• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jose+Wright to Orlando

http://www.realgm.com/src_checktrade...radeid=5392058

Raptors Trade: Jose Calderon, Antoine Wright
    Orlando Trades: Mickael Pietrus, Brandon Bass, Jason Williams

Why does Orlando do this trade?

The Magic are struggling without a play maker and Jameer Nelson isn't cutting it (neither is Vince lawl). Jose Calderon gives them a player willing to share the ball and create for his teammates, something that Rashard Lewis needs (he's being exposed right now without a play maker in the line up, career lows everywhere). Antoine Wright is sent to off-set the loss of Pietrus, their current 6th man defender. With Jose arriving Jason Williams becomes expendable and the Magic have a much stronger PG rotation with Nelson/Calderon.

Why does Toronto do this trade?

Toronto adds an elite defender in Pietrus, who has been used in defending the league's premiere guards/SFs in Orlando (along with Matt Barnes). His defense will become very valuable come playoff-time. Pietrus is another energy guy off the bench similar to Amir Johnson and is a capable slasher. Bass provides more big-men to the Raptors front court that will also be useful come playoff time. With Reggie's injury up in the air (seriously when is that guy coming back?) Bass gives us another big-man that can bang in the post in the physical playoffs. Finally Jason Williams allows us to keep 3 PGs on the roster (Jack/Banks/Williams), with Banks/Williams bringing two different assets to the table depending on what we need (Banks = defense, Williams = offense). Also Jason's contract expires at the end of the season.

Toronto's lineup:

PG: Jack/Williams/Banks
    SG: Pietrus/Belinelli/DeRozan
    SF: Hedo/DeRozan/Weems
    PF: Bosh/Bass/Johnson
    C: Bargs/Johnson/Rasho

That looks like a very balanced lineup to me. The starting lineup only has Hedo as a below-average defender, and the bench is filled with athleticism and hustle players (Amir, DD, Weems, Bass).

I like what we'd get in retourn but i think this team needs calderon. Pietrus would be a very good piece in terms of defense and wing depht (sixth man inmediatly). but with bass you're getting a very offensive oriented big (that's not what the team needs) with a long a big contract on the books. And with Amir and Evans already on the team, I don't see why we might need him.

A jack for pietrus trade makes much more sense to me, but i don't see the magic doing it either

Comment

That's a big slap in the face of the "all-star" Nelson.

Not saying this isn't interesting, just that Orlando would have Ford/Calderon issues within seconds of Calderon's plane landing.
      The best Raptors discussion board is at Raptors Republic.

Stephen Brotherston, Pro Bball Report

Comment

I like this trade alot. Getting Pietrus and Bass would do wonders for the Raps but I think the only way Orlando does this is if they get Hedo back.
        That would save all Raptor fans from the shit show Hedo puts up each game.
        Hedo's worth in the NBA is still high. The Raps should capitalize while they still can.

Comment

brothersteve wrote: View Post
          That's a big slap in the face of the "all-star" Nelson.

Not saying this isn't interesting, just that Orlando would have Ford/Calderon issues within seconds of Calderon's plane landing.
          Nelson is not an all-star, and it's showing with Hedo out of town. Most guards can stick open jumpers and pass Dwight Howard the ball, but not all guards can create and not all guards are willing to faciiate. And Nelson isn't playing heavy minutes right now anyway, so he may not necessarily pull a "Ford".

In terms of Bass makin Evans redundant, I don't think so Regge is a one-dimensional hustle player. He hustles for rebounds and loose balls and is a liability on offense. Bass brings the hustle, has decent defensive abilities (he was able to cover Antawn Jamison relatively well), and has some offensive game. His contract is not "big", just long.

Bass and Amir Johnson give us the right kind of depth at the front court that we need. With the Celtics built around a physical frontcourt, and Cleveland/Orlando following suit, we also need to be able to bang with the big boys.

Comment

Mickael Pietrus sucks! End of story!

We might as well trade for Joey Graham LOL
            Waiting for DeRozan to windmill dunk in a game!

Comment

Working...
            X