Gauging the 2012 Draft pick - and how the Raptors move forward

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gauging the 2012 Draft pick - and how the Raptors move forward

How do we gauge the 2012 draft pick as being a successful draft pick? at least 20pts a game and 10 asts (if a guard/forward) or 10 rebs (if a PF/C)

Should we expect the pick to be productive right out the gate, or give him at least a season to adjust?

How many minutes should we expect him to play?

If he turns out to be a dud, how do the Raptors move forward?

Maybe we can save this thread for when we know who the specific player is. The criteria we use to measure success will largely depend on what position he plays.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
      Maybe we can save this thread for when we know who the specific player is. The criteria we use to measure success will largely depend on what position he plays.
      True. But i think right now we should already have a general idea as to what the Raptors will be expecting from this draft pick. I dont want to tag him as a "saviour" but the reality is, IMO, there will be a big boulder that will be placed on this pick's shoulders come next season. At least from my perspective, this draft pick will definitely be groomed as a starter for this team. Even if he does not start come the new season, eventually, he will. At least thats what my expectations are of this pick.

Comment

Only 3 guys really strike me as potential all stars in this draft, Davis, MKG and Beal. All three are worth moving up in the draft for. After that there's a handful of guys that COULD be all stars down the road but they'd have to maximize on their potential. Otherwise, I'd say they'll be very solid starters for years to come. The thing with this draft is there's lots of guys with oodles of potential, even in the second round, but who knows? I wouldn't be shocked if 5 years from now theres a couple all-star level players who were selected in the second round.
        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
          Only 3 guys really strike me as potential all stars in this draft, Davis, MKG and Beal. All three are worth moving up in the draft for. After that there's a handful of guys that COULD be all stars down the road but they'd have to maximize on their potential. Otherwise, I'd say they'll be very solid starters for years to come. The thing with this draft is there's lots of guys with oodles of potential, even in the second round, but who knows? I wouldn't be shocked if 5 years from now theres a couple all-star level players who were selected in the second round.
          Do you think there's a sense of urgency for the Raptors with this pick? Should they be thinking that with this pick, the team should improve drastically and at least be a playoff team?

Comment

I think there's a sense of urgency since this will likely be our highest pick for years (if we expect to be battling for a playoff spot next season and beyond).

Going into Colangelo's last season, he needs to show ownership that he knows what he's doing. I would guess he's not looking for a project, and more of a player who can contribute next season.

Comment

I haven't seen Beal play yet. I need to pencil in some Gator games...

Comment

tbihis wrote: View Post
                Do you think there's a sense of urgency for the Raptors with this pick? Should they be thinking that with this pick, the team should improve drastically and at least be a playoff team?
                I think there certainly should be
                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Frankly, if I'm BC and if I end up with a pick in the 6-12 range I do whatever it takes short of trading JV to move into the top 5 to get one of the 3 guys.
                  @sweatpantsjer

Comment

The thing with Beal is his game is more tailored for the NBA, too. He's good at what he does in college but he's going to be awesome in the NBA. I've heard rumblings of teams wanting to possibly convert him to PG since his ball handling and court vision are so good.
                    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

I'd add Robinson to that list.. I see all-star in his cards.

Comment

The thing with Beal is his game is more tailored for the NBA, too. He's good at what he does in college but he's going to be awesome in the NBA. I've heard rumblings of teams wanting to possibly convert him to PG since his ball handling and court vision are so good.
                        Maybe Beal's our PG of the future

Based on a few YouTube videos, his offensive arsenal already seems more diverse than DeRozan's. So if he's drafted, more decisions are required. There's no point in having Beal and DeRozan as SGs.

Comment

With the three guard starting line up of Boynton and Walker in addition to Beal, Beal hardly had a chance to show what he could do. Boynton and Walker look for themselves first and everyone else much later in the thought process.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                            Maybe Beal's our PG of the future

Based on a few YouTube videos, his offensive arsenal already seems more diverse than DeRozan's. So if he's drafted, more decisions are required. There's no point in having Beal and DeRozan as SGs.

DeMar could easily play a 6th man role, playing both the 2 and three. He still could get starters minutes that way.

Jonas, Gray, Amir
                            Andrea, Ed, Amir,J.J., Kleiza
                            Batum, DeMar, J.J., Kleiza
                            Beal, DeMar,Forbes
                            Calderon,??????,????

Comment

I like, Beal, but I don't see star potential, but he could definitely be a really good(REALLY REALLY GOOD) 2nd option. Sharing the backcourt is hard, but sharing it with two more scoring undersized PG/SG is harder. From the Florida games I've seen, Beal is looking good, but not great, although he has a really smooth game and can definitely play part-time PG for the Raptors. I see Miller, AD, MKG, Barnes, Ross, Drummond, Robinson, and Rivers as having star potential. If they reach it, I don't know, but their game and talent are undeniable.

Comment

Working...
                              X