Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The Raptors and Greg Oden

Post Thanks / Like

You're not hoping for anything slaw. You're claiming him off waivers, letting his contract expire at the end of the season and then when/if he returns you have the right to match any offer for him. It's nothing more than a tactic worth merely a drop in the bucket in a sport with the kind of budgets pro basketball teams operate under.

Raptors Republic Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Seems that most in the thread like very high odds gambles. Oden if I am not mistaken has had his last 2 surgeries after practice (dont know how hard) mishaps. While not a doctor, it seems obvious that he has some form bone malady. This is very unfortunate of course. The Blazers have stood by him as long as they have precisely because of the same lure (his great talent) being expressed here. But if anyone knows the true nature of his medical problem it's them...and they finally have said no more. Acquiring him is more than just a roster spot. It's also the emotional aspects of the relationship going forward and resources needed to look after his needs as a member of the Raptors.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, they've moved on and made roster room for trades by cutting him. There would be little to no Raptors' resources used on him. He's a FA at the end of the season. Like I've been saying, this is solely a play to reserve the right to match any offer for him once he commences his career once more. That's all.

Raptors Republic All-Star DoNDaDDa's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

well he might be a risk but id say its no more a risk then drafting hoffa instead of iggy LOL

if Oden was to play 28min in the next 5 seasons, that would be 26 more minutes then Alabi will prob. play

& id rather pay Oden 1.5mill to sit on the bench in street clothes then pay Butler what hes making to ride the pine!

plus the only reason portland waived him is because they had to.... they never had enough roster space for all the incomming players..
    some of there deals may have fallen apart if someone was excluded from the trade whoo knows
    Last edited by DoNDaDDa; Fri Mar 16th, 2012 at 12:14 PM.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Its worth a gamble so lets do it. I dont want BC bringing in anyone who could hurt the tank and Oden will be sitting on the bench as a what if... If Oden ever gets healthy it pays off. If he retires it isnt any worse than the kind of money we were throwing at Turkoglu and Okneel and Olajuwon.

Post Thanks / Like

DoNDaDDa, there is no risk to this. You pick him up off the wire. His $1.5M contract expires at the end of the season and then you forget about him until he's ready to return to the league. Then if you want him you get the right to match any offer for him when he's ready to return. There is no risk here.

Raptors Republic All-Star DoNDaDDa's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    DoNDaDDa, there is no risk to this. You pick him up off the wire. His $1.5M contract expires at the end of the season and then you forget about him until he's ready to return to the league. Then if you want him you get the right to match any offer for him when he's ready to return. There is no risk here.
    if thats the case its a bit of a no brainer to claim him then..LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Alright I'm winning people over, now let's get Colangelo on this.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post

He is not a restricted free agent so no right to match.

He was restricted last summer. Blazers had $8.9M (I believe, somewhere around there) qualifying offer on him. When he was not able to return, they mutually agreed to a $1.5M, one year deal.

He is unrestricted this summer.

The only benefit to bring him in this year is if he is able to return - which does not look likely.

Post Thanks / Like

I get it being a big risk if he was being signed with the expectation of being our starting or even backup C, but at this point it's just taking a flier on a guy to be the 3rd string C next season. Given that he will be an unrestricted FA after the season and isn't likely to come back until the middle of next season, the only reason to claim him off waivers would be in the hopes that he'd feel some loyalty to the team that "believed" in him enough to claim him. Otherwise, just wait and possibly sign him to a non-guaranteed contract in the offseason, if anything.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess all the other teams feel the same way because no one has picked up his dumped carcass just yet.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

He has come out saying he'd like to play in Indiana - his hometown.

Raptors Republic Rookie your mom's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Bottom line: low risk, high reward. DO IT!

Raptors Republic All-Star charlesnba23's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I would absolutely take a chance on him. As of right now, we have 3 drafts picks. I think we should use the first one for Barnes (who plays SF), then the second and third one for a PG and a SG. There is not a lot of promising C projected in the second round of this draft. For our 3 center, I would really like to see someone like Oden. Man, this guy's more injury prone than any other NBA player, but look at this: http://www.nbadraft.net/players/greg-oden

We would be crazy to not take a chance on him. David Robinson? BILL RUSSELL? Damn. If he gives us 1% of this, I'd be happy.

Valanciunas/Gray/Oden
    Bargnani/Johnson/Davis
    Barnes/Johnson/Kleiza
    DeRozan/Forbes/Rookie
    Calderon/Bayless/Rookie

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information