Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Everything Jerryd Bayless

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't mind him being the PG of the future honestly. People here are too used to seeing Jose spoon feed all of our players so they think we need a guy who will get 10+ assists every night. I really don't give a crap as long as we win. There are a shit load of scoring PG's in the league so i don't see the problem. He reminds me of a bigger TJ ford but arguably a better shooter. We could simply move jose to the bench and start bayless. I don't really mind

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Aaron Gray received MVP chants for his hustle a few weeks back, and yes he had a few decent defensive/rebounding games since. Does that mean we should sign him long-term as our defensive anchor?

Bayless had a hot shooting night but you can't say he's the right guy to lead our offense in the future. There's no way this franchise needs to lock him up in a big contract.

Post Thanks / Like

give him the week and see if he can average above 10 points and 4 assists, if he can i say we extend him.

Raptors Republic Starter draftedraptor's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Not a hater. I think he is great for the current raptors lacking offensive production as he can make his own shot and drive to the rim. I simply don't think he is worth a lot of money which could go into acquiring better players or re-signing rookie contracts. A 3-game streak in your contract year is hardly worth any discussion. Give him the qualifying offer only if he puts up consistent numbers and plays on both ends of the floor.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Go back to last year as a starter for 14 games and this year as a starter and Bayless averages around 20 points 6-7 assists. His turnovers as a starter I remember last year were less than Calderone. The point is, he has a makeup that that makes him play better as a starter. I suspect that if given more of an opportunity to start, the areas of his game where he is weakest would improve. As it stands the team does as well with Bayless at the point but there is also the promise of an upside that he could be really good if given the chance.

Raptors Republic Starter WhatWhat's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It doesn't matter what you think of him really. We need to stop halfassing our commitment to him and throw him into the fire. The opportunity cost is too high. Dude can play, let's give him a shot that he's never gotten. Idk why people can't over the fact that he'll do stupid stuff at times.

Also, this game lines up with Bayless' other starts last season (highly efficient 18/6.7). Right down to the slow/shaky starts too. Meh. I'm more impressed w/ how Irving was locked down.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree: Bayless has the potential to be a starting PG...ON A BOTTOM FEEDING TEAM!

Hey, even mighty mouse was a superstar in the league with the Raptors~

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Raptorsss wrote: View Post
    Why are people only including these 3 games? The whole point that people like me are making, is he was arguably the best player on the Raptors last year when Jose went down. And low and behold, Jose goes down and Bayless is once again arguably the best player on the team.

And, judging by 3 games you say is too little? Same goes for his deficiencies, how is he going to become a better floor general? With 30+ starter minutes a game, until he and everyone else gets comfortable with him running the offense.

Look he already is an accomplished shooter, he has the toughness and energy, and arguably the quickness to be a starting point-guard. The only draw back I see, is his mental lapses. How best do you overcome those mental mistakes, playing time plain and simple!
    Bayless took some time to adjust to the new system and like a lot of players did not look to be ready at the start of the season. League wide, players were shooting poorly but his slump seemed to be particularly long. He has not learned to stop shooting when his shot isn't falling just like Calderon has not learned to keep shooting when his is. Casey has helped Calderon along with this and with his newly developed ability to shoot semi-contested shots; he is a much better player. Bayless is rounding back into form but when his shot is not falling he is like a gunfighter without his gun. It is vital that he works on his shooting consistency and all around game. To be fair though he has missed a lot of development time and is further along than Calderon was at this point in his career. Again, we should sign this guy cheap now and develop all that raw potential!

Raptors Republic Starter b2kelly's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

His distribution is still lacking big time. He doesn't have a bball IQ that I would like to see as a PG on this team. Maybe a backup but definitely not a starter.

Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote raptors2012 wrote: View Post
    I agree: Bayless has the potential to be a starting PG...ON A BOTTOM FEEDING TEAM!

damon was a good player.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote raptors2012 wrote: View Post

last time i checked we were bottom feeding at the moment.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

send his ass to the D-league.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't speak for the rest of the haters but I'm still here.

I don't think he is starting PG material.... sorry. If he can string together 15 straight performances like this maybe I'll start to re-think my position.

The thing I would want to point out is his play in this game was better than his statistics. He actually played the part of the PG which is what many of his detractors, myself included, have had issue with. Bayless usually looks for himself and only finds others when he is stuck (generalization but overall I think it is a fair statement) but in this case it was not the case. He drove when he had opportunity, took the shot when wide open or low shot clock, and found himself and others in the flow of the offense - basically he didn't force much.

Raptors Republic All-Star yertu damkule's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I can't speak for the rest of the haters but I'm still here.

I don't think he is starting PG material.... sorry. If he can string together 15 straight performances like this maybe I'll start to re-think my position.

The thing I would want to point out is his play in this game was better than his statistics. He actually played the part of the PG which is what many of his detractors, myself included, have had issue with. Bayless usually looks for himself and only finds others when he is stuck (generalization but overall I think it is a fair statement) but in this case it was not the case. He drove when he had opportunity, took the shot when wide open or low shot clock, and found himself and others in the flow of the offense - basically he didn't force much.
    not trying to be argumentative, but i think you'd be hard-pressed to find any PG (outside of the uber-elite) that can/have put up 15 straight games of similar #s. i certainly understand what you're getting at (the need for consistency), but we really aren't holding any other players to that same level of expectation.

that being said, while he's been impressive in his time as a starter (both last year & this), i'm not sure that that translates into being a bona fide starter in this L. CAN he be a starter? absolutely, he's definitely got the proper mental makeup for it...unfortunetly, i think he lacks the mental ability to be a PG.

someone else mentioned he could start, but on a bottom-feeding team. i don't think that's entirely true, but i have a hard time envisioning him as the starting PG on a contending team either. it's a catch-22...he plays better as a starter, but what he produces as a starter would be really, really good out of a back-up on a good team...but when he's in a back-up role, his production falls off a cliff.
    TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

Raptors Republic Starter OzRapFan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Has it ever been suggested?

That Bayless be our SG of the future?
    Yes he is undersized, but what does he not bring to the 2 that DeMar does?

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote yertu damkule wrote: View Post
    not trying to be argumentative, but i think you'd be hard-pressed to find any PG (outside of the uber-elite) that can/have put up 15 straight games of similar #s. i certainly understand what you're getting at (the need for consistency), but we really aren't holding any other players to that same level of expectation.

that being said, while he's been impressive in his time as a starter (both last year & this), i'm not sure that that translates into being a bona fide starter in this L. CAN he be a starter? absolutely, he's definitely got the proper mental makeup for it...unfortunetly, i think he lacks the mental ability to be a PG.

someone else mentioned he could start, but on a bottom-feeding team. i don't think that's entirely true, but i have a hard time envisioning him as the starting PG on a contending team either. it's a catch-22...he plays better as a starter, but what he produces as a starter would be really, really good out of a back-up on a good team...but when he's in a back-up role, his production falls off a cliff.
    You are absolutely correct. My point was consistency. Obviously just about everyone has a bad game from time to time - usually more frequently than once every 15 games.

Raptors Republic All-Star RaptorsFan4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Right here. I still think he forces his shot too much, when he's hot it doesn't matter but he does it regardless.

Raptors Republic Starter Papa Burgundy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote OzRapFan wrote: View Post
    That Bayless be our SG of the future?
    Yes he is undersized, but what does he not bring to the 2 that DeMar does?
    Why not ... bring in Tyreke Evans to play PG, and they can mesh roles on offense and defence
    The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Raptors Republic Starter saints91's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I've watched the game and I am ready to make my comments. I read some of your comments before I watched the game, so I was really keeping an eye on him. Yes he did have a good game, well he was good for a portion of the game. He shot the ball very well when he was moving the ball around and played with in the game.

I find in every game he has a spell that he thinks he's Jordan and needs to dominate the ball. He was doing so well, until the fourth(and a couple other stints), then he just starting looking for his own shots and letting the other four guys stand around. There was a 5 minute span that he did that and failed, he eventually went to the bench. After he is benched he usually comes back out and is out of that mode.

I find if he gets pressured he doesn't know how to deal with that and just runs a wild set, usually a wild drive to the basket. I don't mean wild in a good way. That's the difference between Jose and Bayless. Jose is calm and collected. Jose still can see the floor and knows where to go to break the pressure and take advantage of the situation. How often do you see Jose with his back to the offensive half court looking over his shoulder when his defender is pressuring him. Very rarely, he staying facing his opponent and can seen the entire court. If he gets double teamed he passes it off and then gets it back and settles everything down. Over all I think Jose has better passing skills, ball handling, vision, and basketball IQ.

Bayless could be a good point guard, if he stays with in the game. He can learn to be a better point guard, but I don't think he can acquire the talent Jose, and other pass first pg's have/had(Nash, Stockton, M. Jackson, Rubio). Some players have it, and some players don't. I don't like bringing up hockey, but their are certain players much like basketball players, that are just play makers, that see beyond what other players see, Gretzky, Adam Oates, Recchi etc, they had a knack for knowing trends and a where people were going, almost knowing things before they happened. Bayless doesn't have it and probably never will.

Yes he can score, no doubt about that. I think he is a SG, and not a point guard. I think if anyone tried to get 7 assists in the game they could. It's more than just stats, and that's what we have been saying. It's a demeanor, the ability to make players better and feed your team, setting a tempo, calming your team down, and exploiting the defence. Everything Jose does is calculated, trying to move players away from areas to set someone open in their comfort zone. I just don't see this from Bayless.

We won the game and he played well as a PG. That's ONE game so far since he's started that he has been a PG. Let's see if he can build on that. He has his chance to prove that he can play as a PG.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Raptorsss wrote: View Post
    I've been saying all year long..watch him play a full a game and see how good he is. The past three games the guy has produced, end of story! He might be the best 3-point shooter on the team. The guy is a legit future starting PG in the league...
    This "hater" term is so overused around here. We can be critical of a player and not be a "hater". To hate means you've gone beyond the basketball court, it's personal, you're blinded by a negative bias. To be critical on the other hand is to back up your negative view point with actual substance: you see problems, you identify those problems and that's where it ends. Three games isn't enough to silence "the haters", nothing ever will be. Three games also isn't enough to silence people critical of his game, it's too small a window. He's had hot stretches like this in the past. This is nothing new. I want to know where he is the rest of the time.

Thread Information