Thread: Mike Krzyzewski - NBA

Raptors Republic Starter omgsomuchpotential's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Mike Krzyzewski - NBA

Why didn't he ever go to NBA? From what I know he seems to be a great coach, possibly one of the best in US today?

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote omgsomuchpotential wrote: View Post
    Why didn't he ever go to NBA? From what I know he seems to be a great coach, possibly one of the best in US today?
    I guess he is/was happy where he is. He is one of the highest paid NCAA coaches. He is a god at DUKE.

Some people are always looking for the next great thing. Others find a place where they are happy and comfortable.

I don't envy NBA coaches having to massage and ego-stroke the players. It is a totally different situation than one would find in the NCAA. Callipari and Patino are 2 examples of great college coaches who struggled to find success at the next level. Jerry Tarkanian too. Larry Brown is an example of a success though.
    Last edited by mcHAPPY; Tue Mar 13th, 2012 at 12:14 PM.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Coaching at the elite NCAA level is THE top coaching job in basketball. Being a NBA coach would be a step backwards and a poor career choice. Coach K is among the very best ever and I always root against Duke.

Raptors Republic Veteran Bendit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Coaches at the elite/big universities make more than most pro coaches. For the most part when the college coach says "jump" the answer by the college player is "how high coach/sir?". Probably the only downside is that college coaches have to do their own recruiting so they act as the defacto GM as well...but they have total control and the elite schools also have their pick of the recruits as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I guess he is/was happy where he is. He is one of the highest paid NCAA coaches. He is a god at DUKE.

Some people are always looking for the next great thing. Others find a place where they are happy and comfortable.

I don't envy NBA coaches having to massage and ego-stroke the players. It is a totally different situation than one would find in the NCAA. Callipari and Patino are 2 examples of great college coaches who struggled to find success at the next level. Jerry Tarkanian too. Larry Brown is an example of a success though.
    To be fair though, Callipari didn't have the luxury of a talented roster to work with in his 3 seasons.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Bendit wrote: View Post
    Coaches at the elite/big universities make more than most pro coaches. For the most part when the college coach says "jump" the answer by the college player is "how high coach/sir?". Probably the only downside is that college coaches have to do their own recruiting so they act as the defacto GM as well...but they have total control and the elite schools also have their pick of the recruits as well.
    This.
    In Masai we Trust.

Raptors Republic All-Star Red and White's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't you all remember when Krzyzewski was offered 40 mil by the Lakers to replace Phil Jackson? He turned it down.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/5344612/

I do not think it is a question of "he makes more money in college" because clearly money is not the factor. I think he loves his job. He loves the respect he gets from Duke. I mean Duke named their Business and Ethics centre "Coach K Buisness and Ethics Centre". Can you believe that? He is a God there. There are reports of him cussing out players mothers because the player declared for the draft, and Duke did not punish him.

http://dukechronicle.com/article/fuq...-ethics-center

Or the usual answer. He loves winning.

Either way, I would not leave if I was him.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Another silly myth.

According to Forbes, the NBA’s Highest-Paid Coaches For 2011-12

Doc Rivers (Celtics): $7 million
    Mike D’Antoni (Knicks-resigned): $6 million
    Gregg Popovich (Spurs): $6 million
    Nate McMillan (Trail Blazers): $5.5 million
    Rick Adelman (Timberwolves): $5 million
    Flip Saunders (Wizards-fired): $4.8 million
    Rick Carlisle (Mavericks): $4.5 million
    Mike Brown (Lakers): $4.5 million
    Stan Van Gundy (Magic): $4.5 million
    Scott Skiles (Bucks): $4.5 million

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbade...oni-as-member/

The highest paid college coach is John Calipari at $4 million, which is less than what #10 Scott Skiles males. http://www.therichest.org/sports/hig...tball-coaches/

A college coaching job at a successful college program is a much more secure job (and I would venture far less stressful) than a NBA head coaching job and considering the money is "good enough", it is reasonable to expect some coaches prefer that lifestyle to that of a NBA head coaching job.

Raptors Republic Starter omgsomuchpotential's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Hugmenot wrote: View Post
    Another silly myth.

The highest paid college coach is John Calipari at $4 million, which is less than what #10 Scott Skiles males. http://www.therichest.org/sports/hig...tball-coaches/

A college coaching job at a successful college program is a much more secure job (and I would venture far less stressful) than a NBA head coaching job and considering the money is "good enough", it is reasonable to expect some coaches prefer that lifestyle to that of a NBA head coaching job.
    I think the college list is outdated because I read it somewhere that Coach K makes 6 million a year now.

Post Thanks / Like

College coaches also get paid by shoe companies and generate revenue from basketball camps.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

So you heard something or of other sources of revenue but have no source to back it up?

Cool story bro!

Post Thanks / Like

Another silly myth.

"Another silly myth"? Aren't you being a tad over judgmental? I was making a general observation (about coaches at elite programs not venturing to the pros where they might be considered entry-level) which I dont believe rises to mythical proportions.

I wrote "Coaches at the elite/big universities make more than most pro coaches.".

I did not write "...more than the highest paid pro coaches". You provided the top ten highest paid pro coaches and not the next 20.

There are also ancillary incomes and bonuses for making tournament play never mind that the pros play a 82 game schedule vs about 30 in college.

Rick Pitino is the current highest paid @ 7.5. This not a myth.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/colle...y-database.htm

I cannot seem to find a credible source for the latest full list of all nba coaches. I imagine there would be a whole slew of 1 & 2 mil./yr salaries in the lower half number. Let me know if you find one.

Post Thanks / Like

So you heard something or of other sources of revenue but have no source to back it up?

Cool story bro!
    Coach K has a private contract with Nike. In 1993 it paid him a million a year.

http://community.seattletimes.nwsour...8&slug=1698378

Coach K's other sources of income:

Krzyzewski is in great demand as a speaker (earning as much as $100,000 per speech), and he gives regular motivational talks at Morgan Stanley and General Motors; both are run by Duke grads. He has endorsement deals with Nike, American Express and State Farm, and he runs summer basketball camps for some 2,000 kids and a fantasy camp for around 80 adults. He oversees two leadership programs, one at Duke and another at West Point, and raises millions for Duke Medical Center, for the new Emily Krzyzewski Family Life Center (named for his mom), which serves Durham's poor, and for his basketball team's new practice facility.

Post Thanks / Like

I cannot seem to find a credible source for the latest full list of all nba coaches. I imagine there would be a whole slew of 1 & 2 mil./yr salaries in the lower half number. Let me know if you find one.
    On average, NBA coaches make more than their college counterparts.

http://weaksideawareness.wordpress.c...f-nba-coaches/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Prime wrote: View Post
    On average, NBA coaches make more than their college counterparts.

http://weaksideawareness.wordpress.c...f-nba-coaches/
    I would accept that. However, the point I really was trying to express in my orig. post was that coaches in elite college programs do get paid more than many of the coaches of many NBA teams. Not elite college coaches to elite pro coaches. By my count using your link (and a certain amount of hopefully conservative conjecture due to missing salaries) I come up with 13 coaches earning in the 1 -2 mill. per. If we then add ancillary incomes which the real biggies in college can command thru alumni/booster groups etc I believe a fair case can be made that my original point was less than "silly myth". Salaries as well is just one of the many reasons (possibly with lesser weight) why the big names in college dont enter the pro ranks.

Thread Information