Everything Jerryd Bayless

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The new CBA raised qualifying offers.

Myself, and many others, have been talking about JB's qualifying offer being $4.1M. That means, despite no contract, he would be a salary cap hit of $4.1M. As mentioned, new CBA raised qualifying offers, and his new qualifying offer is $7.6M.

He is definitely not worth that.

(I read this somewhere yesterday and not sure where. If anyone knows, please link it).

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
      The new CBA raised qualifying offers.

Myself, and many others, have been talking about JB's qualifying offer being $4.1M. That means, despite no contract, he would be a salary cap hit of $4.1M. As mentioned, new CBA raised qualifying offers, and his new qualifying offer is $7.6M.

He is definitely not worth that.

(I read this somewhere yesterday and not sure where. If anyone knows, please link it).
      If this true, stay away from Bayless at all costs!

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
        If this true, stay away from Bayless at all costs!
        It depends what happens before July 1st.

If they make trades and are at or above the salary cap, they would be foolish not to extend the offer. They don't have to sign him to it but he at least remains an asset.

Comment

• Qualifying Offers Qualifying Offer amounts are the same as in 2005 CBA except, starting in 2012-13, as follows: any first round pick who, over his prior two seasons, starts an average of 41 regular season games per season or averages 2000 or more minutes of playing time per season (the “starter criteria”) will receive the same Qualifying Offer amount as the player who was the 9th pick in the draft; any second round pick or undrafted player who meets the starter criteria will receive the same Qualifying Offer amount as the player who was the 21st pick in the draft; and any first round pick selected in the first 14 picks in the draft who fails to meet the starter criteria will receive the same Qualifying Offer amount as the 15th pick in the draft.

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports...-document.html

Bayless numbers
          http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/...0uFQU416_WPaB4
          puts him in the third criteria

Robin lopez 15th selection
          QA 4 mil
          http://hoopshype.com/salaries/phoenix.htm
          Last edited by jbml; Sat Apr 28, 2012, 08:34 AM.

Comment

• I made a mistake. I have used qualifying offer and cap hold interchangeably - this is wrong.

Bayless' qualifying offer is $4.1M.

Bayless' cap hold is $7.6M.

Bayless is a $7.6M cap hit without a contract. If he signs the qualifying offer, it is $4.1M and then he counts as $4.1M to the salary cap.

If the Raptors renounce Bayless to get the cap space, he becomes unrestricted and Toronto loses the ability to resign him above the salary cap, offer him larger annual raises (i.e. Bird Rights), and match another team's offer.
            Last edited by mcHAPPY; Sat Apr 28, 2012, 08:29 AM.

Comment

• I'm thinking he has early bird rights transferred from Portland?

26. How long must a player be with one team before the Larry Bird exception can be used?
              The basic idea is that a player must play for the same team for three seasons for his team to gain Bird rights (two seasons for Early Bird rights). It can be a single three-year contract, a series of three one-year contracts, or any combination that adds up to three seasons (two for Early Bird). However there are a number of complications:

When a player is traded, his new team inherits his Bird rights. For example, if a player signs a three-year contract, plays two and a half seasons with that team, and is traded at the trade deadline in the third season, then his new team owns full Bird rights following the third season.

https://webfiles.uci.edu/lcoon/cbafaq/salarycap.htm#Q26

12. Salary Cap Holds
              Salary Cap holds – i.e., amounts that are included in a team’s team salary in respect of the team’s free agents prior to signing, calculated based upon a multiple of the free agent’s prior salary – are as follows:
              First-round picks Reduced from 300%/250% (if prior salary is below average salary / above average salary) to 250%/200%
              Bird Reduced from 200%/150% to 190%/150%
              Early Bird 130% (same as 2005 CBA)
              Non-Bird 120% (same as 2005 CBA)

This would put his cap hold at 4.7 mil
              Edit: No early bird rights on a rookie scale contract so the 4.7 would not be correct. It looks more like the 7.6 mil you stated Matt

However

Hoopsworld has his cap hold @9.1 mil
              http://www.hoopsworld.com/toronto-raptors-team-salary

Edit I don't think they used the new CBA reduced % of 250
              Last edited by jbml; Sat Apr 28, 2012, 09:44 AM.

Comment

• Against all odds and in complete contravention of everything I thought would be possible, in the games before his hip pointer took him out for the season, I thought Bayless was really playing within himself and doing all the things we have been hoping he would do. Not just getting good assist numbers because some hail Mary pass got to a guy who made an incredible shot with 1/2 second left on the clock.

Bayless was making smart passes and getting the ball to guys who were in a good position to score. He managed to do this without significantly altering his own scoring numbers. The big difference was the elimination of the ten seconds of pounding the ball while he waited for his own shot to open up.

Just like the tantalizing glimpse of what Bargnani could be, I think we saw a slip of a possible Bayless to Billips transformation. I found it intriguing to say the least. I am almost convinced to give him another year to see if it is real. he could always be traded away part way through the season if it isn't. He does have the ability to go on a streak and make big shots. Just needs to have a governor fitted to his shot selection motor.

Comment

• Jerryd Bayless’ future remains as clear as mud.

Bayless is a restricted free agent who can either be signed to a long-term contract extension, signed to a $4.16 million U.S. qualifying offer which would make him unrestricted next season, moved in a sign-and-trade or lost to an offer sheet the Raptors decline to match.

While the point guard has played extremely well in 25 games as a starter over the past two seasons (averaging 18 points and six assists on considerably better shooting than what he’s posted in 77 appearances off of the bench as a Raptor), he has had injury issues and is not a traditional floor general.

Bayless intoned on Thursday that he sees himself as a starting calibre point guard, but the general thinking is he is better-suited to a scoring guard role off of the bench.

Head coach Dwane Casey is a supporter, but recognizes Bayless is still a work in progress.

“He wants the ball in his hands. He wants to make the play. But also it’s to his detriment, because for his growth, he’s got to be able to get everybody else involved. That’s going to help his game, when he develops that sense of: ‘OK, I’ve got the ball, but here’s DeMar, he’s got a better shot, or here’s Valanciunas rolling down the lane. I’ve got to make that pass.’ I’ve clearly told him that and he knows that,” Casey said.

“He’s got a niche in this league where you can look at James Harden in Oklahoma City and Jason Terry (two great scorers who can also handle the ball). Guys don’t like to be compared to other players, but those guys make a nice living at doing that.”

Raptors general manager Bryan Colangelo said Bayless has even made a comparison of his own — Chauncey Billups — the one-time Raptor who bounced around constantly as a youngster before eventually emerging as an all-star and finals MVP.

“(Bayless) works his tail off, he’s professional, he approaches the game and the business the right way. It’s not the end of the world for a guy like Jerryd not to know exactly where his position is when he’s only 23 years old, it doesn’t happen at the same time for everybody,” Colangelo said.

“He’s a talent, he’s an athlete, he can defend the ball, he can score the ball, and we’ll see.

“I would say as a young prospect, he’s certainly someone that we’ve got an interest in keeping or retaining and again, he’s got talents that can be utilized on a basketball court.”

While Colangelo also admitted that while Bayless’ hefty $7.2-million cap hold (in effect basically until he signs a qualifying offer or new contract) could complicate his off-season manoeuvring (the ability to sign or trade players) and that moving Bayless in a sign-and-trade could also be a possibility, the veteran executive also said the way Bayless has handled himself has endeared him to the organization.

“I appreciate the fact that a young player says: ‘I want to be here in Toronto, I love the city of Toronto, I love the opportunity you guys have given me, I love the staff, I really want to be here,’” Colangelo said.

“That makes some sense to us.”
                  http://www.calgarysun.com/2012/04/27...t-about-jerryd

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
                    Against all odds and in complete contravention of everything I thought would be possible, in the games before his hip pointer took him out for the season, I thought Bayless was really playing within himself and doing all the things we have been hoping he would do. Not just getting good assist numbers because some hail Mary pass got to a guy who made an incredible shot with 1/2 second left on the clock.

Bayless was making smart passes and getting the ball to guys who were in a good position to score. He managed to do this without significantly altering his own scoring numbers. The big difference was the elimination of the ten seconds of pounding the ball while he waited for his own shot to open up.

Just like the tantalizing glimpse of what Bargnani could be, I think we saw a slip of a possible Bayless to Billips transformation. I found it intriguing to say the least. I am almost convinced to give him another year to see if it is real. he could always be traded away part way through the season if it isn't. He does have the ability to go on a streak and make big shots. Just needs to have a governor fitted to his shot selection motor.
                    My thoughts exactly. Sums it all up quite nicely.

Comment

• “I appreciate the fact that a young player says: ‘I want to be here in Toronto, I love the city of Toronto, I love the opportunity you guys have given me, I love the staff, I really want to be here,’” Colangelo said.

“That makes some sense to us.”
                      This is something I've been saying for a while as well.
                      Its not everyday we get someone pleading to stay with the team.

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                        This is something I've been saying for a while as well.
                        Its not everyday we get someone pleading to stay with the team.
                        This is extremely rare especially for the Toronto Raptors. I'm hoping that Bayless see's the opportunity for extended PT and is willing to sign a smaller deal with flexibility for him if he shows well. I would like to see a 3 year deal for 12-15 million (total of course not per) and the last year be a player option. I love his passion and think as he matures his game will as well. He's a game changer and has the tools to be a stud I'd hate to see him walk.

Comment

• It's funny how Casey compared Bayless to two of the best back-up shooting guards in the league. I wonder if that's what Bayless wants to hear? Casey wants to employ Bayless as a back-up two guard who can shoot from 3 and handle the ball...but Bayless wants to be a starting 1.

The thing is I think he could be a starting PG job on another team.
                          -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
                          -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

• Raptorsss wrote: View Post
                            It's funny how Casey compared Bayless to two of the best back-up shooting guards in the league. I wonder if that's what Bayless wants to hear? Casey wants to employ Bayless as a back-up two guard who can shoot from 3 and handle the ball...but Bayless wants to be a starting 1.

The thing is I think he could be a starting PG job on another team.
                            I agree with the first and not with the second.

Bayless and the Raptors have different views on his future career potential.

I don't think he is a starting PG at this time.... but that is just me.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                              I agree with the first and not with the second.

Bayless and the Raptors have different views on his future career potential.

I don't think he is a starting PG at this time.... but that is just me.
                              Portland, Sacramento, Charlotte, Atlanta, Miami, Orlando, LAL, NJ (assuming they lose DWill), UTAH, Indiana are all within the realm of possibilites as possible landing spots for him.
                              -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
                              -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

• Raptorsss wrote: View Post
                                Portland, Sacramento, Charlotte, Atlanta, Miami, Orlando, LAL, NJ (assuming they lose DWill), UTAH, Indiana are all within the realm of possibilites as possible landing spots for him.
                                Portland - maybe but that could change after Christmas.... er, I mean free agency. Given how Felton played after McMillan's firing I don't think he would have started this year.
                                Sacramento - debatable. Isaiah Thomas' stats as a starter are impressive.
                                Charlotte - over DJ Augustin (now) and Walker (future)? I'm not sure.
                                Atlanta - over Teague? I'm not sure.
                                Miami - maybe. Depends how well he plays without the ball and playing as the 4th option at best.
                                Orlando - maybe. A healthy Jameer is pretty good. But he is past his best year's so I could agree with this.
                                LAL - maybe. Sessions has been playing some really good ball for them.
                                NJ - with no Williams, yes.
                                Utah - Harris turned it around the last part of the year.
                                Indiana - Collison and Hill would start over him, in my opinion.

Even if he was on another team, I don't think his starting is an automatic. Then you have to look at the sh!t teams (like Toronto, Charlotte, Sacramento, NJ) and wonder if he could put up those stats or be effective in a winning environment with more talent around him. One worry I have about him in Toronto is his stats when the Raptors lose are better than when they win.

Comment

Working...
                                X