Everything Jerryd Bayless

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I think I got the point. All I was saying is that sometimes stats (like in the Milwaukee game) don't tell the full story. If anyone thought Bayless had a good game versus Milwaukee, in my opinion, they didn't watch it.
    I didnt see it, so i can only go by stats. Im not saying he had a good game, but im saying labelling it "poor" might be a bit too much as well.

Like what Tim W. used to always tell me, its all "semantics".

Comment

tbihis wrote: View Post
      The Calderon-Ford fiasco was purely a coaching issue. Mitchell wanted to split the minutes between Ford and Calderon. It wasnt like Ford sucked after he came back from injury, and it wasnt like Calderon was spectacular either. Mitchell just split the minutes, period. And Ford didnt like it so he got shipped out. Bayless played good basketball when Calderon went down last season, but Triano still went back to Calderon when he got better. And this season, Jose is the starter, even if Bayless played good in the final few games last season.
      Put 2 and 2 together man. Why did Triano still go back to Calderon? Why does Casey?
      your pal,
      ebrian

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
        Put 2 and 2 together man. Why did Triano still go back to Calderon? Why does Casey?
        +100000000000000
        Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

I didnt see it, so i can only go by stats. Im not saying he had a good game, but im saying labelling it "poor" might be a bit too much as well.

I think it would be worth your time to find the game and watch it.

Comment

Btw, what happened to that guy Tim W.?
            your pal,
            ebrian

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
              This might be a little naive on my part but one could also watch the game. Stats are a wonderful and helpful thing but there is still a great amount of subjectivity in evaluating talent.
              Yes, there is a great amount of subjectivity in evaluating talent.

Metrics should be used to determine if your observations are consistent with facts and to pinpoint areas to investigate further if they do not. There is a point though at which you must choose between your research and your observations.

Keep in mind this is the viewpoint of someone who first got involved in sabermetrics more than 30 years ago to disprove ludicrous statements from sport journalists who were saying things like "the cost of playing Greg Luzinski in left field is 100 runs per year" as facts.

Comment

Hugmenot wrote: View Post
                Yes, there is a great amount of subjectivity in evaluating talent.

Metrics should be used to determine if your observations are consistent with facts and to pinpoint areas to investigate further if they do not. There is a point though at which you must choose between your research and your observations.

Keep in mind this is the viewpoint of someone who first got involved in sabermetrics more than 30 years ago to disprove ludicrous statements from sport journalists who were saying things like "the cost of playing Greg Luzinski in left field is 100 runs per year" as facts.
                Unless you are lucky enough to have the stats back up your opinion

Comment

I just find it baffling that there's this much debate over a player like Bayless. To me, it's very clear he's not capable of running an offense, and I don't wish to waste the team's valuable resources (i.e. salary, time, coaches) hoping he "gets it" at an unknown time in the future.

If Bayless magically grew 4 inches, a strong case could be made that Bayless deserves the starting SG spot over DeRozan. But he's definitely no PG.

Comment

For me, the truest (is that even a word?), most accurate evaluation of Bayless is... my wife. Before we got married, she had never watched a game, but now she even "likes" the Raptors on Facebook. Throughout Bayless' time on the Raptors, my wife has been constantly baffled by Bayless' play, often asking me questions like: "why is he playing 1 on 5?" or "why doesn't he use his teammates the way Caldy does?" or "why doesn't he pass the ball more?" or "why does he stand there and dribble for so long and then just take a long shot that isn't even close?". Even as a recent basketball fan, my wife is able to observe the fact that the offense just seems to stall when Bayless subs in for Calderon and that they have to work twice as hard to get a basket. I just laugh when she gets into a game and gets so frustrated when Bayless jacks up a forced shot early in the shot clock to kill the team's momentum, exclaiming "Bayless is useless" at the TV... makes me proud! lol

Comment

• tbihis wrote: View Post
                      Hasnt shown much? Did you see his numbers when Calderon went down last season?

Like i said, the guy got traded to the Raptors mid-season last year (NO CAMP, LIMITED PRACTICES), and with this season (NO CAMP, NO PRACTICES) plus missed 17 games due to injury.

Youre not giving him the benefit of the doubt, youre judging a player who hasnt even had the chance to run full sets with his teammates. And, given a new system i might add.
                      Yes, I saw his numbers last year. They're the same as this year. They look good on paper, but he still can't run an offense.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                        For me, the truest (is that even a word?), most accurate evaluation of Bayless is... my wife. Before we got married, she had never watched a game, but now she even "likes" the Raptors on Facebook. Throughout Bayless' time on the Raptors, my wife has been constantly baffled by Bayless' play, often asking me questions like: "why is he playing 1 on 5?" or "why doesn't he use his teammates the way Caldy does?" or "why doesn't he pass the ball more?" or "why does he stand there and dribble for so long and then just take a long shot that isn't even close?". Even as a recent basketball fan, my wife is able to observe the fact that the offense just seems to stall when Bayless subs in for Calderon and that they have to work twice as hard to get a basket. I just laugh when she gets into a game and gets so frustrated when Bayless jacks up a forced shot early in the shot clock to kill the team's momentum, exclaiming "Bayless is useless" at the TV... makes me proud! lol
                        Enough said.
                        Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

Have you ever heard of the show "Wife Swap"?

Ummmmm, just joking, honey.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                            Have you ever heard of the show "Wife Swap"?

Ummmmm, just joking, honey.
                            lol I ususally get home from work just as the game is starting and I'm often lucky enough to find the game already on our big TV... those are the days I feel like a lucky man!

Bottom line is that all you have to do is watch the game in an unbiased manner, and it becomes pretty clear that Bayless isn't a distributor who looks to make his team better. He looks to get his own first, then looks to his teammates second. Good player, bad point guard.

Comment

• RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
                              He misses wide open players, whether it's cutting, back-doors, mismatches, the hot hand, he just can't see these things. His court awareness is not very good, he can't see where defenders are coming from when he's pressured fully, and he can't control the other four players in creating an offence. He's too unpredictable, and if you saw the Cleveland game, he ran one play, which was the shooting guard come off double screens in the low post to free open. He got picked off quite a bit off of those plays, and they changed their game-plan defensively, because they knew Bayless was only going to run that one play. He got his playing time, and had nice stats. But a couple assists came off 'pass at the last second', and he threw up so many prayers, luckily he made them. I remember when he tried putting a move on Irving, and held the ball for 3 seconds, than threw it up like it was a bomb, and drained it. Sure, confident shot, but not a good one.

Basketball IQ for a point guard, is know all plays defensively/offensively, know your check, find mismatches, see your teammates, run the team smoothly, control shot selection whether it's your shot or your teammates', make the right play/decisions, know who has the hot-hand, and it's your job to lead the team into the game-plan. He did a fair job of running the team vs. Cleveland, but he had as many bad decisions as good ones. And, I'm not talking about turnovers. Jump-shots, tunnel vision, telegraphing etc. etc.
                              There are only a hand full of PG that do all that. Like does every except the raptors to get a hall famer at the PG spot?
                              @Chr1st1anL

Comment

lol I ususally get home from work just as the game is starting and I'm often lucky enough to find the game already on our big TV... those are the days I feel like a lucky man!

Bottom line is that all you have to do is watch the game in an unbiased manner, and it becomes pretty clear that Bayless isn't a distributor who looks to make his team better. He looks to get his own first, then looks to his teammates second. Good player, bad point guard.
                                Ahhhh quit rubbing it in.

lol

Comment

Working...
                                X