Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lin to the Raptors a good idea? Lin Raptors Plan B? (168)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• you should compare our rosters because Jay Bay is a drive and kick PG like Sessions. He needs guys to cut and spot up for 3 and we barely have any players that do that. Right now the talent between the Raptors and Knicks is significantly different with the Knicks having more. Next Season, if Bayless is retained, we'll have more talent and, as dwane casey stated, a fast paced offense. I'd rather bayless run a fast run and gun offense because he fast as shit and he can run with the best of em.

Comment

• I would look at getting Lin but not at all costs!!!! It would be very good for marketing with all the asian people in Toronto. I remember going to the Raptor game when New York was playing and I couldn't believe the number of people who were there just to cheer for Lin and not there to cheer for the Raptor's. Can you imagine if he was playing for the Raptor's what an attendence there would be cheering for both Lin and the Raptor's!!!

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
        I don't agree with the Joey Graham comparisons. Yes, Graham did put together a good stretch of games for us, but he didn't single-handedly win games for a team that had trouble winning games without him. Big difference.

IMO, Lin's 2 week stretch of play was more important/noteworthy than Bargnani's 13-game stretch, because the Knicks were actually winning games.

Lin definitely has holes in his game, but he's still young, and has the basketball IQ (as well as academic IQ, lol) to figure things out. I'm not necessarily advocating overpaying for his services in Toronto, but I'm simply speaking against the notion that his 15 minutes of fame is up. He's going to be a good PG in this league, provided that he's treated like a project.
        I'm sorry I just don't agree. Joey Graham was averaging a double double in more meaningful games that had playoff implications. But nevertheless, the point is whether or not the hype was justified and why Joey Graham's stretch, or anyone else's for that matter, isn't as famous. Jeremy Lin is just another guy, but he plays for the Knicks so he became a story. Joey Graham played for the raptors and that's why he didn't. Pretending that this does not have to do with the media is completely unjustifiable.

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
          He didn't put up nice assists over a stretch; over the whole season, Bayless was a more effecient 'Quarterback' than Jeremy Lin.

And with the amount of shots Lin took, and turnovers he gave away, I wouldn't say he's really 'Pass First' or a 'Natural' PG.

Natural Point Guards don't turn the ball over 10 times a game.
          You're grossly exaggerating Lin's turnovers. In the last 26 games he played (all over 22 minutes of court time), Lin averaged 4.5 turnovers per game.

Lin took shots because he had to. He wouldn't be jacking up that many shots under normal circumstances. But when your best teammate is Landry Fields, taking 20 shots isn't exactly a problem....especially when it results in wins.

Bayless is not a point guard, period. Casey knows it. Colangelo knows it. The only one who doesn't realize it, is Bayless.

Comment

• BallaBalla wrote: View Post
            I'm sorry I just don't agree. Joey Graham was averaging a double double in more meaningful games that had playoff implications. But nevertheless, the point is whether or not the hype was justified and why Joey Graham's stretch, or anyone else's for that matter, isn't as famous. Jeremy Lin is just another guy, but he plays for the Knicks so he became a story. Joey Graham played for the raptors and that's why he didn't. Pretending that this does not have to do with the media is completely unjustifiable.
            Sure, the NY media had something to do with it. But it's not the sole reason, or even the biggest reason. An unknown player single-handedly leading his shitty team to improbable wins, and doing so multiple times, is a big story on it's own merit.

Joey Graham was a bench player putting up double-doubles during his good "stretch". And if he didn't, the Raptors would've been perfectly fine without him. Graham was still the 5th option on the floor (at best). His 7-8 game run was literally meaningless, especially considering it came after 3.5 years of ineptitude. Management wasn't talking about re-signing Graham at all costs following that season, and there certainly weren't any other teams willing to make aggressive offers for his services.

Like I said, not an accurate comparison at all.

Comment

You're grossly exaggerating Lin's turnovers. In the last 26 games he played (all over 22 minutes of court time), Lin averaged 4.5 turnovers per game.
              Lol 4.5 TOPG would lead the League by a decent margin, Nilanka. Not a good start.
              I'm not exaggerating at all. He turned it over ALOT.

He played an average of 26MPG, 136th in the League, and still managed to crack the Top 7 in Turnovers. Thats BAD.

Lin took shots because he had to. He wouldn't be jacking up that many shots under normal circumstances. But when your best teammate is Landry Fields, taking 20 shots isn't exactly a problem....especially when it results in wins.
              There were games where he was taking 17 and 18 shots WITH Carmelo and Amare in the Lineup.

And once again, Bayless, played UNREAL as a PG, for a solid stretch of games, led us to wins against some solid teams ... and he's still not a PG? Odd.

Bayless is not a point guard, period. Casey knows it. Colangelo knows it. The only one who doesn't realize it, is Bayless.
              And me.

And I'll point it out again. Bayless managed a better Assist/TO ratio than Lin, which to me, IS the measurement of a Point Guard.

Comment

And I'll point it out again. Bayless managed a better Assist/TO ratio than Lin, which to me, IS the measurement of a Point Guard.

so if a SG averages 3 assists and 1 turnover a game he is a PG now?
                For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• Per 36 minutes last year Lin was close to 5 TO/game. Raptors fans will lose their mind within a year of this guy starting after watching the ultra conservative and protective Jose Calderon for all these years. Half the fan base couldn't stand watching T.J. Ford's risks with the basketball. They aint seen nothing yet if Lin ends up here.

Comment

• thead wrote: View Post
                    Not at all.
                    It shows me that he is not forcing the issue and making bad decisions, to the detriment of his team.

Bayless spent ALOT of time at PG and played well. Guys can try and say he's not a PG, but if you're going to give me the whole "Lin is a Project, and Young and etc etc.", then its a little hypocritical to not afford the same luxury to Bayless.
                    (They're the same age)

thead wrote: View Post
                    So if a PG puts up 20 shots, 10 assists and 10 turnovers, does it still make him a True PG because he put up 10 assists?

Comment

• Joey, the difference is Bayless plays in Canada and so American media don't give him any credit. If Bayless was starting for the Knicks and getting 26MPG there would be arguments on whether he's worth $7M/yr. It is what it is. For what Bayless will earn for his talent he will be at a great discount in comparison to Lin. That's not saying a whole lot when people are talking about back loaded deals of $10M/yr for Lin.

Comment

Lol 4.5 TOPG would lead the League by a decent margin, Nilanka. Not a good start.
                        I'm not exaggerating at all. He turned it over ALOT.

He played an average of 26MPG, 136th in the League, and still managed to crack the Top 7 in Turnovers. Thats BAD.

There were games where he was taking 17 and 18 shots WITH Carmelo and Amare in the Lineup.

And once again, Bayless, played UNREAL as a PG, for a solid stretch of games, led us to wins against some solid teams ... and he's still not a PG? Odd.

And me.

The assist:turnover ratio is an overrated/misused stat. Nobody even knew what it was before Calderon started excelling in it. And he's far from the best PG in the league. Matt Bonner was #3 in A:TO ratio this year. Other guys in the top 10? Lou Williams, Andre Iguodala and Beno Udrih. If you're looking for a single statistical measure of PG play, I don't know if A:TO is your best option.

Yes, 4.5 turnovers is a lot, but is it that far ahead of Deron Williams' 4.0, or John Wall's 3.9, or Kevin Durant's 3.8? And it's a lot less than the "10" you quoted (hence the exaggeration).

Lin has played a mere 64 games in his NBA career. He's a newborn baby by NBA standards (covered in gross after-birth with the umbilical cord still attached). The assumption is that he'll cut down his turnovers in due time.

If Bayless is retained, it'll be because Barbosa was unavailable (as a scoring option off the bench). After all, Colangelo wouldn't go on the air saying that he needs a PG if he honestly thought Bayless was the guy.

Comment

Lin has played a mere 64 games in his NBA career. He's a newborn baby by NBA standards (covered in gross after-birth with the umbilical cord still attached).
                          No doubt and people are suggesting the Raptors should give him $20M in the final two years on a contract. Two full MLE years in the beginning of the contract. All this based on 64 career games after he went undrafted and was cut like four times. Where are all the Lin supporters going to be in three years if the Raptors do this bone head deal? Pushing him and Colangelo under the bus is my guess.

Comment

Yes, 4.5 turnovers is a lot, but is it that far ahead of Deron Williams' 4.0, or John Wall's 3.9, or Kevin Durant's 3.8?
                            Over an 82 game schedule, beating these guys by .5 TOPG would result in an extra 41 TO's. Thats quite a few if you ask me.

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                            And it's a lot less than the "10" you quoted (hence the exaggeration).
                            Sorry, when I said 10 Turnovers, I meant to say 8 (Feb 6th), 8 (Feb 14th), 9 (Feb 17th), 7 (Feb 19th), 9 (Feb 23rd).

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                              No doubt and people are suggesting the Raptors should give him $20M in the final two years on a contract. Two full MLE years in the beginning of the contract. All this based on 64 career games after he went undrafted and was cut like four times. Where are all the Lin supporters going to be in three years if the Raptors do this bone head deal? Pushing him and Colangelo under the bus is my guess.
                              Personally, I don't want Colangelo to overspend on Lin either. I wasn't trying to make any claims about Lin's monetary value. I was just saying that I think he'll be a good PG in this league, and a better one than Bayless.

Comment

• Bayless has all the tools to be much better than Lin. Lin is overhyped nothing more

Comment

Working...
                                X