View Poll Results: Should the Raptors Linvest at all costs?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

4 10.81%
  • No

33 89.19%
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Lin to the Raptors a good idea? Lin Raptors Plan B? (168)

Raptors Republic Starter torch19's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If MLSE's goal is to sell tickets and give the Raps some good publicity, yes.

If MLSE's goal is to move forward and build a contender (if they're serious about it), hell NO!
    ďI donít create controversies. Theyíre there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.Ē

-- Charles Barkley

Raptors Republic Starter Raptorsss's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

You guys are all haters, Jeremy Lin is the best point-guard in the NBA. 36 million for 4 years, worth every penny
    -"You canít run from me. I mean, my heart donít bleed Kool-Aid."
    -"ďI ainít no diva! I donít have no blond hair, red hair. Iím Reggie Evans.Ē

Raptors Republic All-Star e2thed's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Raptorsss wrote: View Post
    You guys are all haters, Jeremy Lin is the best point-guard in the NBA. 36 million for 4 years, worth every penny
    yup, glass pipe

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Lin is average at best. He had a hot streak coming out of nowhere guns blazing. like when i play Multiplayer on a game like COD or Uncharted 3, i go like 5 games absolutely gunning down everything i see. After a while i cool down and come back down to earth, same exact thing with Lin.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd say Bayless has shown at least as much as Lin has, in terms of potential.
    Give Bayless 10 Turnovers a game, and he'll put up RIDICULOUS assist numbers. Book it.

ADD Actually, did the math becauuse I was curious; and turns out, with Lins' Ass/TO ratio, Bayless would average MORE than Lins 6.2APG.
    (MATH: Lins APG - 6.2 / Lins TO - 3.6 = 1.722 AST/TO
    Multiply by Bayless' APG - 3.8 = 6.5 APG)

For the record, this also shows that Bayless AST/TO ratio (2.2) was better than Lins (1.7).
    Big plus for a PG in my books.

Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    Lin is average at best. He had a hot streak coming out of nowhere guns blazing. like when i play Multiplayer on a game like COD or Uncharted 3, i go like 5 games absolutely gunning down everything i see. After a while i cool down and come back down to earth, same exact thing with Lin.
    Fantastic analogy Props. hahah
    Last edited by Joey; Thu May 10th, 2012 at 07:48 PM.
    In Masai we Trust.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks and i agree on the Bayless comment. Man i wish he didn't get injured, its going to be tough for BC to decide whether to keep him or not. The best scenario would be signing nash, trading or amnestying jose(i love him but its for the good of the team) and resigning Jay Bay and let him learn from one of the greatest passers of all time.

Post Thanks / Like

haha in other words he came:

Last edited by NoPropsneeded; Fri May 11th, 2012 at 12:02 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Lin as the backup PG would be fine with me

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

$6-7 million for a backup doesn't make much sense.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Am afraid that Lin's real value right now lies more in his international marketing possibilities.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Bendit wrote: View Post
    Am afraid that Lin's real value right now lies more in his international marketing possibilities.
    Great point Bendit. This has obviously been over looked.

Any team that forks over $10M a year for Lin, will likely make that back 5x in Jersey sales alone.

But is it worth the hit to the cap (and ultimately the team) to make those Jersey sales.
    In Masai we Trust.

Post Thanks / Like

So you're saying the Raptors will make $50M/yr on Lin jersey sales. Do we know how the league shares jersey sale revenues? That would be the first step to making such a statement. And sorry if this is a case of it being well known and me just being ignorant to it but I have no clue how the league allocates jersey revenues. Someone please explain.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    Great point Bendit. This has obviously been over looked.

Any team that forks over $10M a year for Lin, will likely make that back 5x in Jersey sales alone.

But is it worth the hit to the cap (and ultimately the team) to make those Jersey sales.
    Lin would provide more value to this team than simply jersey sales. I mean, if it were that easy to be a "pseudo" star player, on one of basketball's biggest stages, for a stretch of 3 weeks, I'm sure we'd see more Lin-like stories from year to year. But when was the last time we saw any unknown young player take over a team...and more importantly...lead his team to victory the way Lin did? You can't fake that kind of performance. Lin's got game. And with time, I'm sure he'd become a better decision-maker and cut down those turnovers.

Do I want the Raptors to take that chance? I'm not so sure. But I wouldn't be terribly disappointed if it happened.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Lin would provide more value to this team than simply jersey sales. I mean, if it were that easy to be a "pseudo" star player, on one of basketball's biggest stages, for a stretch of 3 weeks, I'm sure we'd see more Lin-like stories from year to year. But when was the last time we saw any unknown young player take over a team...and more importantly...lead his team to victory the way Lin did? You can't fake that kind of performance. Lin's got game. And with time, I'm sure he'd become a better decision-maker and cut down those turnovers.

Do I want the Raptors to take that chance? I'm not so sure. But I wouldn't be terribly disappointed if it happened.
    Well I as stated already, in my opinion, Bayless has shown just as much as Lin has to deserve any sort of REAL contract.

But no, I don't want a guy whos going to turn it over 10 times a game to be on my team.
    In Masai we Trust.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    So you're saying the Raptors will make $50M/yr on Lin jersey sales. Do we know how the league shares jersey sale revenues? That would be the first step to making such a statement. And sorry if this is a case of it being well known and me just being ignorant to it but I have no clue how the league allocates jersey revenues. Someone please explain.
    If I'm not mistaken, (and I very easily could be) if jersey sales are made within the Teams immediate locale (Raptors includes all of Canada), that team gets to keep 100% of revenue.
    If the sale is made outside of your core area, the revenues shared /split equally amongst all teams.

Either, my point should not have been misinterpreted to believe I want Lin on the team. I do not.
    In Masai we Trust.

Post Thanks / Like

Sign him his cap hit is 5 mil for the first two years while he plays with or behind Steve Nash or Jason Kidd

Post Thanks / Like

Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, (and I very easily could be) if jersey sales are made within the Teams immediate locale (Raptors includes all of Canada), that team gets to keep 100% of revenue.
    If the sale is made outside of your core area, the revenues shared /split equally amongst all teams.

Either, my point should not have been misinterpreted to believe I want Lin on the team. I do not.
    Does the team pay for manufacturing, shipping, and other expenses? That would bring down their income from jersey sales. I don't know how significant that would be...

I'm just trying to understand if the idea of Lin significantly boosting a team's net income is myth or real. I realize he's popular and I've read this idea about Lin's impact on a team's income statement in many places but I'd love to see a writer actually quantify his impact as oppose to just merely throwing the claim out there while offering nothing to back it up.

Raptors Republic Starter Raptorsss's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

10% of the GTA population is Chinese...he was treated as a super-star when he was in Toronto. He could end up, being the worst player on the team, but get the largest marketing money in Canada.
    -"You canít run from me. I mean, my heart donít bleed Kool-Aid."
    -"ďI ainít no diva! I donít have no blond hair, red hair. Iím Reggie Evans.Ē

Post Thanks / Like

So the team starts making moves to capitalize on gimmicks that increase profits for certain in the short term. How does that help we the fans? The team is already profitable with no risk of going anywhere.

We also need to ask ourselves why was Colangelo in the hot seat last season? Was it due to how the club's finances were or was it due to the clubs on court performance? After that one is answered, the next question should be: What must Colangelo do to secure an extension? The answer to that question should tell you what one of his primary objectives will be entering the 2012 free agency period.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

nash deserves better than the quitters on the knicks.

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread Information