X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Real Trade Idea - Real Potential Results

In my humble opinion:

Trade 1:

Raptors are rebuilding but there is no need to lose Calderon. We have a number of assets that can be transformed into future stars if we are willing to invest. For example, NO would like to maintain profitability and shed Emeka Okafor. He is an under achieving PF who is owed ~14M/yr through the 2013/2014 season. We have dealt with them before and should be able to trade Barbosa and Carter (Or make a play with Amir) and be within the $58M salary cap. Along with Okafor, we would be receiving their unprotected 2012 draft lottery pick which should be top 3. Depending on what we deal for Okafor (preference is to package Amir) then we will have Okafor to plug the middle until JV arrives next year. That would give us 4 reasonable bigs to work around. That being said, with two lottery picks in the upcoming draft we would be able to target best available. Ideal for me are the following in this order:

1. Andre Drummond or Anthony Davis which ever is available (trade down if we end up with an unlikely 1 and 2 pick)
    I understand that we would have a multitude of bigs, but this would give us flexibility to move any one of them...meaning Davis is a trade asset.

2. Austin Rivers (PG not as SG) This is our future point guard under the direction of Calderon.

3. Perry Jones - A monster 3/4. I prefer him playing the 3, only challenge is then we have limited range.

4. Harrison Barnes

I am not stating that others like Beal would be a poor choice, but this is how I see us building the future. All it takes is spending a little money on a bad contract for Okafor - who honestly would work well in our system under the new coach.

I will post my second idea tomorrow...

Welcome to the boards.
    I hate to burst your bubble, but NO is NOT going to give up their pick, and certainly not just to get some cap relief. However, I wish you were right and that life really were that easy.

Comment

No way the Hornets make this trade! Teams don't give away their draft picks this way. Okafor is actually a good player to have on your team. If they add a Drummond, or Davis, they will have a great front court.

Comment

I have to agree with Saints and Raptorfan.

Just to be clear I think Okafor is in a smiliar position of Calderon. A fairly productive player but is past their prime and is now being overpaid. Would you trade our first round pick to get rid of Calderon's contract? No, he could still be useful to the time, and their is no way in hell I want to lose our pick. This is essentially the same way NO would be viewing this trade.

Comment

Hello wrote: View Post

Just to be clear I think Okafor is in a smiliar position of Calderon. A fairly productive player but is past their prime and is now being overpaid. Would you trade our first round pick to get rid of Calderon's contract? No, he could still be useful to the time, and their is no way in hell I want to lose our pick. This is essentially the same way NO would be viewing this trade.
          Very good point.

I think the idea here is doing something similar to what Cleveland did last year with obtaining Baron Davis from the Clippers. Unfortunately, they are totally different situations.

Comment

cavs got lucky with being able to amnesty davis right away.

Comment

Miekenstien wrote: View Post
              cavs got lucky with being able to amnesty davis right away.
              In the big picture, I don't think it mattered. They could have bought him out without the amnesty and they didn't do anything with the cap space.

Comment

Hello wrote: View Post

We also need to consider that Okafor is entitled to a fairly sizable contract. I agree that the trade needs to provide talent to NO as well so I would frame look at other options considering moving the likes of Ed David in the trade.

I am interested to know who you would consider as a trade partner for the building process.

Comment

Working...
                X