Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Barbosa traded to Pacers for 2nd round pick (Official - post 155)

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe Barbosa asked to go to a contender, and BC obliged. They are, realistically, the lowest seeded contender in the league right now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote saints91 wrote: View Post
    Not impressed. I thought he could have yielded more the a 2nd round pick. His value to this team is definitely above that. I this instance I think we should have just kept him.
    On the surface, or if he wasn't an expiring contract, I'd agree with you. However, think about it like this, there really is no negative aspect to it (unless you are one of the hopeful fans, still holding out hope for a run at the playoffs this season):
    - Raps get a 2nd round pick
    - Raps are worse without Barbosa for the rest of the season, improving draft positioning
    - Raps could re-sign Barbosa next season

Raptors Republic All-Star DoNDaDDa's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Jon_Wade wrote: View Post
    Another problem.... who plays backup sg andd spot backup pg
    my guess is Forbes...LOL

Tank mode just went into overdrive!

guess ill only be watching raps game in an hour's from here on out LOL

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought we could get 1st round pick for him, but it seems we could not... it's better than nothing then. And we have more chance in tanking without him now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    Nope. 2nd round is based on standings - team with worst record picks 1st (sort of like the first round, but without the lottery for top 3 picks).
    Oh well. I still don't hate this. There must have been some backroom conversations with Bird, BC, and LB. I just can't imagine that BC got fleeced again...not with a player that he "covets".

Raptors Republic Superstar enlightenment's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

end of the draft pick, feel like we couldve gotten more... I feel like BC is going to do another move, there is no way we are moving past the deadline with such a big hole at SG.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Can't say I'm pleased with this unless BC already has some deal with 2 second rounders for a low first.. but i suppose a second rounder is better than a walk
    2 2nd round picks (one very high) plus $3M might be enough to get a pick in the mid-20 range.

Some teams, especially tax paying teams, may not want the guaranteed contract that goes along with a first round draft pick come draft night with free agency starting 3 days later.

Raptors Republic All-Star DoNDaDDa's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote irgigi wrote: View Post
    I thought we could get 1st round pick for him, but it seems we could not... it's better than nothing then. And we have more chance in tanking without him now.
    my guess is we could have got a 1st rounder for him but prob would have had to take salary back which BC doesnt want to do..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote enlightenment wrote: View Post
    end of the draft pick, feel like we couldve gotten more... I feel like BC is going to do another move, there is no way we are moving past the deadline with such a big hole at SG.
    +1

3 hours and 20 minutes to go.

Raptors Republic All-Star Employee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

What the Raptors get is extra ping pong balls. That's what I think they're going for all out now.
    Eh follow my TWITTER!

Post Thanks / Like

How is it that all indications from the team via the media are that BC is going to stand pat. Even Casey came out and said as much. WTF. Then we trade our best-ish offensive player...

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Another problem.... who plays backup sg andd spot backup pg
    We only have 13 players now (with Carter also considered gone). I'm sure there are more moves coming, if not some 10-day contracts to fill out the roster.

As for the value of Barbosa, is it possible we all simply over-valued him? Colangelo has never been known to get fleeced in trades. In fact, it's usually Colangelo doing the fleecing (Araujo for Humphries, and Turk for Barbosa).
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic Starter japetas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    On the surface, or if he wasn't an expiring contract, I'd agree with you. However, think about it like this, there really is no negative aspect to it (unless you are one of the hopeful fans, still holding out hope for a run at the playoffs this season):
    - Raps get a 2nd round pick
    - Raps are worse without Barbosa for the rest of the season, improving draft positioning
    - Raps could re-sign Barbosa next season
    - with this ~52 pick we can only draft a crappy player like Alabi
    - we are bad enough with him
    - we could re-sign him anyway

on the other hand Indiana gets realy good bench player for giving practicaly nothing. I mean we could get at least better 2nd rounder... this pick doesn't make any sense unless BC are going to use it to other trades
    Last edited by japetas; Thu Mar 15th, 2012 at 11:46 AM.
    (Sorry for poor English )

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Employee wrote: View Post
    What the Raptors get is extra ping pong balls. That's what I think they're going for all out now.
    Agreed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote DoNDaDDa wrote: View Post
    my guess is Forbes...LOL

Tank mode just went into overdrive!

guess ill only be watching raps game in an hour's from here on out LOL
    PVR with the fastforward button going into overdrive. I might need a new remote by the end of the season because of this.

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    As for the value of Barbosa, is it possible we all simply over-valued him? Colangelo has never been known to get fleeced in trades. In fact, it's usually Colangelo doing the fleecing (Araujo for Humphries, and Turk for Barbosa).
    Do you see anyone in the late 2nd round who can hope to equal Barbosa's impact... Ever?

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Disappointing. I mean a second rounder. Barbosa has to have more value than that. Young players would have been good. Im hoping was a small move for something greater. Salary cap isn't an issue cause he was expiring. Maybe chemistry? or the whole offseason when Barbosa wasn't liking Toronto.

Post Thanks / Like

we're now under the league min for salary and have 2 roster spots open (apparently carter is in the trade too)

so there's gonna be more

@jerboat

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

This move makes sense to me. Everyone knew that Barbosa was going to be a rental. With a good draft - no one is going to risk getting rid of a first round draft pick for a rental, and there are only a few teams that have the cap space that would take on Barbosa without giving anything back. Utah is one (with their TPE) but they are not contending right now.. Indiana is the other, and LA would probably rather use their TPE on a guy like Beasley than on Barbosa.

At least we got a 2nd rounder.. I'd be more upset if Barbosa stayed with the team this year and then left.

Now hopefully Bryan is able to package that 2nd rounder with the one he has to move up in the draft. Which team out there would want to sell their first rounder for two second rounders?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote DaveKim wrote: View Post
    Disappointing. I mean a second rounder. Barbosa has to have more value than that. Young players would have been good. Im hoping was a small move for something greater. Salary cap isn't an issue cause he was expiring. Maybe chemistry? or the whole offseason when Barbosa wasn't liking Toronto.
    Their goal was to take no cap back, only picks. I guess that limited the field of possible options...

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Anthony Carter might be included in the deal too, so it saves the Raptors some money from buying him out. Also, this deal apparently creates a $7.6million TPE which lasts up until the trade deadline next year.

As we have experienced before the TPE is nothing grand, but that is still a asset the Raptors could choose to use at some point.

Sam Amick says the following:

"Source confirms @SpearsNBAYahoo report: Indiana has acquired Leandro Barbosa for 2nd round pick. Anthony Carter likely going to Pacers too"

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information