Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Who do you realistically see as the Point Guard of the future?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote jojokabo wrote: View Post
    I joined this forum last night to lobby for Kendall Marshall, and wow i've found the place to do it. I know there are questions about his foot speed and shooting but you just don't get floor generals like him everyday. The man gets the ball in the perfect spot for his shooters everytime and has a sky high B-Ball IQ. I don't know but when I watch him play I just feel his game, and you can't argue his Tar-Heel pedigree. He is projected mid first round i believe..get utah on da phone lol!! My dream would be JV,Barnes and Kendall for the next 15 years. people are sleeping on this guy!

any thoughts on Kendall? On another note after reading Raptors Rebublic everyday I'm so happy I manned up and joined this awesome community. from Newfoundland..GO RAPS!!!
    Welcome Jojo!

Well as I posted earlier, I'm very high on Kendall, and after watching him set the record for assists in the ACC, I'm convinced this guy has ELITE level court vision. Very few players have the ability to see 4 different plays at the same time and pick the right one.
    And he always picks the right one.
    In Masai we Trust.

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    Welcome Jojo!

Well as I posted earlier, I'm very high on Kendall, and after watching him set the record for assists in the ACC, I'm convinced this guy has ELITE level court vision. Very few players have the ability to see 4 different plays at the same time and pick the right one.
    And he always picks the right one.
    I'm starting to come around on Marshall big time.. I'd be very happy if we picked him up. You don't need to be athletic to be a good point guard in the NBA.. look at guys like Lin or Jose or even Kidd in the latter part of his career. There are better picks in the top 5.. but if we fall out of the top 5, I'd take a crack.

My board is looking like this:

Davis
    MKG
    Beal
    Robinson
    Barnes
    Drummond
    Marshall
    Lamb

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Are you in Europe?

If not, where do you watch the games?
    Question was not for me, but..

If you want to see previous Euroleague games, you can find bunch in Youtube. Link for Panathinaikos.

For live games you can always go to
    http://www.lshunter.tv/basketball-li...ing-video.html. It still works and covers most of the basketball games around the world (Euroleague, Eurocup, VTB, NBA, etc..). Most links appear just before the game starts. Language is not English mostly and quality is not good. I'd consider it as the last chance option, if i really wanna watch game live and have no other options.

And there is always an option to subscribe for euroleague.tv

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Whenever we talk about acquiring our future starting PG within the draft, the assumption is that that player must be picked in the first round. Is it possible that our second round pick this year might be how we get our PG? Last year the Raptors were attempting to acquire a second round pick in order to get Cory Joseph.

Our second rounder should be very high based on the standings, which would put us in a good position to potentially get someone who slides or to take a flyer out on someone. We are currently seeing someone like Isaiah Thomas who is contributing in Sacramento and was recently a Co-Rookie of the Month with Kyrie.

After looking at potential names one that has stood out to me is Scott Machado from Iona. He is currently leading the NCAA in APG (just above Kendall Marshall), and has a very impressive 3.08 AST/TO ration.

Chad Ford writes the following:

Positives
    • Quick, athletic point guard
    • Racking up assists as a senior
    • Excellent speed in the open court
    • Excels at the drive and pass
    Negatives
    • Undersized
    • Has had conditioning issues in the past
    • Late bloomer

His shooting percentages have also increased every year across the board. He has a .490 FG%, .808FT%, and a .411 3P%.

I have not seen him play at all, but to read that he thrives within a drive and dish offense, it sounds like he could work well in the Pic N' Roll with Valanciunas.

Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Shantz wrote: View Post
    Whenever we talk about acquiring our future starting PG within the draft, the assumption is that that player must be picked in the first round. Is it possible that our second round pick this year might be how we get our PG? Last year the Raptors were attempting to acquire a second round pick in order to get Cory Joseph.

Our second rounder should be very high based on the standings, which would put us in a good position to potentially get someone who slides or to take a flyer out on someone. We are currently seeing someone like Isaiah Thomas who is contributing in Sacramento and was recently a Co-Rookie of the Month with Kyrie.

After looking at potential names one that has stood out to me is Scott Machado from Iona. He is currently leading the NCAA in APG (just above Kendall Marshall), and has a very impressive 3.08 AST/TO ration.

Chad Ford writes the following:

Positives
    • Quick, athletic point guard
    • Racking up assists as a senior
    • Excellent speed in the open court
    • Excels at the drive and pass
    Negatives
    • Undersized
    • Has had conditioning issues in the past
    • Late bloomer

His shooting percentages have also increased every year across the board. He has a .490 FG%, .808FT%, and a .411 3P%.

I have not seen him play at all, but to read that he thrives within a drive and dish offense, it sounds like he could work well in the Pic N' Roll with Valanciunas.

i love the players that stay until their senior year. i don't know this kid particularly but i will check him out now. the idea of a our second rounder which should be between 33-37 should get a decent player.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Lillard then Marshall. Ok with a flyer on Augustin.

Didn't want to add negatives on this but after watching Jennings live this week on my travels I am a definite no there (after being gung-Ho) for him previously)

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Damien Lillard

Quote Maleko wrote: View Post
    Lillard then Marshall. Ok with a flyer on Augustin.

Didn't want to add negatives on this but after watching Jennings live this week on my travels I am a definite no there (after being gung-Ho) for him previously)
    I regularly check the Hoop Doctor's 2012 NBA Mock Draft Database, and recently came across this interesting mock draft: http://thehoopstuff.com/hoopstuffs-2012-nba-mock-draft/ .

Note that the author has the Raptors picking 10th based on where he thinks the team will be at the end of the season. His pick for the Raptors:

"10. Toronto Raptors: Damian Lillard-PG- Weber State

- Lillard has burst onto the scene as the top point guard in the country. He is the top scorer in the nation and has very good point guard skills. The Raptors have been looking for a young point guard for years and he could start right away, or play the sixth man role until ready. Suddenly the Lillard, Derozan, Bargnani, Valanciunas, Davis, Johnson core is one of the strongest young cores in the league."

He almost sounds like a Raptors fan

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote wrooster wrote: View Post
    I regularly check the Hoop Doctor's 2012 NBA Mock Draft Database, and recently came across this interesting mock draft: http://thehoopstuff.com/hoopstuffs-2012-nba-mock-draft/ .

Note that the author has the Raptors picking 10th based on where he thinks the team will be at the end of the season. His pick for the Raptors:

"10. Toronto Raptors: Damian Lillard-PG- Weber State

- Lillard has burst onto the scene as the top point guard in the country. He is the top scorer in the nation and has very good point guard skills. The Raptors have been looking for a young point guard for years and he could start right away, or play the sixth man role until ready. Suddenly the Lillard, Derozan, Bargnani, Valanciunas, Davis, Johnson core is one of the strongest young cores in the league."

He almost sounds like a Raptors fan
    Lillard is the reason I don't mind the raptors dropping in the draft.

Raptors Republic All-Star RaptorsFan4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Goran Dragic 23 PT 8-14 FG 3-3 FT 4-7 3P 5/0 RB 8 AS 0 BL 1 ST 2 TO 0 PF 37 MN (Final, Nets)

Another amazing start for Dragic, that's 3/3 (vs Thunder, @Thunder and @Nets) so far this season. He's averaging like 20/8 in games he started.

Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

How about Avery Bradley?

http://basketball.realgm.com/tradech..._trade/6062520

Boston just lost Chris Wilcox and JO is already hurt. They need a backup big man.
    your pal,
    ebrian

Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ebrian wrote: View Post
    How about Avery Bradley?

http://basketball.realgm.com/tradech..._trade/6062520

Boston just lost Chris Wilcox and JO is already hurt. They need a backup big man.
    all over him but not starter material. great player. every celtics game they say he is the best on the ball defender at his position in the league. great bench pg.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Miekenstien wrote: View Post
    all over him but not starter material. great player. every celtics game they say he is the best on the ball defender at his position in the league. great bench pg.
    He could be one of the best backup point guards in the league if he played more, and can be a solid starter. And his defense is very VERY good, I love watching him defend other point guards, he just can't get shaken off.

Raptors Republic All-Star grindhouse's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

with lin going off in NY I would make a trade for iman shumpert 6'6 long arms and can play D thats all u need, jordan use to bring up the ball mark jackson dominated for years.

Post Thanks / Like

If we do draft Beal, Bradley makes a lot of sense, even as a starter.

Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I never thought that Jerryd Bayless would be good enough to become a starting PG either. I think if you give Avery more minutes and opportunity, he could shine or he might not, but at least you gave it a shot and got rid of Amir's untradeable contract. Plus you get a couple of expirings in the deal.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    If we do draft Beal, Bradley makes a lot of sense, even as a starter.
    The biggest issue would be the lack of height in our backcourt with Bradley and Beal (6'2" and 6'4" respectively).
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    The biggest issue would be the lack of height in our backcourt with Bradley and Beal (6'2" and 6'4" respectively).
    Yeah compared to Jose 6'3 and Demar 6'7. Pretty big height differences there, but the NBA height isn't usually a problem unless you're 6' and under. But players with "under" height average can play the game well. I.E Ty Lawson, Nate Robinson, Allen Iverson (6'1 shooting guard) etc.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Brandon Jennings.

Trade Ed Davis for Brandon Jennings.

Jennings has expressed interest in T.O, and I'm not that high on Ed anymore, especially with our glut of PFs. I think that a Calderon/Jennings PG combo would be fantastic for next season, and then we could gauge the position after that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote SCass wrote: View Post
    Brandon Jennings.

Trade Ed Davis for Brandon Jennings.

Jennings has expressed interest in T.O, and I'm not that high on Ed anymore, especially with our glut of PFs. I think that a Calderon/Jennings PG combo would be fantastic for next season, and then we could gauge the position after that.
    Plus he's Demar Derozan's best friend. That should really say a lot.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
    Plus he's Demar Derozan's best friend. That should really say a lot.
    Are you saying that they have bad attitudes? I see Jennings as having swagger, and being a natural leader while Demar is lacking swagger, and is more of a follower. Maybe Jennings would help motivate Demar?

I would rather have Jennings and see how he and Demar progress than be left with a benched Ed (too many PFs).

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread Information