Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Who do you realistically see as the Point Guard of the future?

Post Thanks / Like

id offer holiday a godfather deal
    @jerboat

Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote SuperRaptor wrote: View Post
    I don't know why their is no love for bayless on these forums. Everyone is a Bayless hater when all the guy does is average 20+ pts a game when he starts. People say that he doesn't pass enough but his assist numbers are probably average for a PG when he starts. He is a better ball stopper than Jose, and he is more physical. He could explode for 40+ pts in a game one day, and he is still improving.

I would rather continue developing him then spend another 3 years developing a rookie, or trading for a slightly above average PG like the ones that are out there.

A healthy Jerryd Bayless can be a huge asset for this team, if he gets like 30+ min. a game you better believe he will average 18-20 pts a game and around 5-7 assists with good defense.

P.S I love Jose too, but im not impressed with the rookie hype or the free agents available, I like our PG's.
    he also continuously runs head first into the paint with no plan to pass and passes as a last ditch effort. i like his game and want him in our plans but not as a point guard we need to rely on. you need to be reliable for that.

Raptors Republic All-Star charlesnba23's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What's future

When you say ''PG of the Future''... What does future means? 2 years? 5 years? IMO, Calderon is the starting PG of the future for at least this year and next. Before then, I don't see why we should talk about a new PG.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
    When you say ''PG of the Future''... What does future means? 2 years? 5 years? IMO, Calderon is the starting PG of the future for at least this year and next. Before then, I don't see why we should talk about a new PG.
    +1

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Point Guard

You need two in this league and they both need to understand the coaching guys' system very well BUT each needs to have their own strengths as to how the system is applied to game situations. Jose should stay and the dude from Houston who drove Bayless wild last night could be the other one - Drajic?

BUT you need two for a playoff run in the NBA.

PS - Retire Jose as a Raptor. It's time to show some class in Toronto - the league is watching....

Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Roarque wrote: View Post
    You need two in this league and they both need to understand the coaching guys' system very well BUT each needs to have their own strengths as to how the system is applied to game situations. Jose should stay and the dude from Houston who drove Bayless wild last night could be the other one - Drajic?

BUT you need two for a playoff run in the NBA.

PS - Retire Jose as a Raptor. It's time to show some class in Toronto - the league is watching....
    this is a classless league, generally.
    i just checked. david robinson was the last player to play his entire career on one team. duncan, kobe and i think pierce will be the next.
    tony parker brought san antonio multiple championships and they were going to trade him for BigV. i don't think there is a more classy team than san antonio. jose is a really nice guy but tenure for a couple playoff seasons sadface.

if the right offer comes you make that trade and talk about how hard it was and how he was great for the team and city. that is professionalism and this is a profession.

whining and bitching and complaining that "stupid ignorant american players" don't want to play here is classless.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._one_franchise

Raptors Republic All-Star RaptorsFan4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Dragic. BC get him already. ugh.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
    Dragic. BC get him already. ugh.
    +1

Love his game. Underrated player.

Raptors Republic Starter japetas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I would like to trade for underrated guys like Dragic or maybe Bledsoe, who showed many times, that if they get time on court they can produce some nice numbers. And they are young and not too expensive
    (Sorry for poor English )

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote RaptorFan (proud?..) wrote: View Post
    Not to insult your idea at all, because he does sound intriguing.. But on a team that already has Jose Calderon under contract playing arguably the best in this league he has ever played, why would we shift our focus to a point guard who, best case scenario, eventually develops into the guy we already have?
    The thing with our point guard now is that, worst case scenario, he's still Jose Calderon.
    He is 23 and 6'6".

From what I've read his defense is also better.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote jimmie wrote: View Post
    Maybe, maybe not. A lot can change for a lot of franchises over a year. No offense, but you have no idea who of those names might be available for one reason or another, and no idea what our assets might get us. We've all seen enough trades by now to realize there is ALWAYS a deal out there.

Getting one of them is a surefire a way to fill the PG role as counting on a rookie. I see acquiring one of them as a "possibility" as reasonable/probable as drafting a star. Don't aim so low.
    You are right, things do change. But if they become available, it means their level of play has changed. If they all continue on the path they are on, the very reasons you or the Raptors would want them is the very reason they would not be available.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote charlesnba23 wrote: View Post

Did you read the first post?

This is not a 'trade Jose' or 'keep Jose' thread - remember that.

The fact is Bryan Colangelo has said on numerous occasions this year that a focus of his is, one way or another, acquiring a point guard of the future.

Like it or not, that would strongly imply the point guard of the future is NOT Jose Calderon considering he is already under contract.
    This is not about Calderon. This is the very public statements BC has made that he is looking for a PG of the future.

I'm not too sure what he means by that but I would assume it is a PG who can play with JV and company as they enter their prime (around 5 years down the road).
    Last edited by mcHAPPY; Fri Mar 9th, 2012 at 05:34 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    He is 23 and 6'6".

From what I've read his defense is also better.
    I like his game and have watched some of his games from Europe. I am always a little leery of 6'6" PG's in the NBA, it is the very rare one that truly works out. That being said, I would not mind him on the roster to see what he has.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote WJF wrote: View Post
    I like his game and have watched some of his games from Europe. I am always a little leery of 6'6" PG's in the NBA, it is the very rare one that truly works out. That being said, I would not mind him on the roster to see what he has.
    I think a big part of the very few working out has to do with there are very few 6'6" PG's to begin with. I guess you could say it is all relative?

What I like about the height is the ability to throw the pass over the top on the pick and roll. I am having strange tingling thinking about that possibility with JV.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I think a big part of the very few working out has to do with there are very few 6'6" PG's to begin with. I guess you could say it is all relative?

What I like about the height is the ability to throw the pass over the top on the pick and roll. I am having strange tingling thinking about that possibility with JV.
    I love the thought of that "big" pg, and Nick in a player who likes to distribute the ball. Can he defend the 6' water bugs out there, that is what I would need to see?

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Golden State gets:
    DeMar DeRozan
    Ed Davis
    Leandro Barbosa (and his expiring deal)

Toronto gets:
    Steph Curry
    Andres Biedrins (and his terrible deal)

It would take a lot to get him, sure. But it would be entirely worth it. Toronto would trade two B grade prospects, for a legit blue-chipper. Golden State gets to turn its back court into something much more sensible (though less talented) than it has now, gets a solid and young PF and gets out of the Biedrins deal.

Doing this deal would entirely blow Toronto's cap space. But who cares? They're not going to get anyone as good as Curry in free agency, anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote WJF wrote: View Post
    I love the thought of that "big" pg, and Nick in a player who likes to distribute the ball. Can he defend the 6' water bugs out there, that is what I would need to see?
    I think he can do as good of a job as Calderon - which is not saying much I know. He would certainly help defend the perimeter on close outs of 3 point shots given his length. Also there is the Casey factor in terms of team defense and systems.

I think of a guy like Jason Kid (who is 6'4"). He was not the fastest guy yet he was All-Defensive by using his basketball IQ. I don't know if Calathes has that ability but DraftExpress was all over his basketball IQ:

There are very few players in college basketball who bring his combination of production and basketball IQ to the table, though, and considering that he's just a sophomore, he probably still has room to improve as well. In the right system alongside the right type of players Calathes could likely be very effective, but whether or can find that is not a given.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz1oclPz57H
    http://www.draftexpress.com

Raptors Republic All-Star Balls of Steel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

With Barg's return, we could conceivably lose more ping-pong balls, which is a good thing IMO as it will get us closer to some of the PG's in the lower portion of the draft order. I've heard Lillard moving up the draft charts.
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Roko Ukic.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Can La Bomba play the point?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information