View Poll Results: Should the Raptors Linvest at all costs?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

4 10.81%
  • No

33 89.19%
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Lin to the Raptors a good idea? Lin Raptors Plan B? (168)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Not at all. I'm reserving judgement to when I've seen enough. Been saying that from the get go. I'm a skeptic of Lin's current play and I've seen some flags. I'm saying it's not a wise investment to give him full MLE based on what we've seen, it's not enough time.. You don't need to take this personally. We all want a great team to cheer for.
    No, you've been against Lin from the get go. I was trying to dissuade you on page 2 by showing you how small the sample size was.

What makes you think I'm taking this personally? If anything I love a good debate but so far I haven't seen any quality points from you that would constitute this as such.

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Prime wrote: View Post
    There's a difference in being an All-Star and being a formerAll-Star. You can ask anyone around the league what their opinion of Amar'e is and I'm willing to bet that the majority of them do not consider him a top tier talent anymore.

FYI, I only really watched like 10 minutes of the game last night. The Heat game was much more entertaining to say the least.

I don't need you to tell me how to watch TV, thanks.

Way to state the obvious. How this this different from any other team in the NBA?

For example, the Jazz's most dangerous players are Al Jefferson and Paul Millsap, both of whom having a better season than Amar'e or Melo. It's a no-brainer to conclude that opposing teams design their defense around these two. However, Devin Harris isn't benefiting at all from playing with these two.
    JR Smith is a very streaky shooter. He's only good when he gets hot, which isn't very often. Again, the obvious.
    Unless we're talking about playing 3v3 streetball every single team in the league has a 3rd, 4th, and 5th option.

One irrelevant example (come on now, since when was Kapono a PG?) does not disprove that statement. The keywords were "most PGs".
    Amar'e is still considered an all star by many people in the league. They wanted to give other guys a crack at the all star game such as kevin love. He's still an all star regardless of whether he was in it this year or not. The time when a guy is not considered an all star anymore is when he hasn't been in the all star game for more than 2 years.

Post Thanks / Like

No, you've been against Lin from the get go. I was trying to dissuade you on page 2 by showing you how small the sample size was.
    I'm against Lin getting the equivalent of full MLE from the Raptors. I think people are falling in love with the guy far too quickly and are setting themselves up for major disappointment if he doesn't work out long term. I'm not against him being a Raptor but I am against him at the high end prices mentioned in here.

What makes you think I'm taking this personally? If anything I love a good debate but so far I haven't seen any quality points from you that would constitute this as such.
    Your main defense of Lin is also my main argument(ie: time). So look in the mirror I guess, we're on even ground here.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    Amar'e is still considered an all star by many people in the league. They wanted to give other guys a crack at the all star game such as kevin love. He's still an all star regardless of whether he was in it this year or not. The time when a guy is not considered an all star anymore is when he hasn't been in the all star game for more than 2 years.
    Making up our own definitions, are we?
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

no its just how most people view it

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Why 2 years? Why not 1 year? or 3 years? It's just an arbitrary number.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

I would do Lin for the full MLE having seen him now with two different coaches and bunch of different players being thrown at him

with consistency in minutes and team mates he looks to average around

14 - 16pts 7 - 10 asts and 3 - 5 boards. I do not like his turnovers though.

Having said that...This is his first year with any substantial minutes and I expect his turnovers to drop as the game slows down for him

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Why 2 years? Why not 1 year? or 3 years? It's just an arbitrary number.
    idk thats my opinion. He could have made the all star game but they gave love another shot and bosh who is playing better this season.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    I'm against Lin getting the equivalent of full MLE from the Raptors. I think people are falling in love with the guy far too quickly and are setting themselves up for major disappointment if he doesn't work out long term. I'm not against him being a Raptor but I am against him at the high end prices mentioned in here.
    Since when was MLE high end?

MLE money in the NBA is like money to buy a Prius or Maxima IRL.

Your main defense of Lin is also my main argument(ie: time). So look in the mirror I guess, we're on even ground here.
    Your main argument was that he is a bad PG who will falter in high pressure situations. I was the one who brought up sample size.

Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    idk thats my opinion. He could have made the all star game but they gave love another shot and bosh who is playing better this season.
    So instead of accepting hard facts you prefer to preach your own fallible opinion?

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting Comparison:

http://bit.ly/GI8phD

Raptors Republic All-Star Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quirk wrote: View Post
    Interesting Comparison:

http://bit.ly/GI8phD
    Thanks for the link. I don't believe I have seen this site before.

Post Thanks / Like

Since when was MLE high end?
    Since it's the most anyone can offer? And I don't know what you're getting at by bringing weak cars into this. I wouldn't waste my money on one of those, I'm a truck guy.

Your main argument was that he is a bad PG who will falter in high pressure situations. I was the one who brought up sample size.
    No, my main arguement is that based on past experience you're asking to get hosed by jumping all over Lin in this short amount of time. He has flags and he's not going to have enough time to dispel those flags in this small sample size.

Post Thanks / Like

if the raps could get him for Bayless money next year, why not have him back up Caldy?

Post Thanks / Like

Please stop this thread, I'm embarrassed I even started it.

Post Thanks / Like

After tonight's win you understand now. Jeremy lin is overhyped, he is going to average at best

Post Thanks / Like

Hahahahaha, Jeremy Lin got shut down by Jose Calderon. Shut this thread down..

Raptors Republic All-Star Red and White's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

As much as I do not think Lin would work in Toronto/does not deserve MLE, you can not sum him up after last nights game.

Last nights game just showed that he is still somewhat un proven. You can not throw money at guys who are not proven. If you do you are setting yourself up for disappointment.

I like Lin. He is hardworking and has done some great stuff on the court, but I dont see him in Toronto nor do I want to see it.
    Last edited by Red and White; Sat Mar 24th, 2012 at 10:07 AM.

Raptors Republic All-Star Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Lin has shown that he is not a scrub. He isn't an all-star, or a franchise player (might be someday, who knows) but he has shown the ability to produce as a starter. His performance last night was not great, but his performance against Toronto on two other occasions has been. I would say he has shown he belongs on an NBA team and can handle starters minutes. That puts him in pretty elite category.

Would I want him in Toronto? Not my first choice, but I am sure he could produce after the teams talent upgrade next year. Would I give up a lot to get him? No.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Puffer wrote: View Post
    Lin has shown that he is not a scrub. He isn't an all-star, or a franchise player (might be someday, who knows) but he has shown the ability to produce as a starter. His performance last night was not great, but his performance against Toronto on two other occasions has been. I would say he has shown he belongs on an NBA team and can handle starters minutes. That puts him in pretty elite category.

Would I want him in Toronto? Not my first choice, but I am sure he could produce after the teams talent upgrade next year. Would I give up a lot to get him? No.
    I don't want him. He's still a project in progression mode, but we have similar player to him in Jerryd Bayless who is much better IMO.
    Lin is overrated, people think he is going to be some NBA all-star, IMO, I don't see him being more than a starter putting up average numbers like a 12-8. Especially with the players he's with, it's bound to happen.

I like Lin's work ethic, but I don't see it fitting this team, and people overrate his defensive abilities as well. He's just soooo average. His potential IMO is fairly high, but not one where it would turn him into a superstar.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Puffer wrote: View Post

Puffer you need to stop puffing them drugs. Lin is not a franchise player he's no where close to a franchise player. He will be lucky to make 1 all star game as a reserve

Thread Information