Everything Jerryd Bayless

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• saints91 wrote: View Post
    I would be curious to see how other Raptors have preformed since Bayless has taken the helm. While he is not taking the shots for them I think other players have suffered with him on the court. That is just my observation.
    I would agree, Demar & Bargnani are kind of struggling. Our foundation players. But Demar has been inconsistent all season, and Andrea is rusty, which could be reasons. But, they are struggling with Bayless in the lineup.
    Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
      I would agree, Demar & Bargnani are kind of struggling. Our foundation players. But Demar has been inconsistent all season, and Andrea is rusty, which could be reasons. But, they are struggling with Bayless in the lineup.
      As you say, Demar struggled just as bad with Jose in the Lineup. As has everyone else.

Did just read in the NBA.com preview of the game tonight, that with Bayless starting over the last 4 games, the Raps are averaging 6 points more per game. So thats something.

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
        I am not delusional at all. I know what kind of player Bayless is.
        And since starting, he has made a SERIOUS effort to get others involved, and averaging 8 assists per game is proof and testament to that.
        He's a young Point Guard, who knows how to score the ball. He's LEARNING to get others involved, and it is showing.
        I think you are "delusional" if you can't acknowledge that he has improved as a play maker.
        +1. But stats don't always tell the story, UNLESS he continues the production. But, if you watched the game, the ball movement and offense was kind of "scrambled" as it's been in the past with him running the offence, unlike Jose, but he is developing into a much better play-maker for the team.

Comment

I am not delusional at all. I know what kind of player Bayless is.
          And since starting, he has made a SERIOUS effort to get others involved, and averaging 8 assists per game is proof and testament to that.
          He's a young Point Guard, who knows how to score the ball. He's LEARNING to get others involved, and it is showing.
          I think you are "delusional" if you can't acknowledge that he has improved as a play maker.
          I think he has improved as a play maker but I don't think that makes him a good one. He still has a way to go. That is not meant to be an insult, it is no different that different aspects of DD, JJ, and ED.

I just want to point out the statistics though. 8 assists per game is certainly evidence but I wouldn't call it proof. Pounding the piss out of the ball, looking for yourself first/passing as a last resort, and ill advised jump shots are still flaws in his game. What gives me hope though is that he has shown the ability to play as a pass first point guard and a legit scoring threat within the flow of the offense. Unfortunately consistency from game to game - and even half to half - is lacking.

By the way, Jerryd, overall, played a very good game against Memphis.

Comment

As you say, Demar struggled just as bad with Jose in the Lineup. As has everyone else.

Did just read in the NBA.com preview of the game tonight, that with Bayless starting over the last 4 games, the Raps are averaging 6 points more per game. So thats something.
            But Demar in the last couple games seems to be "out of the loop." When he takes shots they are fairly random ones, they don't run as many plays for him or Bargnani as they should, and they have to create for themselves too much. IMO, as a point guard myself, you have to get the ball to the guys that can produce and have shown they can do it. Just my opinion.

And yeah that is something, and he has been shutting down every other point guard he's played against, don't get me wrong, I've been loving the way he's playing recently, and I've always liked his game, it's just his offensive play-making is different to Jose's and I just wanted to point out the differences.

Comment

• He is improving, I'm not disagreeing with you. He really only had up to go. I haven't denied that he has improved, I'm just saying you guys are making him out to be a super playmaker, and passer and he is far from it. Last night was ugly, we won, but it was ugly basketball. If your arguments are not going to be realistic than there is no point in debating.

Comment

He is improving, I'm not disagreeing with you. He really only had up to go. I haven't denied that he has improved, I'm just saying you guys are making him out to be a super playmaker, and passer and he is far from it. Last night was ugly, we won, but it was ugly basketball. If your arguments are not going to be realistic than there is no point in debating.
                What has been unrealistic about anything I've said? Bayless has done all the talking for me.
                He's played great for 4 games, and hopefully he continues to do. Not sure what the debate is....

I've never once contended that is Jose Calderon 2.0. He's not.
                But it seems like you guys expect him to be in order to be an effective PG.
                I believe that is unrealistic.
                Last edited by Joey; Sat Mar 17, 2012, 06:02 PM.

Comment

What has been unrealistic about anything I've said? Bayless has done all the talking for me.
                  He's played great for 4 games, and hopefully he continues to do. Not sure what the debate is....

I've never once contended that is Jose Calderon 2.0. He's not.
                  But it seems like you guys expect him to be in order to be an effective PG.
                  I believe that is unrealistic.
                  +1 Again. Jose's a true point guard, and Bayless is a scoring point guard. Can't compare the differences of mind-sets, just how well they do of running a team. We all know Jose is a better play-maker, but it's not like Bayless can't turn into a good one as well.

Comment

• RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
                    +1 Again. Jose's a true point guard, and Bayless is a scoring point guard. Can't compare the differences of mind-sets, just how well they do of running a team. We all know Jose is a better play-maker, but it's not like Bayless can't turn into a good one as well.
                    I think Bayless will mostly be more of a combo guard. He is a better SG than he is a PG. If I were to put Calderon and Bayless on at the same time I would prefer Calderon to play the point. If I had a choice of starting Calderon or Bayless, I would start Calderon. That's my opinion. Calderon is by far the better playmaker, floor general and PG.

I don't think I should be comparing the two, but they are both playing the same position on the same team. I have a preference in PG play, and apparently other people have their preferences. Agree to disagree.

I don't think Bayless will ever be the pass first, make other players around you better qualities that I like. He has a style and it works him. I'll say this when Bayless makes that first pass early in the shot clock and doesn't hold on to it he plays 100% better. Unfortunately he abandons that after the first quarter.

Comment

I think Bayless will mostly be more of a combo guard. He is a better SG than he is a PG. If I were to put Calderon and Bayless on at the same time I would prefer Calderon to play the point. If I had a choice of starting Calderon or Bayless, I would start Calderon. That's my opinion. Calderon is by far the better playmaker, floor general and PG.

I don't think I should be comparing the two, but they are both playing the same position on the same team. I have a preference in PG play, and apparently other people have their preferences. Agree to disagree.

I don't think Bayless will ever be the pass first, make other players around you better qualities that I like. He has a style and it works him. I'll say this when Bayless makes that first pass early in the shot clock and doesn't hold on to it he plays 100% better. Unfortunately he abandons that after the first quarter.
                      I understand but, there two side of the ball. Personally I think that your PG defensively is more important. As the head of the snake. You just can't have consitent breakdowns from that position. I know Calderon has made improvements but, his still subpar unlike JB.
                      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

The majority of the game there was no ball movement. As a team we didn't play a great game. Bayless did well, but Memphis dug their own grave with their free throw shooting.
                        Wow. I just threw up in my mouth in disgust.

Funny how the Raps win and a poster in a Raps forum posts something like this.

Didnt the Raps dig their own grave too when they let Gay hoist up 2 game tying 3 pointers?
                        When JJ fouled too early?
                        When the Raps led by as much as 15 and let the the Griz catch up?
                        The supposed lane violation?
                        The "act of shooting" foul on clearly planted feet of the offensive player?

FTs are part of the game, either you make em or miss em.

How bout Bayless 2 baskets in the dying seconds?
                        And FTs? what about Forbes' FTs? and Amir's?

The Raps won this game, nobody "handed it to them".

Comment

• tbihis wrote: View Post

...Or that charge Bayless took on Mayo near the end of the game.

Comment

I agree with this. Its pretty much a "preference thing" when it comes to the Bayless and Calderon comparison.

One aspect that I think Bayless has over Calderon is his fearlessness. I dont think Ive ever seen Calderon attack the basket or put the game in his hands during the dying seconds of the game. IMO, during the dying seconds, the guard position has the best chance of creating a good play since he's most likely the fastest who can get to the basket or make the kickout pass.

Comment

Didnt the Raps dig their own grave too when they let Gay hoist up 2 game tying 3 pointers?

They missed 20 free throws in a tight game. They lost the game on the line. I didn't say the Raptors didn't play amazing to be in it at the end, and eventually win the game. Memphis had every chance to win this game win at the line and they didn't. Hope the truth doesn't make you puke.
                              Last edited by saints91; Sat Mar 17, 2012, 10:01 PM.

Comment

I think it speaks to objectivity.

No doubt the Raptors won the game - and deservedly so. However, the Grizzlies missed many more foul shots than they normally do and it was the difference in the game.

Personally, I think it was the basketball gods levelling playing field due to the sh!t officiating and allowing the team that deserved the win to get it.

Comment

Working...
                                X