Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lin to the Raptors a good idea? Lin Raptors Plan B? (168)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I agree with Apollo. If Colangelo is truly interested in Lin, the only thing he should be concerned with is Lin's fit as a basketball player, not as a poster boy.

If he thinks Lin makes sense on the court, sign him. But not for any other reason.

Comment

• I also find it amusing that the article makes it seem like Lin is the next Rose. I like a good story and admire the kids effort etc. but it is not like he is an elite guard. He had some great games and moments but has also been cut by several teams, is a turn over machine etc. The type of hype that gets a guy a burdon of a contract with sky high expectations. I like him and hope he is able to deliver but to suggest that he is above playing in Canada because of his 20 game pedigree is a bit ridiculous.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
        It's a gigantic mistake. He doesn't protect the ball, he's not that fast and he has no proven track record. Are Raptors fans going to enjoy 5 or 6 turnovers per game? Are they going to enjoy watching a fast break PG try and break guys down in a half court setting? ... Jose Calderon is a better defender. The recipe to me tastes like crap.
        +1

Excellent observations

Comment

• Typical small minded, small market hack who doesn't know jack. He has an "impressive" list of accomplishments for someone who has so much trouble with sentence structure and the use of past tense. Seems being semi literate with an asshole opinion is all you need to get into a second rate college communications course in the great state of Pennsylvania.

But on a total BBAll fan level? He has "Kobe" as the answer to the question "Jordan or Russell?" and Vincent Lamar Carter in his list of favourite athletes. Nuff said. Young man don't know d¡ck.
          LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

• sleepz wrote: View Post
            +1

Excellent observations
            +1 again..plus jose is a better shooter hands down.

But let's forget the rational reasons why we shouldn't do it (and the reasons are endless). For some reason, I knew we would be talking about this the day he started playing well. The only reason why anyone cared about him was because he was doing this in New York. I cannot remember the last time I have seen something more overhyped

Does anyone not remember when Joey Graham put together a great stretch for 15 games that propelled us into the playoffs a while back? No one gave a sh*t even though sucked for most of his career (and still does).

Its the same thing as the Willis Reed story. We hear that all the time, even though Kevin McHale played some games on a broken foot for the Celtics. New York controls more of the media than anyone else, and that is why people think what Jeremy Lin did was a big deal. But if someone spent the time I am positive that you could find dozens of players who have played well for 7 games in a row.

Let's stop with this BS and try to win some basketball games

Comment

• BallaBalla wrote: View Post
              +1 again..plus jose is a better shooter hands down.

But let's forget the rational reasons why we shouldn't do it (and the reasons are endless). For some reason, I knew we would be talking about this the day he started playing well. The only reason why anyone cared about him was because he was doing this in New York. I cannot remember the last time I have seen something more overhyped

Does anyone not remember when Joey Graham put together a great stretch for 15 games that propelled us into the playoffs a while back? No one gave a sh*t even though sucked for most of his career (and still does).

Its the same thing as the Willis Reed story. We hear that all the time, even though Kevin McHale played some games on a broken foot for the Celtics. New York controls more of the media than anyone else, and that is why people think what Jeremy Lin did was a big deal. But if someone spent the time I am positive that you could find dozens of players who have played well for 7 games in a row.

Let's stop with this BS and try to win some basketball games
              I don't agree with the Joey Graham comparisons. Yes, Graham did put together a good stretch of games for us, but he didn't single-handedly win games for a team that had trouble winning games without him. Big difference.

IMO, Lin's 2 week stretch of play was more important/noteworthy than Bargnani's 13-game stretch, because the Knicks were actually winning games.

Lin definitely has holes in his game, but he's still young, and has the basketball IQ (as well as academic IQ, lol) to figure things out. I'm not necessarily advocating overpaying for his services in Toronto, but I'm simply speaking against the notion that his 15 minutes of fame is up. He's going to be a good PG in this league, provided that he's treated like a project.
              Last edited by Nilanka; Tue May 15, 2012, 03:38 PM.

Comment

• The Institute of Stupid

Guys, he followed the U.S. media template the way he was taught:
                • Always slurp the big markets.
                • Hype the shit out of the story so it get hits and if you're wrong, who cares? It's not like you're going to remind anyone about it. Accountability and integrity are not part of the curriculum. Forget those terms.
                • Destroy anything foreign mentioned in the story. Cite hearsay, don't name names and what ever you do, don't and I repeat don't check the facts. If you're doing a television broadcast be sure to act smug when this particular topic comes up; acting smug gives you an air tight case, use it liberally.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                  I don't agree with the Joey Graham comparisons. Yes, Graham did put together a good stretch of games for us, but he didn't single-handedly win games for a team that had trouble winning games without him. Big difference.

IMO, Lin's 2 week stretch of play was more important/noteworthy than Bargnani's 13-game stretch, because the Knicks were actually winning games.

Lin definitely has holes in his game, but he's still young, and has the basketball IQ (as well as academic IQ, lol) to figure things out. I'm not necessarily advocating overpaying for his services in Toronto, but I'm simply speaking against the notion that his 15 minutes of fame is up. He's going to be a good PG in this league, provided that he's treated like a project.
                  But as I've pointed out, Bayless actually proved a more effective play maker than Lin.
                  Not to mention, Bayless had a GREAT stretch of games this season as Starting PG; games which we won a handful of, if I'm not mistaken.
                  He's going to be a good PG in this league, provided he's treated like a project.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                    This isn't Yahoo. It is Bleacher Report. Enough said.
                    Yes I now realize that. Feel free to remove. Enough said. Sorry thought it was news worth reporting. Now I know! Peace

Comment

• theycallmeZZ wrote: View Post
                      Don't forget that this year yielded their first playoff win since 2001. Longest playoff losing streak in NBA history.
                      Yeah, and Lin was not part of that!

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                        But as I've pointed out, Bayless actually proved a more effective play maker than Lin.
                        Not to mention, Bayless had a GREAT stretch of games this season as Starting PG; games which we won a handful of, if I'm not mistaken.
                        He's going to be a good PG in this league, provided he's treated like a project.
                        I've seen enough of Bayless over the past 2 seasons to know that "quarterbacking" does not come natural to him. He did put up decent assist numbers during a stretch, but I still can't say with any confidence that he was getting players the ball in the best position to score. He's not a natural PG, and I don't believe there are any numbers that would convince me otherwise.

As for Lin, I've seen far fewer of his games compared to Bayless, so I admit this isn't a fair assessment. But from I have seen of Lin, he is a natural PG.

Comment

• Stahmenah_Vybz wrote: View Post
                          Yes I now realize that. Feel free to remove. Enough said. Sorry thought it was news worth reporting. Now I know! Peace
                          No worries. It is still a good article to show the ignorance the Raptors face as a franchise. Luckily a lot of people, outside Toronto and its fans, know the difference.

Comment

I've seen enough of Bayless over the past 2 seasons to know that "quarterbacking" does not come natural to him. He did put up decent assist numbers during a stretch, but I still can't say with any confidence that he was getting players the ball in the best position to score. He's not a natural PG, and I don't believe there are any numbers that would convince me otherwise....
                            No one has been harder on Bayless than myself (well...actually some real mean guys have) but he showed me that it is possible he could learn to play the PG position as a team quarterback, as opposed to simply a high scoring player who also has the job of bringing the ball down the floor after the team inbounds.

I saw good assist numbers that were actually well placed assists. All I needed to see was the ability to do it. I believe Casey can provide the impetus to get him to continue in that manner, if that is what Casey wants (and the team needs) out of him. I feel much better about keeping him into next season and on. Which gives the Raps more flexibility, which is what they need moving on into the next couple of seasons.

Comment

I've seen enough of Bayless over the past 2 seasons to know that "quarterbacking" does not come natural to him. He did put up decent assist numbers during a stretch, but I still can't say with any confidence that he was getting players the ball in the best position to score. He's not a natural PG, and I don't believe there are any numbers that would convince me otherwise.

As for Lin, I've seen far fewer of his games compared to Bayless, so I admit this isn't a fair assessment. But from I have seen of Lin, he is a natural PG.
                              He didn't put up nice assists over a stretch; over the whole season, Bayless was a more effecient 'Quarterback' than Jeremy Lin.

And with the amount of shots Lin took, and turnovers he gave away, I wouldn't say he's really 'Pass First' or a 'Natural' PG.

Natural Point Guards don't turn the ball over 10 times a game.
                              Last edited by Joey; Tue May 15, 2012, 05:56 PM.

Comment

• I wouldn't want either Lin or Bayless on the team next year... however if I had to choose between the two, I'd pick Lin and the only reason would be because I want my PG to be good at the pick and roll - and IMO, Lin is far superior at that then Bayless is.

Comment

Working...
                                X