Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lin to the Raptors a good idea? Lin Raptors Plan B? (168)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I think Lin's career will be average when it all works itself out. I could be wrong, and most likely I am - just my opinion.

However regarding the Knicks roster this is where things get funny with the New York rags. All these rumours of so-and-so playing in NY are nonsense. The Knicks only have 2 ways to add players: mid-level exception or veteran players on minimum contracts. If the Knicks sign any player using the mid-level (or a portion of it) then they can immediately be outbid by another team for Lin and will not have the ability to match an offer thereby losing him. They do not have Bird Rights in this case. So the Knicks are handcuffed to minimum contracts until the Lin situation plays out - and that includes Steve Novak and JR Smith as they don't have Bird Rights either.

So knowing that any talk of Nash to the Knicks is ludicrous unless he was lying or has a change of heart on playing for less than his market value.
    I agree that Lin will have an average career as well, but there is that little bit of a window that could see him having a career like Jameer Nelson, a little better than average, but not an all star...would this be good enough with the way our roster is heading, I don't know.
    Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
      I think Lin's career will be average when it all works itself out. I could be wrong, and most likely I am - just my opinion.

However regarding the Knicks roster this is where things get funny with the New York rags. All these rumours of so-and-so playing in NY are nonsense. The Knicks only have 2 ways to add players: mid-level exception or veteran players on minimum contracts. If the Knicks sign any player using the mid-level (or a portion of it) then they can immediately be outbid by another team for Lin and will not have the ability to match an offer thereby losing him. They do not have Bird Rights in this case. So the Knicks are handcuffed to minimum contracts until the Lin situation plays out - and that includes Steve Novak and JR Smith as they don't have Bird Rights either.

So knowing that any talk of Nash to the Knicks is ludicrous unless he was lying or has a change of heart on playing for less than his market value.
      I agree that Lin will have an average career as well, but there is that little bit of a window that could see him having a career like Jameer Nelson, a little better than average, but not an all star...would this be good enough with the way our roster is heading, I don't know.
      Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• Jeremy Lin is Plan B

Toronto will be in direct competition with the Knicks for Steve Nash. But Nash is expected to look to sign with a bona fide contender, and the Knicks and Raptors don't fit that description. The Raptors are also a potential landing spot for Jeremy Lin. They like him and what he'd do for their attendance, but Toronto would have to "back-load" an offer to the restricted free agent, paying him gazillions in the final couple of years of a deal, and hope that the Knicks would not match. According to league sources, that's what the Raptors just might do if their Nash plan falls through. But considering that the Knicks have no other viable options at point guard, and Lin has been nothing short of a marketing dream, they're seen as a lock to match any offer.
        Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...#ixzz1umzRY8oH

How would you guys feel about Lin in Toronto?

Comment

• LeetGoose wrote: View Post
          Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...#ixzz1umzRY8oH

How would you guys feel about Lin in Toronto?
          I would ask my fellow Raptors Republic forumers to consider the following.

1.) The first two years of any potential deal he signs is 5 million per year....

2.) He will be playing behind Jose Calderon (best assist to T/O ratio in the league(which is Lin's weakness))

3.) He might be playing behind Steve Nash (Another apt mentor) if we sign him

4.) The way he performed in both his breakout and subsequently was amazing considering he didn't have a great college program to fall back on, he was bounced around and cut several times.

He is a legitimate player. He is fearless. He is selfless. I'd sign him in a heart beat.
          For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• I see little chance that the Raptors land both Nash and Lin. The Knicks will secure Lin if they can't get Nash. That's my view on it.

Comment

• I agree with you. The only point was in the case he plays behind Calderon huge plus...if he plays behind Nash an even bigger plus. I do consider it HIGHLY unlikely he plays behind Nash though
              For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• You don't back end load a contract with $20M over two years to have him hold the clip board. If the Raptors give Lin big time money they need to start him. That's my opinion and I feel that way because such a crazy move would need to be validated to the fans and the investors. I smell the stink of the Skip(Alston) contract all over this one. I really hope they don't go here. I like Lin but I don't like his inflated market value.
                Last edited by Apollo; Sun May 13, 2012, 07:20 PM. Reason: .

Comment

• I believe you are going to have to go mid level at least and this NY will match. To beat NY we shall have to backload his deal in subsequent years above the mid level which forces the Knicks to divest themselves of a valuable current asset eg. a Chandler to create the cap room. Is Lin really worth (on the basketball court only) about 8 mil./per for say 4 years.

Does anyone have a feel for his defensive capabilities? I dont. My own opinion is I think we can take better risks especially when we have Jose already and we also have other needs. Besides we dont know who we will be drafting.

Comment

• The Knicks have so much money that you shouldn't discredit the idea that Dolan may be willing to pay tax.

Comment

• I agree. Dolan will match and go over into luxury territory because of all the ancillary revenue Lin can produce for him. As a eastern rival though I wouldnt mind making it tough/sweat on the decision.

Comment

• Raptors interested in Lin? (Business Insider)

Not sure if this has already been posted somewhere:

Full article here.

The Toronto Raptors are seriously interested in bringing Jeremy Lin and all of his marketing power up north, according to a New York Daily News report (via CBS Sports). They like him and what he'd do for their attendance, but Toronto would have to "back-load" an offer to the restricted free agent, paying him gazillions in the final couple of years of a deal, and hope that the Knicks would not match.

The same report states it's a forgone conclusion the Knicks will match any offer, no matter how many millions are thrown on the back end of it. As we've said before, high marketability and all, any team considering Lin needs to figure out if he's actually as good as he played this past season or if he's simply a flash in the pan.

Which means that if the Knicks match an offer, they'll be left with yet another terrible contract in a few years.
                        Is this far-fetched?

Celebrating the Futility of the Toronto Raptors:
                        http://www.holycraptors.com

Comment

• frankly speaking, fuck Lin. I never bought into the hype and I don't think he'd do anything for us. I don't care what team he goes to as long as it isn't the Raptors, he's not that exciting to watch play and he's not really relevant anymore.. You heard stories about him for like 2 weeks then it died, so I feel like that's how it'd be with any sort of fan base he'd generate in T.O.

Comment

• Ryan_1523 wrote: View Post
                            frankly speaking, fuck Lin. I never bought into the hype and I don't think he'd do anything for us. I don't care what team he goes to as long as it isn't the Raptors, he's not that exciting to watch play and he's not really relevant anymore.. You heard stories about him for like 2 weeks then it died, so I feel like that's how it'd be with any sort of fan base he'd generate in T.O.
                            Exactly. Who knows how good he will be. He's a decent score first point guard at best

Comment

• i dunno

the reality is when he took the knicks on that wild playoff clinching carpet ride he only actually had 2 or 3 bad games. sure he turned the ball over a bunch, but he's a rookie, and that's generally something rookie point guards do. i personally don't think he'll ever end up a genuine all-star (i say genuine because i have no doubt china will vote him in) but i wouldn't go writing him off so quick as everyone on the board is.

i'd take him if they got him for relatively cheap, but i seriously wouldn't put throw a wild contract at him. i'm in the "sign nash!" crowd and there's a few other pg's id rather see them pursue... but i wouldn't have a total meltdown if they signed Lin.
                              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• for instance,

Lin averaged 14.6 pts 6.2 assist 3.1 rebounds and 3.6 TO per game with a 19.97 PER
                                Kyrie averaged 18.5 pts 5.4 assists 3.7 rebounds and 3.1 TO per game with a 21.49 PER

granted Kyrie has a much bigger body of work, scored 4 more points and has a slightly higher PER, but Lin didn't do too bad, realistically. He actually averaged more assists. notice the turnover differential.
                                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Working...
                                X