Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lin to the Raptors a good idea? Lin Raptors Plan B? (168)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bendit wrote: View Post
    Am afraid that Lin's real value right now lies more in his international marketing possibilities.
    Great point Bendit. This has obviously been over looked.

Any team that forks over $10M a year for Lin, will likely make that back 5x in Jersey sales alone.

But is it worth the hit to the cap (and ultimately the team) to make those Jersey sales.

Comment

• So you're saying the Raptors will make $50M/yr on Lin jersey sales. Do we know how the league shares jersey sale revenues? That would be the first step to making such a statement. And sorry if this is a case of it being well known and me just being ignorant to it but I have no clue how the league allocates jersey revenues. Someone please explain.

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
        Great point Bendit. This has obviously been over looked.

Any team that forks over $10M a year for Lin, will likely make that back 5x in Jersey sales alone.

But is it worth the hit to the cap (and ultimately the team) to make those Jersey sales.
        Lin would provide more value to this team than simply jersey sales. I mean, if it were that easy to be a "pseudo" star player, on one of basketball's biggest stages, for a stretch of 3 weeks, I'm sure we'd see more Lin-like stories from year to year. But when was the last time we saw any unknown young player take over a team...and more importantly...lead his team to victory the way Lin did? You can't fake that kind of performance. Lin's got game. And with time, I'm sure he'd become a better decision-maker and cut down those turnovers.

Do I want the Raptors to take that chance? I'm not so sure. But I wouldn't be terribly disappointed if it happened.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
          Lin would provide more value to this team than simply jersey sales. I mean, if it were that easy to be a "pseudo" star player, on one of basketball's biggest stages, for a stretch of 3 weeks, I'm sure we'd see more Lin-like stories from year to year. But when was the last time we saw any unknown young player take over a team...and more importantly...lead his team to victory the way Lin did? You can't fake that kind of performance. Lin's got game. And with time, I'm sure he'd become a better decision-maker and cut down those turnovers.

Do I want the Raptors to take that chance? I'm not so sure. But I wouldn't be terribly disappointed if it happened.
          Well I as stated already, in my opinion, Bayless has shown just as much as Lin has to deserve any sort of REAL contract.

But no, I don't want a guy whos going to turn it over 10 times a game to be on my team.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
            So you're saying the Raptors will make $50M/yr on Lin jersey sales. Do we know how the league shares jersey sale revenues? That would be the first step to making such a statement. And sorry if this is a case of it being well known and me just being ignorant to it but I have no clue how the league allocates jersey revenues. Someone please explain.
            If I'm not mistaken, (and I very easily could be) if jersey sales are made within the Teams immediate locale (Raptors includes all of Canada), that team gets to keep 100% of revenue.
            If the sale is made outside of your core area, the revenues shared /split equally amongst all teams.

Either, my point should not have been misinterpreted to believe I want Lin on the team. I do not.

Comment

• Sign him his cap hit is 5 mil for the first two years while he plays with or behind Steve Nash or Jason Kidd
              For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                If I'm not mistaken, (and I very easily could be) if jersey sales are made within the Teams immediate locale (Raptors includes all of Canada), that team gets to keep 100% of revenue.
                If the sale is made outside of your core area, the revenues shared /split equally amongst all teams.

Either, my point should not have been misinterpreted to believe I want Lin on the team. I do not.
                Does the team pay for manufacturing, shipping, and other expenses? That would bring down their income from jersey sales. I don't know how significant that would be...

I'm just trying to understand if the idea of Lin significantly boosting a team's net income is myth or real. I realize he's popular and I've read this idea about Lin's impact on a team's income statement in many places but I'd love to see a writer actually quantify his impact as oppose to just merely throwing the claim out there while offering nothing to back it up.

Comment

• 10% of the GTA population is Chinese...he was treated as a super-star when he was in Toronto. He could end up, being the worst player on the team, but get the largest marketing money in Canada.
                  -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
                  -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

• So the team starts making moves to capitalize on gimmicks that increase profits for certain in the short term. How does that help we the fans? The team is already profitable with no risk of going anywhere.

We also need to ask ourselves why was Colangelo in the hot seat last season? Was it due to how the club's finances were or was it due to the clubs on court performance? After that one is answered, the next question should be: What must Colangelo do to secure an extension? The answer to that question should tell you what one of his primary objectives will be entering the 2012 free agency period.

Comment

• nash deserves better than the quitters on the knicks.
                      in masai we trust

water covers 98% of the earth, Mitchell Robinson covers the other 2%

Comment

• Who is MLSE' business manager. That is the guy that determines whay Colangelo's goals are. Having said that, would Bryan be okay working as GM of a ball club is his boss told him, "I don't care about results. I want you to fins players who will fill the seats and sell jersey."

I think Bryco can get a GM's job in other jurisdictions where they want a winning ball club and he won't be told what to do.

Comment

• The board and I'm sure the message was basically "produce something positive or it's your ass".

One of the conditions of him coming here was that the board would be hands off. I think the board is very aware of the poor reputation they gave the team during the days where they decided to be hands on.

Comment

• Toronto will be in direct competition with the Knicks for Steve Nash. But Nash is expected to look to sign with a bona fide contender, and the Knicks and Raptors don't fit that description. The Raptors are also a potential landing spot for Jeremy Lin. They like him and what he'd do for their attendance, but Toronto would have to "back-load" an offer to the restricted free agent, paying him gazillions in the final couple of years of a deal, and hope that the Knicks would not match. According to league sources, that's what the Raptors just might do if their Nash plan falls through. But considering that the Knicks have no other viable options at point guard, and Lin has been nothing short of a marketing dream, they're seen as a lock to match any offer.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...#ixzz1ukOj4CKd
                            From a New York rag.... grain of salt needed.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                              From a New York rag.... grain of salt needed.
                              I am thinking two things here. The first is if I think Lin is more than a flash in the pan and if he can be a starting PG in the NBA for years to come. The second, Should we make an offer to Lin to make sure that the Knicks pay up for him and use some extra cap space.

He was Dynamic for a stretch, but his shooting numbers were not great and he was very turnover prone, but for a guy who had very little NBA experience it was to be expected. I am really torn over this guy, he has nice size, decent athleticism, good passing instincts, and a jumper that can get better, just not sure if he is more than Bayless or not.
                              Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• WJF wrote: View Post
                                I am thinking two things here. The first is if I think Lin is more than a flash in the pan and if he can be a starting PG in the NBA for years to come. The second, Should we make an offer to Lin to make sure that the Knicks pay up for him and use some extra cap space.

He was Dynamic for a stretch, but his shooting numbers were not great and he was very turnover prone, but for a guy who had very little NBA experience it was to be expected. I am really torn over this guy, he has nice size, decent athleticism, good passing instincts, and a jumper that can get better, just not sure if he is more than Bayless or not.
                                I think Lin's career will be average when it all works itself out. I could be wrong, and most likely I am - just my opinion.

However regarding the Knicks roster this is where things get funny with the New York rags. All these rumours of so-and-so playing in NY are nonsense. The Knicks only have 2 ways to add players: mid-level exception or veteran players on minimum contracts. If the Knicks sign any player using the mid-level (or a portion of it) then they can immediately be outbid by another team for Lin and will not have the ability to match an offer thereby losing him. They do not have Bird Rights in this case. So the Knicks are handcuffed to minimum contracts until the Lin situation plays out - and that includes Steve Novak and JR Smith as they don't have Bird Rights either.

So knowing that any talk of Nash to the Knicks is ludicrous unless he was lying or has a change of heart on playing for less than his market value.

Comment

Working...
                                X