Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lin to the Raptors a good idea? Lin Raptors Plan B? (168)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Probably posted elsewhere, but here is a somewhat interesting article on the contract Lin can be offered, the potential $$$ to be made from overseas/worldwide revenues by such a signing and the possibility this could happen with the Raps:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...remy-lin-story

Comment

• Now that we all know he's not Linvincible it will be Linteresting to see how people's opinion of him might change after he remains out of the public eye for a little while.

Comment

• Lin other words, you're ambivalent?

Comment

• Lin isn't better than Calderon, but is he better than Bayless or any potential 1 we could draft this year? That's the more interesting question. I'd love to see him here and I think he's worth the MLE. But he'd be here backing up Jose for the time being. If in another year or two Lin progresses to the point where Calderon is expendable, then great, we have a PG for years to come. If not, no biggie.

As someone mentioned, the MLE really isn't that much money. Look at who signed for the MLE this season: Josh McRoberts, Chris Wilcox, Shane Battier. These aren't exactly breaking the bank type players.

I also don't get this "two-superstars" argument. Yes, the sample size is small, but Lin played his best basketball when Melo and Stat were injured. Then A'mare came back and he turned into more of a playmaker. Then Melo came back and he turned into... well, that was the end of Linsanity.

I'm just saying, it's odd people think the two "All-Stars" made Lin better, when in fact he pretty clearly played worse after their returns. This would reflect badly on him except... his team also happened to be winning when he was playing well, and losing when he wasn't.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
            Since it's the most anyone can offer?
            There's a difference between high end and price ceilings. I don't think you fully understand that yet.

For example, Raymond Felton, probably the most overpaid PG in the league (up there with Jose), is making 7.5M this year which was obv. not the max money that could be offered on his current contract.
            No, my main arguement is that based on past experience you're asking to get hosed by jumping all over Lin in this short amount of time. He has flags and he's not going to have enough time to dispel those flags in this small sample size.
            So you'd rather take your chance with a proven "meh" commodity like Calderon?
            RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
            I don't want him. He's still a project in progression mode, but we have similar player to him in Jerryd Bayless who is much better IMO.
            Lin is overrated, people think he is going to be some NBA all-star, IMO, I don't see him being more than a starter putting up average numbers like a 12-8. Especially with the players he's with, it's bound to happen.
            FYI the last 3 NBA champions ran a lineup with a PG that averaged similar numbers.

Comment

• Prime wrote: View Post
              There's a difference between high end and price ceilings. I don't think you fully understand that yet.

For example, Raymond Felton, probably the most overpaid PG in the league (up there with Jose), is making 7.5M this year which was obv. not the max money that could be offered on his current contract.
              So you'd rather take your chance with a proven "meh" commodity like Calderon?

FYI the last 3 NBA champions ran a lineup with a PG that averaged similar numbers.
              Ya but he did it over the course of a 82 game season. Lin had a string of good games and then played like shitsanity and now he's injured. He is over hyped and mostly by the people of his own race that support him, which isn't a bad thing but it becomes a little too much. I'm glad the hype is gone and i don't think he'll be an all star maybe an average PG at best. Even JB had a string of good games and now he's injured too

Comment

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                Ya but he did it over the course of a 82 game season. Lin had a string of good games and then played like shitsanity and now he's injured. He is over hyped and mostly by the people of his own race that support him, which isn't a bad thing but it becomes a little too much. I'm glad the hype is gone and i don't think he'll be an all star maybe an average PG at best. Even JB had a string of good games and now he's injured too
                JB didn't take the Raptors on a 7 game win streak - the majority of which without 2 max salary players.

I'm not a fan of Lin but a significant portion of his hype was not only his individual play and race, but his team was also WINNING - something they weren't doing before he was inserted in to the starting lineup.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                  JB didn't take the Raptors on a 7 game win streak - the majority of which without 2 max salary players.

I'm not a fan of Lin but a significant portion of his hype was not only his individual play and race, but his team was also WINNING - something they weren't doing before he was inserted in to the starting lineup.
                  He arguably had a better set of guys around him and he had a longer time to display his skills. Plus during the 7 game win streak the knicks were facing teams below .500 except the Lakers. JB only started like 4 games and 2 of them i think were back to backs and i pretty sure it was against tougher teams like Memphis.

Comment

He arguably had a better set of guys around him and he had a longer time to display his skills. Plus during the 7 game win streak the knicks were facing teams below .500 except the Lakers. JB only started like 4 games and 2 of them i think were back to backs and i pretty sure it was against tougher teams like Memphis.
                    The Raptors were facing perennial powerhouses like Cleveland, New Jersey, Milwaukee, and Charlotte besides Memphis.

Objectivity. Please.

Fact checking. Please.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                      The Raptors were facing perennial powerhouses like Cleveland, New Jersey, Milwaukee, and Charlotte besides Memphis.

Objectivity. Please.

Fact checking. Please.
                      true but the knicks have chandler

Comment

• The writer of the Grantland piece kinda forgot about JV on next year's team. I would make a machiavellian play for him just to raise the price for NY who I dont think will give him up...and strap them into financial territory that is going to be uncomfortable for them for the next few years. If they dont match we take the chance he will progress at a cost of about 7-8 per for 4 yrs. and MLSE will of course be raking in the sponsorships. If we keep Jose's contract then no more biggie f/a signings and hope we draft a good SF our other need.

My own view of Lin's success is mostly his quickness about getting the ball up the floor. He still is less precise about going to his left so teams guide him that direction and he does have a propensity to take the quick shot but he does have undeniable strengths and qualities. The question is to make a judgement about his ceiling and capacity to play the half court game (a weakness Imo) which Casey likes and is important/mandatory in the playoffs.

ps...Goran Dragic is still my first choice as f/a pg signing.
                        Last edited by Bendit; Mon Apr 2, 2012, 06:59 PM.

Comment

true but the knicks have chandler
                          The Knicks had Chandler even before Lin was inserted into the lineup, and they weren't winning many games then.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                            The Knicks had Chandler even before Lin was inserted into the lineup, and they weren't winning many games then.
                            Because they had no one to run the pick n roll. Lin and Davis are like the only 2 go can successfully run the PnR with chandler

Comment

• I'm always facinated how people can get so polarized about medicore talent.

I'd rather save my FA money for someone really good, and if that person is not available this summer i'd wait to use it the next year when Jose's contract ends.

Comment

• Katman wrote: View Post
                                I'm always facinated how people can get so polarized about medicore talent.

I'd rather save my FA money for someone really good, and if that person is not available this summer i'd wait to use it the next year when Jose's contract ends.
                                Exactly

Comment

Working...
                                X