Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Barbosa traded to Pacers for 2nd round pick (Official - post 155)

Post Thanks / Like

guys, BC got something for a guy that was gone at the end of the year anyways. relax. seriously.

@jerboat

Post Thanks / Like

Weren't the indications that Barbosa liked it here and would be willing to re-sign?

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

This is twice Indiana has stolen from us. last time we took on the bad contract/injured JO for a first rounder (Roy Hibbert).

Post Thanks / Like

I actually think everyone is handling this disappointment pretty well. Maybe Colangelo pulls a second, better, deal which evens out public opinion.

The funny thing is I honestly think that if Colangelo did nothing and Barbosa walked in the summer people would be less disappointed by that then by them only getting a second rounder right now. Perception is everything.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Toronto could also gain a trade exception for $7.6M that would be good for 1 year.

I'm not sure how that works come free agency though. Would they have to renounce it to use the cap space if attempting to sign a free agent?

It could be extremely useful in a sign and trade.

Raptors Republic Starter jimmie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

- As someone else said, LB wasn't going to command a 1st-round pick unless Toronto took back salary. Maybe they could have got a slightly better 2nd-rounder, but....

- Colangelo is known for "helping out" his guys by trading them to contenders when possible (Marion is another example). Builds credit with players, who know he'll treat them well, and with Dan Fegan, who reps a lot of good players.

- Toronto gets something for nothing, another asset to package (they are NOT going to draft 3 rookies in 2012). Whether that happens today or in the summer...

- On another note, the Bills are getting ready to sign Mario Williams today... so there's that. ;-)
    Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Raptors Republic All-Star Jclaw's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

wait for the day to play out. 1st round picks are pretty valuable....see if any of them get traded today for people less skilled than Barbosa. Low second round pick sucks but what out of the playoff team is going to give up anything for a Barbosa rental? Indy is still pretty low in the scope of playoff teams and they have more potential to drop than to rise (the next two games against the knicks aside)

Raptors Republic Superstar enlightenment's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    We only have 13 players now (with Carter also considered gone). I'm sure there are more moves coming, if not some 10-day contracts to fill out the roster.

As for the value of Barbosa, is it possible we all simply over-valued him? Colangelo has never been known to get fleeced in trades. In fact, it's usually Colangelo doing the fleecing (Araujo for Humphries, and Turk for Barbosa).
    Wait... so when we traded Hibbert for J.O for Marion (traded to make cap space) for Turk for Barbosa, you mean to tell me we do a whole several year dance to end up with a 2nd rounder from a first round pick allstar?

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Do you see anyone in the late 2nd round who can hope to equal Barbosa's impact... Ever?
    We can't compare a 2nd rounder to Barbosa.

We have to compare a 2nd rounder to 20 games worth of Barbosa (what if he chooses to walk at season's end?)
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Toronto could also gain a trade exception for $7.6M that would be good for 1 year.

I'm not sure how that works come free agency though. Would they have to renounce it to use the cap space if attempting to sign a free agent?
    I would think so. They're under cap and so they can't have it both ways.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post

It could be extremely useful in a sign and trade.
    I believe the TPE disappears until they are over the cap, then it magically reappears. Having a $7.6M TPE could essentially allow the Raps to sign an additional free agent, so we won't be able to properly evaluate this Barbosa trade until we find out what happens with the extra 2nd round pick and the TPE... could wind up being 2 good players, plus a better lottery pick AND Barobosa could wind up re-signing here, meaning it was all acquired for nothing!

Post Thanks / Like

oh my god here we go
    @jerboat

Post Thanks / Like

I actually think everyone is handling this disappointment pretty well. Maybe Colangelo pulls a second, better, deal which evens out public opinion.

The funny thing is I honestly think that if Colangelo did nothing and Barbosa walked in the summer people would be less disappointed by that then by them only getting a second rounder right now. Perception is everything.
    The reports are New Orleans are willing to accept just a 2nd round pick for Kaman but can't get it done. He is a very talented big man.

The new CBA is making financial flexibility and draft picks extremely valuable it would appear.

Raptors Republic Starter saints91's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

This is my opinion:

You set a precedent in what you trade players for. If you are not going to get fair value you don't give something to your opponent. If he was going to leave anyways, you don't improve your opponents season or playoff run for a late 2nd rounder, in which most cases pan out to nothing.

Maybe we were over valuing Barbosa, but his value was justified to us. He was a strong contributor to this team. If we don't get the value we have for him, then you don;t make the trade.

Personally I think Colangelo got fleeced.

Raptors Republic All-Star Employee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Please welcome the gary forbes era.
    Eh follow my TWITTER!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote enlightenment wrote: View Post
    Wait... so when we traded Hibbert for J.O for Marion (traded to make cap space) for Turk for Barbosa, you mean to tell me we do a whole several year dance to end up with a 2nd rounder from a first round pick allstar?
    Haha you could go back even farther and say over the course of about 7 years, the Raptors traded a 1st round pick for a 2nd round pick:
    - draft Charlie V with mid-1st round pick
    - trade Charlie V for Ford
    - trade Ford for O'Neal
    - trade O'Neal for Marion
    - trade Marion for Turkoglu
    - trade Turkoglu for Barbosa
    - trade Barbosa for mid-2nd round pick
    - VOILA... lol

Post Thanks / Like

I would think so. They're under cap and so they can't have it both ways.
    I'm not 100% certain but that is the way I'm leaning on it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    I believe the TPE disappears until they are over the cap, then it magically reappears. Having a $7.6M TPE could essentially allow the Raps to sign an additional free agent, so we won't be able to properly evaluate this Barbosa trade until we find out what happens with the extra 2nd round pick and the TPE... could wind up being 2 good players, plus a better lottery pick AND Barobosa could wind up re-signing here, meaning it was all acquired for nothing!
    I'd like to see a source which backs this up because to me you're telling my you can have your cake and eat it too.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    Haha you could go back even farther and say over the course of about 7 years, the Raptors traded a 1st round pick for a 2nd round pick:
    - draft Charlie V with mid-1st round pick
    - trade Charlie V for Ford
    - trade Ford for O'Neal
    - trade O'Neal for Marion
    - trade Marion for Turkoglu
    - trade Turkoglu for Barbosa
    - trade Barbosa for mid-2nd round pick
    - VOILA... lol
    I was going to respond with the exact same reply
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

does this mean cap space plus the pick?

Thread Information