Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lin to the Raptors a good idea? Lin Raptors Plan B? (168)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The problem with the all-star argument is that lots of point guards play with all-stars. Also, both guys (or at least one?) were out when Lin was leading the Knicks to an 8-1 record.

What it still comes down to is that you can get better value than Lin at $5.8M. We just need to find that guy, because he is currently not on our roster.
    your pal,
    ebrian

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
      The problem with the all-star argument is that lots of point guards play with all-stars. Also, both guys (or at least one?) were out when Lin was leading the Knicks to an 8-1 record.

What it still comes down to is that you can get better value than Lin at $5.8M. We just need to find that guy, because he is currently not on our roster.
      There is no problem with the arguement. I gave you a good example in Kapono. It's on management to sift through the impacts of MDA, Melo and Amare on Lin's game and to determine if he's legit. No one in here can say for sure and I don't think any manager willing to give him full MLE will know for sure by July 1st. Someone will roll the dice and then I'm sure Dolan will match the offer.

Comment

Is Dolan *able* to match *any* offer without Early Bird rights and the Gilbert Arenas Provision?
        your pal,
        ebrian

Comment

Lin is a RFA as far as I know.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
            Lin is a RFA as far as I know.
            Yes he is... this was discussed by various journalists when Linsanity broke. NY can match any offer. The most he can make is the MLE but NY can match it (if they want).

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
              Yes he is... this was discussed by various journalists when Linsanity broke. NY can match any offer. The most he can make is the MLE but NY can match it (if they want).
              But I believe that would mean they lose their MLE to use on any other player. Is this right?

Given their current payroll, outside of the MLE, Birds Rights, and minimum contracts, they aren't going to have much flexibility to sign players. They have $53M alone tied up in Melo, Amar'e, and Chandler for next year.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                But I believe that would mean they lose their MLE to use on any other player. Is this right?

Given their current payroll, outside of the MLE, Birds Rights, and minimum contracts, they aren't going to have much flexibility to sign players. They have $53M alone tied up in Melo, Amar'e, and Chandler for next year.
                Yup that's correct... however I read they can keep Fields (because they'll have his Bird rights) but they'll probably have to give up JR Smith.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                  Yup that's correct... however I read they can keep Fields (because they'll have his Bird rights) but they'll probably have to give up JR Smith.
                  JR is a player option.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post

Their biggest need will be a PG and it would be a PR nightmare to go and bring back a guy like Felton instead after Lin's good half season worth of games.

Comment

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                      Do you even watch basketball? Amar'e is a 6 time nba all star... they are both considered all stars and no matter how bad their season is going the defense is still going to pay much more attention to them than a guy like lin who is at best and average starter.
                      There's a difference in being an All-Star and being a formerAll-Star. You can ask anyone around the league what their opinion of Amar'e is and I'm willing to bet that the majority of them do not consider him a top tier talent anymore.
                      Your obsession with Lin is is blinding you from the truth. If you like lin soo much why don't you go watch the knicks?
                      FYI, I only really watched like 10 minutes of the game last night. The Heat game was much more entertaining to say the least.

I don't need you to tell me how to watch TV, thanks.

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                      It doesn't matter that Carmelo and Amare aren't playing up to their usual standards, they are still very good players and my point is that they are the players that other teams design their defense around. I seriously doubt that any team (aside from when Miami decided to stop Linsanity) actually designs their defense around stopping Lin. Carmelo and Amare are still the focal points, even if it's on reputation alone.
                      Way to state the obvious. How this this different from any other team in the NBA?

For example, the Jazz's most dangerous players are Al Jefferson and Paul Millsap, both of whom having a better season than Amar'e or Melo. It's a no-brainer to conclude that opposing teams design their defense around these two. However, Devin Harris isn't benefiting at all from playing with these two.
                      Players like Novak and JR Smith are good shooters,
                      JR Smith is a very streaky shooter. He's only good when he gets hot, which isn't very often.
                      but also just getting the ball inside to Chandler or to guys like Fields for mid-range jumpers, are easy ways to inflate the stats using 3rd, 4th and 5th offensive options. They are also a great defensive team with Chandler anchoring them down low and when they do force a turnover or get a rebound, the entire team looks to run out on odd-man fast breaks, which gives Lin even more chances for gimme assists.
                      Again, the obvious.
                      Unless we're talking about playing 3v3 streetball every single team in the league has a 3rd, 4th, and 5th option.

Apollo wrote: View Post
                      There is no problem with the arguement. I gave you a good example in Kapono. It's on management to sift through the impacts of MDA, Melo and Amare on Lin's game and to determine if he's legit. No one in here can say for sure and I don't think any manager willing to give him full MLE will know for sure by July 1st. Someone will roll the dice and then I'm sure Dolan will match the offer.
                      One irrelevant example (come on now, since when was Kapono a PG?) does not disprove that statement. The keywords were "most PGs".
                      Last edited by Prime; Wed Mar 21, 2012, 08:44 PM.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                        Not at all. I'm reserving judgement to when I've seen enough. Been saying that from the get go. I'm a skeptic of Lin's current play and I've seen some flags. I'm saying it's not a wise investment to give him full MLE based on what we've seen, it's not enough time.. You don't need to take this personally. We all want a great team to cheer for.
                        No, you've been against Lin from the get go. I was trying to dissuade you on page 2 by showing you how small the sample size was.

What makes you think I'm taking this personally? If anything I love a good debate but so far I haven't seen any quality points from you that would constitute this as such.

Comment

• Prime wrote: View Post
                          There's a difference in being an All-Star and being a formerAll-Star. You can ask anyone around the league what their opinion of Amar'e is and I'm willing to bet that the majority of them do not consider him a top tier talent anymore.

FYI, I only really watched like 10 minutes of the game last night. The Heat game was much more entertaining to say the least.

I don't need you to tell me how to watch TV, thanks.

Way to state the obvious. How this this different from any other team in the NBA?

For example, the Jazz's most dangerous players are Al Jefferson and Paul Millsap, both of whom having a better season than Amar'e or Melo. It's a no-brainer to conclude that opposing teams design their defense around these two. However, Devin Harris isn't benefiting at all from playing with these two.
                          JR Smith is a very streaky shooter. He's only good when he gets hot, which isn't very often. Again, the obvious.
                          Unless we're talking about playing 3v3 streetball every single team in the league has a 3rd, 4th, and 5th option.

One irrelevant example (come on now, since when was Kapono a PG?) does not disprove that statement. The keywords were "most PGs".
                          Amar'e is still considered an all star by many people in the league. They wanted to give other guys a crack at the all star game such as kevin love. He's still an all star regardless of whether he was in it this year or not. The time when a guy is not considered an all star anymore is when he hasn't been in the all star game for more than 2 years.

Comment

• Prime wrote: View Post
                            No, you've been against Lin from the get go. I was trying to dissuade you on page 2 by showing you how small the sample size was.
                            I'm against Lin getting the equivalent of full MLE from the Raptors. I think people are falling in love with the guy far too quickly and are setting themselves up for major disappointment if he doesn't work out long term. I'm not against him being a Raptor but I am against him at the high end prices mentioned in here.

Prime wrote: View Post
                            What makes you think I'm taking this personally? If anything I love a good debate but so far I haven't seen any quality points from you that would constitute this as such.
                            Your main defense of Lin is also my main argument(ie: time). So look in the mirror I guess, we're on even ground here.

Comment

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                              Amar'e is still considered an all star by many people in the league. They wanted to give other guys a crack at the all star game such as kevin love. He's still an all star regardless of whether he was in it this year or not. The time when a guy is not considered an all star anymore is when he hasn't been in the all star game for more than 2 years.
                              Making up our own definitions, are we?

Comment

• no its just how most people view it

Comment

Working...
                                X