Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Barbosa traded to Pacers for 2nd round pick (Official - post 155)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like it, although it reeks of a salary dump. My guess is that he'll be back this summer on a smaller contract. Could end up being a nice move by Colangelo if we can get him back. Pacers probably want to make a bit of a run in the playoffs and don't mind renting him for the cost of a second rounder. I don't know how the second round works, but if Indiana does better, does that pick get better as well? Meaning 1st round: worst team picks first and best team picks last (in theory), 2nd round: best team picks first and worst team picks last? Kinda like a zig-zag.
    Welp, that sucked.

Comment

Jon_Wade wrote: View Post
      Can't say I'm pleased with this unless BC already has some deal with 2 second rounders for a low first.. but i suppose a second rounder is better than a walk
      Or perhaps something like 2 2nd round picks for a player like Dragic?? Similar to how they acquired Delfino from Detroit a few years ago.

I agree completely that even a mid-late 2nd round pick is better than getting nothing in return for Barbosa... plus, he could still return next season at a much lower veteran contract, who knows.

Comment

Not impressed. I thought he could have yielded more the a 2nd round pick. His value to this team is definitely above that. I this instance I think we should have just kept him. You set a precedent in what you trade players for. If you are not going to get fair value you don't give something to your opponent.
        Last edited by saints91; Thu Mar 15, 2012, 11:37 AM.

Comment

c_bcm wrote: View Post
          I like it, although it reeks of a salary dump. My guess is that he'll be back this summer on a smaller contract. Could end up being a nice move by Colangelo if we can get him back. Pacers probably want to make a bit of a run in the playoffs and don't mind renting him for the cost of a second rounder. I don't know how the second round works, but if Indiana does better, does that pick get better as well? Meaning 1st round: worst team picks first and best team picks last (in theory), 2nd round: best team picks first and worst team picks last? Kinda like a zig-zag.
          Nope. 2nd round is based on standings - team with worst record picks 1st (sort of like the first round, but without the lottery for top 3 picks).

Comment

Another problem.... who plays backup sg andd spot backup pg
            Whoever told you skies the limit is looking dumb because I'm 22 and i'm moonwalking on the sun.

Comment

Maybe Barbosa asked to go to a contender, and BC obliged. They are, realistically, the lowest seeded contender in the league right now.

Comment

saints91 wrote: View Post
                Not impressed. I thought he could have yielded more the a 2nd round pick. His value to this team is definitely above that. I this instance I think we should have just kept him.
                On the surface, or if he wasn't an expiring contract, I'd agree with you. However, think about it like this, there really is no negative aspect to it (unless you are one of the hopeful fans, still holding out hope for a run at the playoffs this season):
                - Raps get a 2nd round pick
                - Raps are worse without Barbosa for the rest of the season, improving draft positioning
                - Raps could re-sign Barbosa next season

Comment

Another problem.... who plays backup sg andd spot backup pg
                  my guess is Forbes...LOL

Tank mode just went into overdrive!

guess ill only be watching raps game in an hour's from here on out LOL

Comment

I thought we could get 1st round pick for him, but it seems we could not... it's better than nothing then. And we have more chance in tanking without him now.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                      Nope. 2nd round is based on standings - team with worst record picks 1st (sort of like the first round, but without the lottery for top 3 picks).
                      Oh well. I still don't hate this. There must have been some backroom conversations with Bird, BC, and LB. I just can't imagine that BC got fleeced again...not with a player that he "covets".
                      Welp, that sucked.

Comment

end of the draft pick, feel like we couldve gotten more... I feel like BC is going to do another move, there is no way we are moving past the deadline with such a big hole at SG.
                        The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

Can't say I'm pleased with this unless BC already has some deal with 2 second rounders for a low first.. but i suppose a second rounder is better than a walk
                          2 2nd round picks (one very high) plus $3M might be enough to get a pick in the mid-20 range.

Some teams, especially tax paying teams, may not want the guaranteed contract that goes along with a first round draft pick come draft night with free agency starting 3 days later.

Comment

irgigi wrote: View Post
                            I thought we could get 1st round pick for him, but it seems we could not... it's better than nothing then. And we have more chance in tanking without him now.
                            my guess is we could have got a 1st rounder for him but prob would have had to take salary back which BC doesnt want to do..

Comment

enlightenment wrote: View Post
                              end of the draft pick, feel like we couldve gotten more... I feel like BC is going to do another move, there is no way we are moving past the deadline with such a big hole at SG.
                              +1

3 hours and 20 minutes to go.

Comment

What the Raptors get is extra ping pong balls. That's what I think they're going for all out now.
                                Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

Working...
                                X