Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Everything Jerryd Bayless

Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Miekenstien wrote: View Post
    ???i don't think i wrote that.
    Yea sorry I'm on my phone it's hard to do quote on the mobile version of this website

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

You only get one chance to make a good first impression. Unfortunately for Jerryd most of us had a less than favorable impression of his start in the league as a PG based on his lack of play making ability.
    If he had just burst upon the scene now and was giving us his defense, scoring and decent assists totals, he would have a lot more Raptors fans willing to give him some time to develop into a very good starter.
    There isn't a long list of available guys that are going to be significantly better.
    The one thing that I have confidence in when it comes to Bayless is the pride he takes in giving it all when he's on the floor. He hates to lose and you don't see him just going through the motions no matter what the score is.
    I'd like to see what would happen if everyone played with the same intensity on a consistent basis.

Raptors Republic Starter RapthoseLeafs's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bayless Gives his All

There's no doubt Jarryd can make a great contribution to this team. But not as our Starting Point Guard.

He could function as a combo Guard, alternating between Jose & Demar - with even Derozan getting some minutes at the SF spot. In fact, it's Demar who could feel pressure from JB. But in the end, Bayless - IMO - is not a true facilitator or Quarterback.

Either in this next draft, free agency session, or through a trade - Raptors need to acquire a true Point Guard. And if Bayless feels this setup is not to his liking, then I think both sides need to move on to greener pastures.

Post Thanks / Like

Bayless needs to figure out how he can produce in similar proportions, but in reduced minutes, around 20-25mpg. No team in this league will take him as a starting point guard because of his inconsistent court vision and tendency to lose sight of the team and enter "getting his" mode.

If this spell is "proving" anything, it's that Bayless has a future in this league as a backup scoring guard, much like the departed Leandro Barbosa. This isn't really news.

Raptors Republic All-Star Balls of Steel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Arsenalist wrote: View Post
    Bayless needs to figure out how he can produce in similar proportions, but in reduced minutes, around 20-25mpg. No team in this league will take him as a starting point guard because of his inconsistent court vision and tendency to lose sight of the team and enter "getting his" mode.

If this spell is "proving" anything, it's that Bayless has a future in this league as a backup scoring guard, much like the departed Leandro Barbosa. This isn't really news.
    This is why he can't get a starting gig. It's not for the lack of talent but rather temperament and maturity. His cage can get rattled rather easily and for the most part, he's a bull in a china shop. He still need others to get involved before he gets to the next level. As for the SI critics, they're morons. This is a "lose-lose, " damn if you do or don't situation for JB. The kid was trying to win, what's he supposed to do, dog it?
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Raptors Republic All-Star Balls of Steel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote RapthoseLeafs wrote: View Post
    There's no doubt Jarryd can make a great contribution to this team. But not as our Starting Point Guard.

He could function as a combo Guard, alternating between Jose & Demar - with even Derozan getting some minutes at the SF spot. In fact, it's Demar who could feel pressure from JB. But in the end, Bayless - IMO - is not a true facilitator or Quarterback.

Either in this next draft, free agency session, or through a trade - Raptors need to acquire a true Point Guard. And if Bayless feels this setup is not to his liking, then I think both sides need to move on to greener pastures.

They can always draft Kendall Marshall in the 20s right?
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Post Thanks / Like

Quote RapthoseLeafs wrote: View Post
    I don't see why this need is as pressing as you make it out to be.

1. Why do we need a true PG? We already have guys who can create their own shots in iso with Andrea and DD. A true PG is only needed if your starting lineup lacks a good scorer.
    2. How many teams roll with a true PG these days? Let's take a look at the top teams in the league:

Miami > no true PG on roster
    OKC > no true PG on roster
    Spurs > no true PG on roster
    Chicago > not starting a true PG (Lucas isn't starting)
    Philly > no true PG on roster
    Lakers > not starting a true PG (Blake isn't starting)

Moreover, how many championship teams of the past decade had a true PG?
    (FYI the answer is two: Dallas & Boston)
    Last edited by Prime; Mon Mar 19th, 2012 at 12:16 AM.

Raptors Republic Starter b2kelly's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd rather take a flyer on any rookie NCAA PG then have to put up with bayless for 5 years, thatd be a let down of perpetual mediocracey.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Prime wrote: View Post
    I don't see why this need is as pressing as you make it out to be.

1. Why do we need a true PG? We already have guys who can create their own shots in iso with Andrea and DD. A true PG is only needed if your starting lineup lacks a good scorer.
    2. How many teams roll with a true PG these days? Let's take a look at the top teams in the league:

Miami > no true PG on roster
    OKC > no true PG on roster
    Spurs > no true PG on roster
    Chicago > not starting a true PG (Lucas isn't starting)
    Philly > no true PG on roster
    Lakers > not starting a true PG (Blake isn't starting)

Moreover, how many championship teams of the past decade had a true PG?
    (FYI the answer is two: Dallas & Boston)
    Chauncey Billups is not a true PG?

Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

"...He has said all the right things about being willing to come off the bench, but after spending the season under the wing of former NBAer Johnny Davis, Bayless appears ready to graduate to a bigger role."

This is encouraging, if accurate. Maybe some proper instruction is getting through. As I have said previously, the last four games from Bayless have impressed me. He has definitely changed his approach to the first half of games. He SEEMS to be teachable. I am a little more inclined to want to keep him around for a while.

Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I would say he falls under that score first type of guard. I think that's the perfect comparison for JB. Chauncey also was tossed around as a young player. Intill Detroit gave him a chance.

Raptors Republic Starter GameBreaker's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

He's playing basketball as he's supposed to. That's what he's paid to do. If he didn't y'all would be on here talking about how shit he is and to trade him. Some of you guys are weird. Games are played to win, period!! A game is a game. These are professionals doing their job. You guys kill me. He's playing good and we're beating good teams. This is basketball!!! Games are played to win. ***.

Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Nope. He's a combo guard.

Raptors Republic Starter saints91's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is my feeling on it. I don't think he has great court vision, and he is not a great distributer. He tends to take the team on his back and look for his shot first. I'm cool with this style as a back up. When you have a less talented line-up on the floor it would be nice to have that extra punch of offence. We have talented guys in our starting line up and Bayless doesn't seem to be able to set them up as well as Calderon can. To maximize abilities you start the distributer and get the energy and scoring off the bench. I would like to see DeMar and Bargs with the ball in their hands more.

Raptors Republic All-Star Fully's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd classify him as a combo guard. He was starting at the two for the Clippers before his injury after all.

Raptors Republic Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Fully wrote: View Post
    I'd classify him as a combo guard. He was starting at the two for the Clippers before his injury after all.
    Maybe because CP3 was the PG on the team? Billups may have been so early in his career. Boston/Pitino drafted him thinking they could change him to be a pg. This didnt happen of course. But he evolved and became a good pg and one who could score. He is now in the last years (if at all after his injury) and the Clippers was probably the only team he would have been happy with playing the sg. He wants another title.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Jerryd Bayless needs to be a starter.

I've seen a lot of people here say that Jerryd Bayless would be best used as a Jason Terry type player off of the bench. They say that he's too much of a scorer, that he doesn't have enough court-vision to start, and that the Raptors need more of a true PG to start. I generally agree that having a pass-first PG as a starter is better, because in that lineup you more likely than not have your best scorers. However, throughout Jerryd Bayless' career, he has proved that he cannot an efficient role player.

2009-10 G FG% 3FG% FT% M PPG RPG APG TOPG
    Starter 11 .427 .273 .875 24.7 12.6 1.6 3.3 1.3
    Reserve 63 .410 .321 .820 16.4 7.8 1.6 2.2 1.3

2010-11
    Starter 14 .467 .333 .810 35.5 18.1 3.6 6.7 2.9
    Reserve 57 .396 .337 .803 17.5 7.0 2.0 3.0 1.5

2011-12
    Starter 11 .450 .429 .837 34.6 17.8 3.0 5.3 2.1
    Reserve 17 .391 .419 .878 17.5 8.5 1.6 3.1 1.6

These numbers prove to me that Jerryd Bayless should not be used off of the bench. Over the last three seasons, as a starter he shoots 5% better and his AST/TO is 32% higher. He scores more, more efficiently and gets more assists, more efficiently as a starter. Offensively, he's simply a better player when he starts. If he is going to be part of this team going forward, then it should not be as a scorer off of the bench. He needs to start to be efficient, what he gives you as a bench player is below replacement level basketball. He's more assertive with the ball when he starts, he sees the court better and he seems to play with more energy. Basketball is a game of maximizing the worth of your assets to maximize the value of your team. If Jerryd Bayless is re-signed after this season, then he better be coming back as a starter, lest he make the Raptors a worse team.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Was it really necessary to create yet another Jerryd Bayless thread when there are already two threads in his name on the first page?

Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

there can be only one

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Miekenstien wrote: View Post
    there can be only one
    One ring ... er.. thread, to rule them all.
    In Masai we Trust.

Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread Information