Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lin to the Raptors a good idea? Lin Raptors Plan B? (168)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lin to the Raptors a good idea? Lin Raptors Plan B? (168)

Carmelo goes down. Jeremy emerges out of nowhere and propels the Knicks to .500. He shows that he can be a quality, balanced pg in the NBA, especially with some good coaching and development.

Anthony comes back, no chemistry with Lin; doesn't want to share the spotlight; doesn't want D'Antoni's ball sharing system...D'Antoni quits.

Now, it seems obvious that there's no cohesion between Lin and Anthony, both stylewise and in terms of vision. It's obvious there's no room for both.

The question is, should Toronto look at acquiring Lin.? If so, how could we make that happen?
    Yes
    10.81%
    No
    89.19%

The poll is expired.

Pele wrote: View Post
    Carmelo goes down. Jeremy emerges out of nowhere and propels the Knicks to .500. He shows that he can be a quality, balanced pg in the NBA, especially with some good coaching and development.

Anthony comes back, no chemistry with Lin; doesn't want to share the spotlight; doesn't want D'Antoni's ball sharing system...D'Antoni quits.

Now, it seems obvious that there's no cohesion between Lin and Anthony, both stylewise and in terms of vision. It's obvious there's no room for both.

The question is, should Toronto look at acquiring Lin.? If so, how could we make that happen?
    Free agency.

Comment

It's a gigantic mistake. He doesn't protect the ball, he's not that fast and he has no proven track record. Are Raptors fans going to enjoy 5 or 6 turnovers per game? Are they going to enjoy watching a fast break PG try and break guys down in a half court setting? ... Jose Calderon is a better defender. The recipe to me tastes like crap.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
        It's a gigantic mistake. He doesn't protect the ball, he's not that fast and he has no proven track record. Are Raptors fans going to enjoy 5 or 6 turnovers per game? Are they going to enjoy watching a fast break PG try and break guys down in a half court setting? Jose Calderon is a better defender. The recipe to me tastes like crap.
        Oh yeah, I should have answered the first question in original post:

"... should Toronto look at acquiring Lin?"

To start? Definitely not.
        To backup? Maybe but I would imagine his asking price is now overly inflated.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
          To start? Definitely not.
          To backup? Maybe but I would imagine his asking price is now overly inflated.
          I was assuming both these were givens but I should have mentioned them in my post. A good article I posted on the NBA board:

http://raptorsrepublic.com/forums/sh...867#post118867

See post #76.

Comment

If Lin was a black guy named DeShawn and had the exact same skill/talent as Lin, would it be a good idea? There's your answer.

Comment

Arsenalist wrote: View Post
              If Lin was a black guy named DeShawn and had the exact same skill/talent as Lin, would it be a good idea? There's your answer.
              Not sure how race comes into this. He has Rafer Alston disappointment and stupid contract written all over him... And at least with Skip he was proven to be able to ball in multiple systems. Lin has only done it for a short time in a system known for inflating PG stats. The rest of the season will tell a lot now that MDA is out. Game one saw Lin drop 6 turnovers in 22 minutes.

Comment

he averaged 8 assists and 5 turnovers in Feb., in March he is averaging 7assists and 4 turnovers. Are we playing a system them would accentuate his skills? Based on his track record, I'd rather wait till the end of the season to see a larger sample size.

The key thing about feb is that he was winning. That's what counts. I would definitely say he is good enough to play on the Raptors, but I don;t know in what capacity yet.

Arsenalist, that was a bit of ass move to big race into it. Those kind of accusations shouldn't be passed around lightly. I expected more from someone who is a main contributor to this site.

Comment

saints91 wrote: View Post
                  Arsenalist, that was a bit of ass move to big race into it. Those kind of accusations shouldn't be passed around lightly. I expected more from someone who is a main contributor to this site.
                  Yea, I was shocked by the comment he made. Wow. Either Floyd Mayweather hacked into Arsenalist's account, or man, wow. That's so wrong and inappropriate.
                  your pal,
                  ebrian

Comment

Although the high turnovers scare me, I'm somewhat intrigued by Lin. I'm not sure if he's the "PG of the future" type, but how many other inexperienced PGs could've stepped in under those circumstances and thrived the way he did? I doubt there are many at all.

This speaks more about Lin's mental ability, than his physical skills.

Comment

saints91 wrote: View Post
                      The key thing about feb is that he was winning. That's what counts. I would definitely say he is good enough to play on the Raptors, but I don;t know in what capacity yet.
                      I'm not against him playing for Toronto. I just feel that now they would have to pay far too much to get him. You can't fairly assess him solely under D'Antoni. This is why now, under Mike Woodson we should glean a lot more intelligence on his game at the pro level. Could all those teams who failed to draft him or who cut him be wrong about the guy? I don't know but under Mike Woodson he's going to be playing under a system more typical to the NBA, more typical to what he would see in Toronto. D'Anotoni is a rarity, and anyone looking to sign Lin needs consider his impact on Lin, the impact he's has on past PGs and where they're at right now. *Hint: Start with Duhon and Felton.

Comment

I think that in a convoluted way perhaps Arsenalist was trying to project that there is more to the Lin phenomena/popularity than just his basketball skills. I hear that there is at least one store in MSG exclusively selling Lin paraphernalia. And dont underestimate his value to developing the China market for the NBA. And which better place to be in than NYC. Both Dolan & Stern will be loathe to see him leave. Of course his play will have to keep pace and as others have noted that once the traditional (and playoff staple) half court game becomes the system his flaws will be further magnified.

Comment

To sum up something I had already posted, Lin's Knicks went 8-1 against primarily non playoff teams. The Melo-Lin mix went 2-8 against primarily solid playoff teams. The post D'Antoni Knicks beat the dysfunctional (again) Blazers. The Lin Knicks aren't great. The Melo Knicks don't suck. The Knicks are a .500 team.

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
                            Yea, I was shocked by the comment he made. Wow. Either Floyd Mayweather hacked into Arsenalist's account, or man, wow. That's so wrong and inappropriate.
                            That is not inappropriate : bottom line is Lin is the starting PG of a sub .500 team, averaging 14.7 pts and 6.3 assists and not ranked any higher than #24 in any individual stat category. If you take this into account, you can claim that he's a younger but less versatile version of Rodney Stuckey (I'm not comparing game style, I'm comparing talent).

Would Stuckey have had a sneaker designed for him in 2 weeks ? Would Rookie game rules have been changed to make room for Stuckey ? How many Stuckey articles have you read in your life ? And how many have you seen your friends sharing on Facebook ?

Lin deserves credit for helping the Knicks win several games in a row and winning that starter spot, no doubt about it. But THAT much credit ? To quote what Arse was saying and rephrase it, can you honestly claim that any player would have got that much coverage ? It is not about race as physical disparity, it is about being the only asian-american in the NBA : you have more chance to get noticed, especially in Asia where potential customers are counted in billions...

Lin is good, but he's not worth $[insert the number of millions he'll get on his next contract, whatever it is]M.

Comment

No. Cut it out right now. Terrible idea. Terrible.

Comment

Working...
                              X