March 16 - Memphis Grizzlies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• March 16 - Memphis Grizzlies

Z-Bo is coming! It has been confirmed he will play on Y! Fantasy. Good news for anyone who have him.... like me.

ESPN Preview:

Despite missing two key players, the Memphis Grizzlies managed to remain competitive in losing to one of the perennial contenders in the Western Conference the last time they took the court.

The Grizzlies might have a chance to improve their record over the next few games beginning with a visit from the Toronto Raptors on Friday night.

They might also get some help during that stretch with Zach Randolph and Rudy Gay possibly returning from their injuries.

Randolph hasn't been in the lineup for Memphis (24-17) since tearing his right MCL during a 104-64 loss in Chicago on Jan. 1. He said he hopes to return shortly and didn't rule out playing in the Grizzlies' two games this weekend.

Memphis was also missing Gay, its top scorer, during a visit from the Los Angeles Lakers on Tuesday. Gay was dealing with a mild concussion that he suffered two days earlier during a 94-91 win in Denver.

Even with those two players out, the Grizzlies managed to take the Lakers into double overtime before falling 116-111.

Marreese Speights, who has started during Randolph's absence, had a season-high 25 points and seven rebounds. Marc Gasol had 20 points and was one of six players in double figures.

"I've got no problem with my team. Our guys played hard. They played with a lot of energy and a lot of heart. We lost to a team that played better," coach Lionel Hollins said. "We've got to give them their due, and we've just got to get ready to come back on Friday."

Hollins' team will begin a stretch of four consecutive games against sub-.500 teams. That could help the Grizzlies bounce back after losing two of three following an 11-2 stretch.

Memphis has won six straight over Toronto (14-29) and seven of eight home meetings, including three in a row. The Grizzlies, though, needed late baskets from Gay and Tony Allen to secure a 102-99 victory at the Air Canada Centre on March 2.

The Raptors scored one point over the final 1:06 of that defeat and struggled throughout much of the second half during a 98-84 loss at New Jersey on Wednesday. Toronto was outscored 57-38 over those final 24 minutes and made 12 of 35 shots (34.3 percent) to finish at 38.3 percent.

Dwane Casey's team was playing its fourth game in five days, but he refused to use that as an excuse.

"We're in the NBA and that is what we are paid to do, perform each and every night. I just didn't see that," Casey said. "In the first half we competed. We wanted to belong. In the second half we didn't meet their toughness."

Each team won't have one player on its roster following Thursday's trade deadline. The Raptors shipped guard Leandro Barbosa to Indiana for a second-round pick and cash, while the Grizzlies sent swingman Sam Young to Philadelphia for the draft rights to Ricky Sanchez.

While they won't have Young, they probably would like Randolph back for this game. He's averaged 25.5 points on 61.8 percent shooting in two home matchups with Toronto over his three seasons in Memphis.

Gay, who reportedly practiced Thursday, has averaged 22.8 points over his last four games against the Raptors.

Hopefully Toronto can start the exodus of Rudy Gay from Memphis with a win tonight as both he and Randolph are expected to play tonight. I heard something somewhere about Toronto freeing up cap space to possibly be used prior to July 1st. It would be a shame if Gay and Randolph could not co-exist and one had to go.... a shame (ummm, yes I am back on this fixation now that Batum will not be going anywhere nor will Chandler).

For the Raptors, teammate favourite (based on tweets) Barbosa is gone. New team ppg is likely to be 76.

It is Bayless time, again, as Calderon continues to return from ankle injury. Supposedly doing much better than originally anticipated and will be back sooner rather than later - supposedly.

It's Forbesy time
    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

its Primo Pasta time. Bargs going to drop 30 tonight

Comment

Lol, I was going to post a very similar diabolical series of circumstances that would result in the end of Gay in Memphis, but Matt beat me to it.

Orrrrr, we could just draft Gay 2.0 in Perry Jones

Comment

where did you get that comparison? 6'11 PJ3 is more like anthony randolph than rudy gay.

Comment

PJ3 is more of a Stromile Swift
            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

who is hell is that?

Comment

oh lol haha. So he was basically a bust, that is actually a really good comparison.

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                  who is hell is that?
                  exactly.

Comment

i googled it

Comment

Aside from their height differences, my interest in Jones at the NBA level is as a SF (a la Rudy Gay)

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                        Aside from their height differences, my interest in Jones at the NBA level is as a SF (a la Rudy Gay)
                        He is nothing like rudy gay. Thats like comparing DeMar to Jordan

Comment

He is nothing like rudy gay. Thats like comparing DeMar to Jordan
                          This is just my opinion, but I have no interest in Jones as a PF. For him to be a star at the pro level, he's got to make the switch to SF. He's got decent handles, but needs to work on his shot (like most college players). Think Derrick Williams.

I can see Jones playing a more perimeter game in the NBA.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                            This is just my opinion, but I have no interest in Jones as a PF. For him to be a star at the pro level, he's got to make the switch to SF. He's got decent handles, but needs to work on his shot (like most college players). Think Derrick Williams.

I can see Jones playing a more perimeter game in the NBA.
                            ya i get what you mean but try comparing him to someone like lamar odom or something.

Comment

ya i get what you mean but try comparing him to someone like lamar odom or something.
                              Odom is a point forward. That's not the game I envision Jones playing in the pros.

Comment

Working...
                              X