Taking on Salary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking on Salary?

Just throwing this out there, and I'm sure there will be a lot of hate for an idea like this, but do any of the RR faithful think that BC should try and pick up another first round pick by taking on a bad contract? Like what the Cavs did last year with B Davis.

2 possibilities: Trading Barbosa to CHA or WAS for T Thomas or A Blatche + their unprotected 2012 First Rounder?

Both those teams are desperate to unload those long-term contracts, and I realize that those guys are punks (though maybe Casey could "coach them up"), and that we already have a crowded front-court, but if it gives you another shot at the top pick, is it worth it?

I don't think either team will offer their 2012 picks. Both teams are guaranteed to be picking in the top 5 if they stay on a similar course the rest of the year. If they did I would definitely take them up on it. We would lose out of signing Batum or other high end free agents though, unless we amnesty someone, or make more trades.

Comment

The plus is the teams are young and may not want to add another fresh draft pick, but I doubt it.
      Also since Casey talked about preserving cap situation I don't see it happening.

Comment

fuck blatche with razor wire. i would hate the raptors to be the team stupid enough to take him. guaranteed losers until his contract runs out.

Comment

Colangelo has said that he wants to either have less cap space or remain salary cap neutral in the summer.. so I don't think this would work.

But if he was convinced.. one idea that I was thinking was a trade between Detroit and Toronto:
          http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=7vhn3t4

Toronto gets Gordon and Pistons first rounder (probably in the 5-7 range)
          Detroit gets Bayless and Barbosa (both expiring)

Gordon can then be used as our 6th man (no defense, black hole on offense, but can replace Barbosa's numbers). The problem with Gordon is he's still owed $25M in 2 years (after this year). That would annihilate our cap. Detroit would do this as they become instant players in free agency. They had already used their amnesty on Rip.. so getting rid of Gordon's contract should be a no brainer for them - even it means getting rid of a lottery pick.

The likelihood this happens is probably less than 5%.. but it's an idea to throw out there.

Comment

Gordon is intriguing if only for the pick. In that role he would be more than double overpaid but with the picks we could more likely get Barnes and Lillard (even if trading down). Calderon would come off the books after next season perhaps signing as the backup at backup salary or not. Gordon would come off the following year. He does fill a need with 3pt shooting and bench scoring.
            If this would happen and we drafted as above we would have a lineup of nice starters with a scoring/D mix off the bench.

PG: Calderon, Lillard (developing into the starter)
            SG: Derozan, BGordan, Forbes
            SF: HBarnes, JJ, LKleiza
            PF: Bargnani, Amir, ED
            C: JVal, AGray

Now this would not by any means be my ideal scenario with Gordon coming over but it has options.

Comment

No lotto team is giving up a pick in this draft, no matter who they give up.
              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                No lotto team is giving up a pick in this draft, no matter who they give up.
                I agree.. for the Pistons though, Dumars has been on the record that he would trade Gordon for expiring contracts.. so I think Detroit would do the deal - not sure Bryan would.

Also I read that Rip was not amnestied.. he was bought out. So the Pistons could use their amnesty on Gordon but he's owed quite a bit still.. not sure if the owner would want to absorb so much money.

Pistons need PF and wing depth. This draft has lots of that.. so I think they hold on to their pick. But if we offered two expiring contracts for Gordon I think Dumars would gamble on free agency over the draft. Actually I think they'd even do it for Amir + Barbosa.. that way we shed salary as well - but I like Amir so I'm on the fence over that one.

But like I said.. probably less than 5% chance this happens.

If we can get the Piston's pick - we get more chances at Davis.. but even if we don't get Davis, we could end up with an awesome pair like Beal/MKG, Beal/Barnes, MKG/Robinson, Beal/Robinson, MKG/Marshall etc... but Bryan wants to hit the ground running - which means he values cap space over draft picks.

Comment

Working...
                X