Everything Jerryd Bayless

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fully wrote: View Post
    I'd classify him as a combo guard. He was starting at the two for the Clippers before his injury after all.
    Maybe because CP3 was the PG on the team? Billups may have been so early in his career. Boston/Pitino drafted him thinking they could change him to be a pg. This didnt happen of course. But he evolved and became a good pg and one who could score. He is now in the last years (if at all after his injury) and the Clippers was probably the only team he would have been happy with playing the sg. He wants another title.

Comment

• Jerryd Bayless needs to be a starter.

I've seen a lot of people here say that Jerryd Bayless would be best used as a Jason Terry type player off of the bench. They say that he's too much of a scorer, that he doesn't have enough court-vision to start, and that the Raptors need more of a true PG to start. I generally agree that having a pass-first PG as a starter is better, because in that lineup you more likely than not have your best scorers. However, throughout Jerryd Bayless' career, he has proved that he cannot an efficient role player.

2009-10 G FG% 3FG% FT% M PPG RPG APG TOPG
      Starter 11 .427 .273 .875 24.7 12.6 1.6 3.3 1.3
      Reserve 63 .410 .321 .820 16.4 7.8 1.6 2.2 1.3

2010-11
      Starter 14 .467 .333 .810 35.5 18.1 3.6 6.7 2.9
      Reserve 57 .396 .337 .803 17.5 7.0 2.0 3.0 1.5

2011-12
      Starter 11 .450 .429 .837 34.6 17.8 3.0 5.3 2.1
      Reserve 17 .391 .419 .878 17.5 8.5 1.6 3.1 1.6

These numbers prove to me that Jerryd Bayless should not be used off of the bench. Over the last three seasons, as a starter he shoots 5% better and his AST/TO is 32% higher. He scores more, more efficiently and gets more assists, more efficiently as a starter. Offensively, he's simply a better player when he starts. If he is going to be part of this team going forward, then it should not be as a scorer off of the bench. He needs to start to be efficient, what he gives you as a bench player is below replacement level basketball. He's more assertive with the ball when he starts, he sees the court better and he seems to play with more energy. Basketball is a game of maximizing the worth of your assets to maximize the value of your team. If Jerryd Bayless is re-signed after this season, then he better be coming back as a starter, lest he make the Raptors a worse team.

Comment

• Was it really necessary to create yet another Jerryd Bayless thread when there are already two threads in his name on the first page?

Comment

• there can be only one

Comment

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
            there can be only one
            One ring ... er.. thread, to rule them all.

Comment

• I'd like to see Forbesy get Bayless minutes for a couple games (i know its not going to happen) and see what kind of stats he produces. From the last few games i've watched Forbes actually runs the offense better.

This isn't a "Bayless sucks!" civil war post, im just genuinely wondering.

A lot of Bargs troubles since he's been back are from his injury and his own confidence but a lot has to be blamed on Bayless. I can think of a few times in both the memphis and charlotte games when he was screaming at him to pass him the ball because he was wide open but Jerryd was doing his hero thing. Granted, the ball has been falling for him pretty well the past couple games but he's got i repeat GOT to get the other players more involved. You can throw "but hes averaging 8 assists over the last few games!" at me but there's some things the box score doesn't really tell.

I was thinking the other day it'd be interesting if you paired him with a guy like Beal or a point forward type player, but the reality is he needs to dominate the ball to be effective, and that's the big red flag right there.
              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• saints91 wrote: View Post
                Here is my feeling on it. I don't think he has great court vision, and he is not a great distributer. He tends to take the team on his back and look for his shot first. I'm cool with this style as a back up. When you have a less talented line-up on the floor it would be nice to have that extra punch of offence. We have talented guys in our starting line up and Bayless doesn't seem to be able to set them up as well as Calderon can. To maximize abilities you start the distributer and get the energy and scoring off the bench. I would like to see DeMar and Bargs with the ball in their hands more.
                I totally agree, but i would add "At the moment" to this comment.

First of all, i dont want him to start over Calderon. Calderon is the starting PG of this team, period. But down the road, if the Raps decide they no longer want Calderon to be their starting PG, i wouldnt mind giving Bayless a shot.

2nd, with a coach like Casey who preaches unselfish basketball and Calderon who is a very unselfish player, i cant see any reason why Bayless cant learn from these two when it comes to ball distribution, court vision, etc. IMO, its easier to teach or tell Bayless to pass or not to take long twos early in the shotclock, than telling Calderon to take over the game in crunch time.

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                  I'd like to see Forbesy get Bayless minutes for a couple games (i know its not going to happen) and see what kind of stats he produces. From the last few games i've watched Forbes actually runs the offense better.

This isn't a "Bayless sucks!" civil war post, im just genuinely wondering.

A lot of Bargs troubles since he's been back are from his injury and his own confidence but a lot has to be blamed on Bayless. I can think of a few times in both the memphis and charlotte games when he was screaming at him to pass him the ball because he was wide open but Jerryd was doing his hero thing. Granted, the ball has been falling for him pretty well the past couple games but he's got i repeat GOT to get the other players more involved. You can throw "but hes averaging 8 assists over the last few games!" at me but there's some things the box score doesn't really tell.

I was thinking the other day it'd be interesting if you paired him with a guy like Beal or a point forward type player, but the reality is he needs to dominate the ball to be effective, and that's the big red flag right there.
                  I noticed that as well.

Going to commercial breaks when time outs were called or end of quarter, numerous times Bargnani was talking Primo with him.

Comment

• I dont mind Bayless but he is NOT a starter on this team or in this league for that matter.

Comment

• From NBA.coms Power Rankings:

Starting the last five games, Jerryd Bayless has averaged 21.8 points and 7.6 assists, shooting 54 percent from the field. The Raptors have been more efficient offensively with Bayless on the floor and will have a decision to make this summer, when the 23 year old is a restricted free agent.
                      Source

DoNDaDDa wrote: View Post
                      I dont mind Bayless but he is NOT a starter on this team or in this league for that matter.
                      I don't really understand this statement.
                      He's shown to be an effective starter, according to his play, last year and this year.
                      So how can you now come out and make a statement like this.

If he were putting up Steve Blake numbers as a Starter, then fine, I'd get it.
                      But he's not.
                      Last edited by Joey; Mon Mar 19, 2012, 12:37 PM.

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                        From NBA.coms Power Rankings:

I don't really understand this statement.
                        He's shown to be an effective starter, according to his play, last year and this year.
                        So how can you now come out and make a statement like this.

If he were putting up Steve Blake numbers as a Starter, then fine, I'd get it.
                        But he's not.

I don't mean to keep repeating myself - maybe this is the last time I'll offer my two cents - but it is so much more than numbers. If it was just numbers, a guy like Al Jefferson would be a perennial all-star.

Personally, I would like my point guard to make others around him. I don't see that in Bayless' game at this time. It might be something he can develop but I am not confident. I would really like to be wrong though. If the future PG is right here, why keep looking?

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                          I don't mean to keep repeating myself - maybe this is the last time I'll offer my two cents - but it is so much more than numbers. If it was just numbers, a guy like Al Jefferson would be a perennial all-star.

Personally, I would like my point guard to make others around him. I don't see that in Bayless' game at this time. It might be something he can develop but I am not confident. I would really like to be wrong though. If the future PG is right here, why keep looking?
                          Finally! hahaha

Is Bayless still on his rookie contract?

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                            One ring ... er.. thread, to rule them all.
                            All joking aside, why the hell should I bother discussing a topic with someone who is not astute or interested enough to notice there are already two active threads discussing the same basic topic on the first page?

(not directed at you Joey)

Comment

• See I'm fine with that. I just get when ppl are ready to take a flyer on random player when we haven't figured out are own current prospect.
                              @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• tbihis wrote: View Post
                                Finally! hahaha

Is Bayless still on his rookie contract?
                                Yes he is.
                                @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Working...
                                X