Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Barbosa traded to Pacers for 2nd round pick (Official - post 155)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• one of the items on my wish list was no leandro on the roster after the season and it has happened. i dont want him back.

Comment

• Never heard of the TPE before Bosh, and to this day it continues to confuse me. Cant any team just dole out a TPE during any trade to balance salaries?
      The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

• Larry Coon answered my Barbosa TPE question in his chat today!!!
        http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-salary...rry-coon-32112

Sam

Larry, I heard that Toronto got a TPE for trading Barbosa to Indiana. If that is true how is that possible if Toronto was under the cap at the time of the trade?

Larry Coon

Yes, they got a trade exception for $7.6 million, which expires 3/15/2013 (in other words, it will last through both the offseason and next season’s trade deadline).

Whether Toronto was under or over the cap depends on how you define “under the cap.” It’s true that their signed & waived players add up to just $46.1 million, which is $11.9 million under the cap. But when determining the amount of room a team has for signing free agents and for determining whether they get/keep their exceptions, you also have to include cap holds. The Raptors have cap holds for a number of free agents for whom they have Bird rights, including Julian Wright ($7.1 million), Rasho Nesterovic ($2.4 million) and Alexis Ajinca ($2.3 million). Their cap holds push their total high enough that they don’t lose their exceptions, so they get the $7.6 million trade exception for Barbosa.

Teams can renounce their free agents and/or exceptions, which removes their cap holds. So if the Raptors were to renounce all their free agents, they’d suddenly be below the cap — even when adding in the Barbosa trade exception — so the trade exception would go away as well.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
          Larry Coon answered my Barbosa TPE question in his chat today!!!
          Ahhhhh, cap holds!

That was the missing piece to my thinking.

Thanks, planetmars!

Comment

• Watching Barbosa on the Pacers against LAC, has got me re-thinking that maybe we gave him away to cheaply. Should of got Indiana's first rounder or something better somewhere else. LB is a game-changer.

I'm disappointed in BC. Looking more like loser Burke all the time.

Comment

• Pele wrote: View Post
              Watching Barbosa on the Pacers against LAC, has got me re-thinking that maybe we gave him away to cheaply. Should of got Indiana's first rounder or something better somewhere else. LB is a game-changer.

I'm disappointed in BC. Looking more like loser Burke all the time.
              Since the trade went down in the last couple of hours before the deadline, don't you think he was waiting for the best offer?

Do you think BC decided to take a lesser deal?

I'm sure BC could have got a first rounder for him - but he would have had to take back salary. That was the whole point of this trade. No salary came back.

Lets see what happens between the end of April and Draft Night/July 1st with the flexibility that was created which otherwise would not have been possible.

Comment

• I guess I was too heavy on BC.

Still, LB was an asset, as he's showing in Indy. It would be nice to see BC fleece some GM once in awhile; really play some hard ball and sell a golden trade. I think the jury's out on BC.

Basically, we'd better end up with a great draft pick (MKG or close) and a great FA, all in tune with excellent team chemistry and a winning combination, or I, for one, will be the first to publically lynch the guy. (figuratively speaking)

If he squanders the flexibility on "meh" or "so-so" acquisitions, then he's just a loser Burke, no plan, no acumen, no greatness....just a chump.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                  Larry Coon answered my Barbosa TPE question in his chat today!!!
                  Ah, our "missing" cap holds.

I still can't believe Wright's cap hold is 7 million though

Comment

Working...
                  X