continue on the path they are on, the very reasons you or the Raptors would want them is the very reason they would not be available.
                          No, it could also mean the level of OUR players has changed. Or that the strategy of other franchises (in terms of who they want to keep, whether they are rebuilding/contending, etc.) has changed.

This is not a zero-sum game, and Toronto's current roster doesn't exist in a vaccuum.
                          Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

The fact is Bryan Colangelo has said on numerous occasions this year that a focus of his is, one way or another, acquiring a point guard of the future.
                            This sounds like one of my ex-employers from the 80's; he kept promising great things would happen to us in the future. The fact the future time frame was never defined made it impossible to hold him to any promises.

My point is I have no clue what seasons Colangelo or Matt define as "the future".

Matt, what seasons do you define as "the future" for the sake of this discussion?

Comment

Hugmenot wrote: View Post
                              This sounds like one of my ex-employers from the 80's; he kept promising great things would happen to us in the future. The fact the future time frame was never defined made it impossible to hold him to any promises.

My point is I have no clue what seasons Colangelo or Matt define as "the future".

Matt, what seasons do you define as "the future" for the sake of this discussion?
                              Any point in time beyond now would be or could be considered the future.

I have no idea what Colangelo has in mind. It was a discussion idea started based on public comments Colangelo has made.

Interpret it any way you want however please refrain from making this a "Should we keep Calderon?" or "Should we trade Calderon?" thread - there are enough of those out there.

Comment

jimmie wrote: View Post
                                No, it could also mean the level of OUR players has changed. Or that the strategy of other franchises (in terms of who they want to keep, whether they are rebuilding/contending, etc.) has changed.

This is not a zero-sum game, and Toronto's current roster doesn't exist in a vaccuum.

OK.

So your suggestion is to go after a young point guard who has firmly cemented themselves as an up and coming PG in the league and a starter on their respective team (Wall, Curry, Irving, Holiday, Lawson, Jennings, Rubio, Lowry).

They are to be obtained by restricted free agency where the only way to secure their services is to overpay - and it also assumes they will not be extended by their team prior to the end of their rookie contract.

The other method is to trade for them. Considering all are on rookie contracts and provide great value relative to their contract it is pretty tough to get a PG like the ones you are suggesting.

For the record, anyone of those PG's would be awesome. However, I don't see it realistic given they will be restricted free agents or their current contract is not up for 2-plus seasons - but that is just my opinion. If you see it as being realistic, then that is your opinion.

Comment

Working...
                                X