Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Everything Jerryd Bayless

Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote saints91 wrote: View Post
    Calderon is a good shooter. He has taken a few "game on the line" shots this year. Some he has made, some he has not. He is a gifted shooter, and I would say if he took the 13 plus shots that Bayless takes, I think on average he would have similar to better results.

But this isn't a Calderon vs. Bayless thread
    Calderon is a good shooter. But by Bayless taking over the game in the dying seconds is taking people off the dribble either penetrating or taking that shot within 8-10 feet of the basket. I dont think you'll have much sucess if you iso Calderon.

Bayless needs to master the drive and kick.

I know. Its just that its a lot easier to point out Calderon in reference to Bayless since he is currently the antithesis of Bayless.

Post Thanks / Like

The basic discussion has been is he the PG of the future, and should he be retained. Based on his career and talents as a PG, I should say let him walk. The last five games have been inspiring, if he can continue to show that he can improve his PG skills (passing, getting players involved, running the offence) then he definitely should be kept for the right price. He has to learn how to play like this off the bench though.
    I think you're contradicting yourself a bit here. How can he prove himself this season if Calderon is already coming back? You want to see if he can continue with his good play, but youre letting him walk. And, you want to see him continue to hone his skills yet continue him to come off the bench. Im confused.

You cant show what youre fully capable of in 15-17 minutes of play. If Calderon didnt get injured, we wouldnt be having this discussion. Its because Bayless is now playing 35-40mins a game thats why were having this thread. We've seen what he can do, and i believe he can learn and do more, given the chance.

If the Raps are truly committed to Calderon and Bayless, let Bayless start till the end of the season and see what he can CONSISTENTLY do.

Raptors Republic All-Star saints91's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

You don't have to be a starter to be effective and to show you have skill. If you let the mental aspect of starting vs coming off the bench bother you, then there is a problem. In most cases Bayless won't be a starter in this league. If he can't do it off the bench then whats his worth?

I'm saying based on this career up to this point he has been nothing special. I wouldn't have resigned him. Based on the last 5 games he has gotten my attention, now I want to see if it's going to be consistent. He can show me he can lead the team with 18 minutes a game, and be consistent with his regular role.

Or better yet, play the better player. hint, hint I bet Claderon starts
    Last edited by saints91; Mon Mar 19th, 2012 at 03:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

You don't have to be a starter to be effective and to show you have skill. If you let the mental aspect of starting vs coming off the bench bother you, then there is a problem. In most cases Bayless won't be a starter in this league. If he can't do it off the bench then whats his worth?

I'm saying based on this career up to this point he has been nothing special. I wouldn't have resigned him. Based on the last 5 games he has gotten my attention, now I want to see if it's going to be consistent. He can show me he can lead the team with 18 minutes a game, and be consistent with his regular role.

Or better yet, play the better player. hint, hint I bet Claderon starts
    BOLD - then why the heck are we discussing whether Bayless can be the future starting PG???? I think when we say starter, its equivalent to who gets more minutes. Isnt usually the case but pretty much the gyst. I dont think you can expect him to show what he's fully capable of in a bench role, let alone 15-17mins a game. You can see glimpses, but not the full picture. If Casey hasnt seen something with Bayless as a starting PG, then why is he playing more minutes than Forbes, as the starting PG while Calderon is out?

The Raptors did not re-sign him. He was traded for Jack. Bayless is still in his rookie contract. If you re-sign him cheap and ends up being a good PG, then youve struck gold. But thats a different discussion.

Of course Calderon will start. The Raps have already had their share of PG controversies in the past, and Casey already came out and said there will be no PG controversy on his watch. Now, come next season, if Bayless proves he can be a good PG, then thats a different story.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote tbihis wrote: View Post
    BOLD - then why the heck are we discussing whether Bayless can be the future starting PG???? I think when we say starter, its equivalent to who gets more minutes. Isnt usually the case but pretty much the gyst. I dont think you can expect him to show what he's fully capable of in a bench role, let alone 15-17mins a game. You can see glimpses, but not the full picture. If Casey hasnt seen something with Bayless as a starting PG, then why is he playing more minutes than Forbes, as the starting PG while Calderon is out?

The Raptors did not re-sign him. He was traded for Jack. Bayless is still in his rookie contract. If you re-sign him cheap and ends up being a good PG, then youve struck gold. But thats a different discussion.

Of course Calderon will start. The Raps have already had their share of PG controversies in the past, and Casey already came out and said there will be no PG controversy on his watch. Now, come next season, if Bayless proves he can be a good PG, then thats a different story.

Yes I know he was traded for Jack. I meant based on his career I wouldn't have resigned him this summer.

Many of players have come off the bench during there rookie contracts to become starters later on in their careers. You earn your minutes. OBVIOUSLY he hasn't if he doesn't start when Calderon is healthy. He would be best to take advantage of the minutes he gets off the bench. If he is better than Calderon next year, if he makes the team, then he should start.

As for getting more minutes than Forbes... I feel bad for Forbes. He is finally getting minutes this season and he has to play out of position. The fact that he is doing well is amazing. If Bayless can't start over a SG/SF then he would've been cut long ago.

Post Thanks / Like

Gary Payton would be rolling in his grave if he knew you were sticking up for this bum...kidding
    Last edited by saints91; Mon Mar 19th, 2012 at 03:33 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Gary Payton would be rolling in his grave if he knew you were sticking up for this bum...kidding
    hahahahahahaha dont you bring Gary into this! hahahaha

GP is one of the all time greats. I even emulated his wide open hands defensive stance and taking off with the right foot for the right handed layup.

Damn you you made me forget about Bayless.

Sorry to segway, but this is a freakin awesome idea!!!! - http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/ey...oo-on-her-side

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to segway, but this is a freakin awesome idea!!!! - http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/ey...oo-on-her-side[/QUOTE]

that's pretty awesome

Raptors Republic Starter charlz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Raptorsss wrote: View Post
    I've been saying all year long..watch him play a full a game and see how good he is. The past three games the guy has produced, end of story! He might be the best 3-point shooter on the team. The guy is a legit future starting PG in the league...
    if he can stay healthy and limit turnovers through continued play he is a great get.... but those are two big ifs.
    "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Bayless should be back next season

Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

bayless will be back next season unless someone throws ridiculous money at him

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Calderon back in the starting linup, Bayless to the bench

Injuries forced Jerryd Bayless out of both earlier meetings this season, but he’s back, and playing tremendously for the Raptors as the starting point guard.

“Jerryd has been playing real well, not only offensively but defensively,” Casey said.

Still, long-time starter Jose Calderon said his sore ankle was feeling better and he expected to play against the Knicks. Calderon has tended to get the most out of Andrea Bargnani, one of the major factors in why the team currently prefers to start him.

Casey said Calderon would return to the first group, though he planned to use both Calderon and Bayless at the same time in order to keep Bayless’ minutes up.

Though he will grin and bear a return to the bench, it is clearly not an ideal situation for Bayless, who has posted markedly improved numbers over his career as a starter versus a reserve.

“(Starting has) always been comfortable for me, but Jose’s here, he’s the starter, like I said, I just want to be here to help this team and do whatever I can to help this team whether that’s starting, coming off the bench or just cheering,” Bayless said.

“I want to be here. I said I love this city, I want to be here for a long time. Whatever they want me to do I’m going to do it.”

But the truth is, the restricted free agent-to-be has not helped the team nearly as much coming off of the bench and he is not surprised, though he can’t quite explain why.

“It’s just a different way you can play, it’s just different. You get four cracks instead of two, it’s just different,” he said, struggling a bit to elaborate further before going into more detail.

“It’s tough. I think being a backup point guard is the toughest role that there is because it’s tough to kind of find that balance (between looking to score and looking to set up teammates),” Bayless said.

“Not a perfect situation, but you try to do the best you can. Whatever that game calls for, that’s what you try to do.”

In about 7.5 fewer minutes per game off of the bench, Bayless has posted 9.3 fewer points, 2.2 fewer assists and shot 39%, compared to 45% he has managed as a starter — including a ridiculous 54.3% clip over his past five starts.

While the thinking has long been that Bayless might best be served as a high-scoring combo guard, like the recently traded Leandro Barbosa, he doesn’t seem overly interested in that role.

He recently reaffirmed that he saw himself as a point guard— meaning a distributor as well as a scorer — and on Monday advocated Gary Forbes as a better fit for the Barbosa role. Forbes scored a career-best 20 points two games ago.

“That’s going to be moreso Gary,” Bayless said of the combo scoring guard slot in the lineup. “Gary did a great job for us. Showed us what he can do.”

Bayless has shown what he can do as well.

The question with Calderon’s impending return, is will that continue to be the case?

Source: Ryan Wolstat, Toronto Sun

Post Thanks / Like

This will be an interesting stretch of games for Bayless. It seems like Casey is going to try and keep him at or over 30 minutes a game, if you can`t get in a groove and produce with those minutes (starter or not), I don't know what your problem is.

Raptors Republic Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

You have to respect him saying all the right things. From his perspective it must really tough. All young ballplayers want to be starters and to be finally told that you are a backup must not be easy to take. The problem here is that JB for the first time has had a chance to play extended mins as a starter and has done well further reinforcing in his own mind he can be one. I also doubt anyone here has told him he can categorically not be one. I wonder if there is lack of chemistry between he and Bargs hence the shift to Jose in his first game back. We know what Jose can do and it would have been better for the evaluation process if they continued having Bayless start a few more games at least.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bayless showing he belongs

Just when you are certain Bayless is not capable of being a full-time point guard, he goes on another run like the one he currently is on, making you rethink his future in this Raptors rebuild what do you guys think trade him go after someone in free agency or look for someone in the draft?

He is pouring in 21.8 points and 7.6 assists a night on great shooting over his past five games.

Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

And sure enough, the minute Jose Calderon is healthy again, JB returns to the bench where he belongs.
    your pal,
    ebrian

Post Thanks / Like

Quote ebrian wrote: View Post
    And sure enough, the minute Jose Calderon is healthy again, JB returns to the bench where he belongs.
    I really thought he should have played more last night vs. the Knicks, maybe I missed something while he was on the floor, but 14-15 minutes? I am not one pushing for him as our future starter, but I do feel he was short changed last night.

Post Thanks / Like

Guys, Bayless did this exact same thing last season. He stunk for most of the season and turned it on in the final games. He's proving nothing but he has the talent to be an NBA player but lacks the consistency to warrant a $4M qualifying offer.

Raptors Republic Starter WhatWhat's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

(Except last season, there was a large time gap in the sample size of Bayless starting, and he went back to his great play without missing a beat. But he ain't a pure PG so obviously he can't start for us long term.)

He was...okay this game. Got in foul trouble, then got injured. It honestly looked like he was going to pick things up before he got injured. -_-" But we're not going to re-sign him for sure, it's all moot.

Not starting him @ MSG has made me quite jaded as a fan though.

Post Thanks / Like

For the record I'm not against him coming back. I know he has talent. I think he should come back as a UFA is all. I don't think the market gives him $4M is all my point is and if the market won't give him $4M then neither should the Raptors to maintain exclusive contact on an extension.

Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread Information