View Poll Results: Should the Raptors Linvest at all costs?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

4 10.81%
  • No

33 89.19%
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Lin to the Raptors a good idea? Lin Raptors Plan B? (168)

Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldnt be opposed to Lin being in a Raptos uniform.
    His turnovers come with the territory. His style is very aggressive. Even Nash and Rondo have 7 or 8 turnover games.

And the fact that he's humble is a plus. A player's personality always translates to his on-court habits.

Raptors Republic Starter Fanchie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with everything you say. I'm just saying that among 30 franchises, one will be weak and do this. Probably a losing one though. And I'm sure no one in the Knicks org saw that Lin frenzy coming. But as a marketing exec, I can tell you that there must have been a lot of high fiving in their offices when they realized what kind of gold nugget they had been about to put in the trash.

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Frankly, as a fans we shouldn't want the team we cheer for to have priorities set to milking gimmicks instead of winning games. Further, if the MLSE board demanded Colangelo sign Lin that's the minute I boycott the team. That's the very same crap which led to the team stinking for most of the last decade and it's the very same crap they promised not to get involved in again. Number crunchers count money, basketball minds make basketball decisions. Deviate and you're headed for major troubles.
    Again, I agree. I would also boycott. And I don't see us doing this. I'm just saying that some franchise might : remember the exposure that drafting Carter brought us... Some small markets know they won't have National TV broadcasting, so they would kill for Intl exposure. But you need a fan fav first.

Raptors Republic Starter minks77's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Lin is a backup, not a starter. Can't run a pick n roll, streaky shooter, terrible defender, crazy TOs and you have to wonder about his success being a product of the "system" and he's terrible under pressure

On the plus side he can get in the paint all day and is pretty crafty.

Someone is going to crazy overpay for him and I pray it's not BCo

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote minks77 wrote: View Post
    Lin is a backup, not a starter. Can't run a pick n roll, streaky shooter, terrible defender, crazy TOs and you have to wonder about his success being a product of the "system" and he's terrible under pressure

Running the Pick 'n' Roll is something Lin actually does quite well.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic Starter minks77's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll admit to only watching a few of the early games but there was a lot of missed plays then, especially when Amare came back and he wasn't able to get anything against the Heat. From what I've seen if he doesn't turn the corner he doesn't do much.

Raptors Republic Superstar ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't want him. We already have Bayless, plus Bayless is a better defender.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Fanchie wrote: View Post
    That is not inappropriate : bottom line is Lin is the starting PG of a sub .500 team, averaging 14.7 pts and 6.3 assists and not ranked any higher than #24 in any individual stat category. If you take this into account, you can claim that he's a younger but less versatile version of Rodney Stuckey (I'm not comparing game style, I'm comparing talent).
    His numbers before he began playing major minutes are moot. He's been averaging 20 and 8 since he began starting. That would place him in the top 5 for assists and top 15 for points.
    Quote minks77 wrote: View Post

He's one of the best defenders on the Knicks.
    Take a look at this:

and this:

http://youtu.be/qlkYuCcY-qk?t=3m49s

Is it Lin's fault that Melo still isn't passing the ball or that STAT is 3 steps slower this year?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Prime wrote: View Post
    His numbers before he began playing major minutes are moot. He's been averaging 20 and 8 since he began starting. That would place him in the top 5 for assists and top 15 for points.
    He's one of the best defenders on the Knicks.
    Take a look at this:

and this:

http://youtu.be/qlkYuCcY-qk?t=3m49s

Is it Lin's fault that Melo still isn't passing the ball or that STAT is 3 steps slower this year?
    Why not include his turnover numbers since Starting as well?
    Pretty sure it would put him #1 in that Cat as well.

Jeremy Lin in Toronto is a TERRIBLE idea.

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Running the Pick 'n' Roll is something Lin actually does quite well.
    Unfortunately, giving the ball away to the other team is also something he does quite well.

If people can't stand watching Bayless put up 11 shots in a night, while shooting over 50% from the field, they will DIE when they watch Lin jack up 18 shots a night and hit 35% of them.
    Last edited by Joey; Thu Mar 15th, 2012 at 02:52 PM.
    "That was Nasty right? Cocked that Joint back and banged on 'em." -James Johnson

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Lin was overrated and linsanity is dead n gone. Notice how when d'antoni leaves the Knicks win by 40 and Lin played like crap. D'antoni didn't know how to handle multiple stars and especially a guy like melo

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
    I don't want him. We already have Bayless, plus Bayless is a better defender.
    True. You put bayless in the same shoes as Lin a couple of weeks back and he'd be baysanity(lame I know)

Raptors Republic Starter charlz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It's a gigantic mistake. He doesn't protect the ball, he's not that fast and he has no proven track record. Are Raptors fans going to enjoy 5 or 6 turnovers per game? Are they going to enjoy watching a fast break PG try and break guys down in a half court setting? ... Jose Calderon is a better defender. The recipe to me tastes like crap.
    +1
    "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

don't let the tiawanese hear you say lin is chinese either. and anyway race doesn't matter, if you can play ball you can play ball. basketball skill does. with respects to lin he brought success to a city that desperately needed it. his organization accepted that success and then went right back to losing. i will be very surprised if the knicks make the playoffs. i will also be very disappointed if they do.

a very good coach saw a way to improve this team and a stubborn owner who has shown to be bullheaded and more rich then smart didnt listen to him. they should have traded melo and went pick and roll with amare and lin/williams.

i don't think any team will take lin until he is either useless bench fodder in new york or shows he is what he looked like. his market value is fucked right now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    Why not include his turnover numbers since Starting as well?
    Pretty sure it would put him #1 in that Cat as well.
    So what's your point?

I see John Wall or DWill turning the ball over just as frequently as he does but Lin still gets all the flak? Remember whose team is actually leading in wins right now.

Post Thanks / Like

So what's your point?

I see John Wall or DWill turning the ball over just as frequently as he does but Lin still gets all the flak? Remember whose team is actually leading in wins right now.
    Not so. Wall and Williams are playing ten extra MPG. If you calculate Lin's TO/min and then multiply the rate by 36MPG(roughly what Wall & Williams play) you'll clearly see he turns the ball over an extra time per game. And that's not even considering the fact that both Wall and Williams outclass Lin in raw talent and athleticism.

Lin isn't qualified to hold D-Will's towel on the sidelines if you want to start comparing them.

Post Thanks / Like

Not so. Wall and Williams are playing ten extra MPG. If you calculate Lin's TO/min and then multiply the rate by 36MPG(roughly what Wall & Williams play) you'll clearly see he turns the ball over an extra time per game.
    You are correct. But just a week ago his TO/g per36 numbers was nearly 6. Considering that Lin hasn't even played half the minutes that Wall or DWill has, it's not a very good sample size to use for extrapolation.

And that's not even considering the fact that both Wall and Williams outclass Lin in raw talent and athleticism.

Lin isn't qualified to hold D-Will's towel on the sidelines if you want to start comparing them.
    But I'm not comparing them based on talent or athleticism.

Post Thanks / Like

You are correct. But just a week ago his TO/g per36 numbers was nearly 6. Considering that Lin hasn't even played half the minutes that Wall or DWill has, it's not a very good sample size to use for extrapolation.
    Ah, then you have no stance what so ever to defend him. That sample size is all there is and if it's not enough to criticize him then it's not enough to endorse him.

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, then you have no stance what so ever to defend him. That sample size is all there is and if it's not enough to criticize him then it's not enough to endorse him.
    Well if you're content with arguing with small sample sizes then I can argue that he only averaged 2.3 TO/g per 36 last season.

Post Thanks / Like

If you're asking me if I want to waste my time then my answer is obvious. Talking about this year isn't a waste of time in my opinion. Anything else is in his circumstances.

Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Fanchie wrote: View Post
    That is not inappropriate : bottom line is Lin is the starting PG of a sub .500 team, averaging 14.7 pts and 6.3 assists and not ranked any higher than #24 in any individual stat category. If you take this into account, you can claim that he's a younger but less versatile version of Rodney Stuckey (I'm not comparing game style, I'm comparing talent).

Would Stuckey have had a sneaker designed for him in 2 weeks ? Would Rookie game rules have been changed to make room for Stuckey ? How many Stuckey articles have you read in your life ? And how many have you seen your friends sharing on Facebook ?

Lin deserves credit for helping the Knicks win several games in a row and winning that starter spot, no doubt about it. But THAT much credit ? To quote what Arse was saying and rephrase it, can you honestly claim that any player would have got that much coverage ? It is not about race as physical disparity, it is about being the only asian-american in the NBA : you have more chance to get noticed, especially in Asia where potential customers are counted in billions...

Lin is good, but he's not worth $[insert the number of millions he'll get on his next contract, whatever it is]M.
    You sound incredibly jaded. This thread has nothing to do with Lin's popularity. At all. It has nothing to do with his shoes or coverage. The OP asked if Lin would be a good fit in Toronto. That's all.
    your pal,
    ebrian

Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

So what's your point?

Dont forget Nash and Rondo. Oh and Westbrook and Durant. Oh and Kobe.
    All these guys are in the Top 20.
    Turnovers come with the territory.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread Information