Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 34

Thread: Wing Regression

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic Superstar enlightenment's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,060
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Wing Regression

    We are all aware of Demars regressed play this year, and we've all been really frustrated about it. Though he's been picking it up since February he's still maintained an up & down consistency.

    Im not sure if any of you have made this connection either, but Demar's regression is almost a carbon copy of Nick Youngs regression this season (to the point of getting traded).

    In fact if there is any player to compare Demar with, it would be Nick Young. other than the 3pt shot, everything is practically identical. Can anyone attest to a reason for Nick Young's regression? Perhaps something that has regressed Demar as well (new coach? new style of play?).

    At least Demar isn't alone when it comes to wing regression this year. (Id like to see overall stats for all wings this season!)

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic All-Star charlesnba23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,020
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I don't see how you can compare those two, seriously. Their game is not the same at all, as their attitude. Young is a good ballhandler and a good 3 point shooter, but he is somewhat selfish and got a big ego. As for DeMar, his weakness are Young's biggest assets. Plus he lacks confidence compared to Young. But he got a nice attitude and definitely wants to improve his game. I would wait until next season to see what he can really do. We waited a lot for Bargs, but in the beginning of this season it seemed to worth it. I hope it will do the same for DeMar.

  3. #3
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,546
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The Raptors just need to drink some Red Bull.

    It gives you Wings.
    In Masai we Trust.

  4. #4
    Raptors Republic Superstar enlightenment's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,060
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I disagree! Young plays a really similar game to Demar. Despite the 3pt shooting, which Demar is improving in, their games only differ by the fineness of their skills (which would make sense because Young is older [teehee]). Young is honestly a more refined, and older Demar. Im just really interested as to what is the reason that both of these players regressed in almost identical ways!

    FG% for both dropped to the .400 level, where last season for both it was above .450 though minutes have been consistent between the two seasons for both players shows large regression. Young just got traded most probably BECAUSE of his regression, and Id really like to know for what reason Washington just lost faith in someone so promising!

  5. #5
    Raptors Republic Veteran ceez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,739
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Young takes a lot of bad shots and never passes while DeMar basically just isn't very good. There it is.

  6. #6
    Super Moderator thead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    2,983
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote enlightenment wrote: View Post
    I disagree! Young plays a really similar game to Demar. Despite the 3pt shooting, which Demar is improving in, their games only differ by the fineness of their skills (which would make sense because Young is older [teehee]). Young is honestly a more refined, and older Demar. Im just really interested as to what is the reason that both of these players regressed in almost identical ways!

    FG% for both dropped to the .400 level, where last season for both it was above .450 though minutes have been consistent between the two seasons for both players shows large regression. Young just got traded most probably BECAUSE of his regression, and Id really like to know for what reason Washington just lost faith in someone so promising!
    You are more than welcome to disagree you would just be incorrect.

  7. #7
    Super Moderator ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, BC.
    Posts
    4,052
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    He's an opportunistic scorer. I think he picks and chooses his spots to be aggressive. He's said that in his interviews. And think about it, some games we just don't need Demar to score, even though it would be a huge load if he did...

    Demar is my favorite Raptor, as much as I want to defend him, he has been inconsistent. But, many young players this season have been regressing due to the lack of any practice time, and training camp. Remember that time we had the 7 game home-stand? Demar and Ed Davis BOTH picked up their play. So, that could be a small reason. Demar is in a brand new system, after being totally comfortable in an offensive system with Triano, so that could be a reason. Plus Demar is still a very raw player.

    I'm going to admit, he hasn't reached his expectations, and it's been a disappointing season for Demar, but he has good potential, and hopefully he finishes strong this season.
    Last edited by ReubenJRD; Sat Mar 17th, 2012 at 02:05 AM.

  8. #8
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    400
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I don't agree with a regression in his game. Maybe he hasn't fulfilled all of the lofty expectations but defensively DeMar has picked up his game over last year. I give him a 5-6 over a 4-5 last year. He has extended his jumper but I think he realizes he can't fall in love with it. He is the second leading scorer on the team so he must be doing something right. Finish the season off strong and it'll have been a very good year.

  9. #9
    Raptors Republic All-Star tucas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Hamilton
    Posts
    1,339
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I disagree completely.Young takes bad shots but DeMar just doesnt have the confidence. Just because they play the same position and have nearly the same stats does not mean there play style is the same

  10. #10
    Super Moderator ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, BC.
    Posts
    4,052
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote tucas wrote: View Post
    I disagree completely.Young takes bad shots but DeMar just doesnt have the confidence. Just because they play the same position and have nearly the same stats does not mean there play style is the same
    +1

  11. #11
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    11,994
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote enlightenment wrote: View Post
    We are all aware of Demars regressed play this year, and we've all been really frustrated about it. Though he's been picking it up since February he's still maintained an up & down consistency.

    Im not sure if any of you have made this connection either, but Demar's regression is almost a carbon copy of Nick Youngs regression this season (to the point of getting traded).

    In fact if there is any player to compare Demar with, it would be Nick Young. other than the 3pt shot, everything is practically identical. Can anyone attest to a reason for Nick Young's regression? Perhaps something that has regressed Demar as well (new coach? new style of play?).

    At least Demar isn't alone when it comes to wing regression this year. (Id like to see overall stats for all wings this season!)
    Yikes, stop speaking for me. I'm not frustrated with DeMar yet. I've listed multiple reasons why his struggles could be anything but a regression in ability. I think it's rare for a guy his age to regress in ability. I'm willing to wait and see what next season brings.

    I think these constant calls for DeRozan to be traded and these constant predictions that DeRozan will be traded are a waste of time. Look at Colangelo's track record. Unless he bucks his own trend you won't see DeMar going anywhere anytime soon.

  12. #12
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,243
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    He has not regressed.

    He has not lived up to expectations - realistic or not.

    There is a big difference.

  13. #13
    Super Moderator ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, BC.
    Posts
    4,052
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    He has not regressed.

    He has not lived up to expectations - realistic or not.

    There is a big difference.
    I guess you can say. He's developing.

  14. #14
    Raptors Republic Superstar enlightenment's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,060
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    He has not regressed.

    He has not lived up to expectations - realistic or not.

    There is a big difference.
    The huge regression in Fg% says otherwise. He was a lot more comfortable on the floor last year for some reason, now he looks confused as if the game has quickened its pace without him. His turnovers are up, his fouls are up, his rebounds are slightly down, his Fg% is greatly reduced (thus affecting his pts) all during the same amount of minutes!

    Expecting him to remain on par with last year I think is incredibly realistic (especially considering he's young and is SUPPOSED to improve!), yet he's fallen below that expectation, and in my books thats called a regression.

  15. #15
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    40
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Demar has regressed this season but you also have to factor in new coach, no training camp, new offensive system, new defensive system. Demar has always been a open floor type of player which is why he excelled last year but he needs to learn how to play in a half court system. I think this is good for him and hopefully he finishes the year strong and comes back next year even better.

  16. #16
    Super Moderator ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, BC.
    Posts
    4,052
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote enlightenment wrote: View Post
    The huge regression in Fg% says otherwise. He was a lot more comfortable on the floor last year for some reason, now he looks confused as if the game has quickened its pace without him. His turnovers are up, his fouls are up, his rebounds are slightly down, his Fg% is greatly reduced (thus affecting his pts) all during the same amount of minutes!

    Expecting him to remain on par with last year I think is incredibly realistic (especially considering he's young and is SUPPOSED to improve!), yet he's fallen below that expectation, and in my books thats called a regression.
    His expectations were he was going to become an all-star this season. We all saw why he didn't make it....

    Definition of Regression: A return to a former or less developed state.

    He didn't return to the raw player he once was when he first came into the league, if anything he became better with the three point shot. His stats have declined from last season, but it isn't what it was when he was a rookie. IMO, I agree with Matt. He hasn't regressed, just hasn't reached his expectations.

  17. #17
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    40
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Although he has regressed overall this season one thing he has improved this season is his passing. His drive and kick game is coming along very well.

  18. #18
    Super Moderator ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, BC.
    Posts
    4,052
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote why_you_mad_tho wrote: View Post
    Although he has regressed overall this season one thing he has improved this season is his passing. His drive and kick game is coming along very well.
    Disagree with the regression, agree with the drive and kick. He seems to have underrated court vision.

  19. #19
    Raptors Republic Superstar enlightenment's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,060
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
    His expectations were he was going to become an all-star this season. We all saw why he didn't make it....

    Definition of Regression: A return to a former or less developed state.

    He didn't return to the raw player he once was when he first came into the league, if anything he became better with the three point shot. His stats have declined from last season, but it isn't what it was when he was a rookie. IMO, I agree with Matt. He hasn't regressed, just hasn't reached his expectations.
    Clearly im not comparing this to his rookie campaign (unfair comparison due to lack of minutes) but rather directly comparing it to last year which in comparison is a true regress. I dont know how you can argue that? Your definition proves my point! he has returned as a less developed state this year when compared to last, therefor he has regressed since last year! (other than 3pt shot)

  20. #20
    Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,863
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    http://www.nba.com/playerfile/demar_derozan/
    dds' numbers this year vs career. most numbers are up. a huge 8% on his 3s if that can continue wow. assists up rebounds up.

    http://www.nba.com/playerfile/demar_...eer_stats.html
    directly compared to last year slightly down in most categories but we need to wait until the end of the year to see if he can even them out. pretty sure last year was a slow start and strong finish as well.

    does anyone have the numbers of the first 41 games last year compared with the first 32 games this year?

    really not much of a regression at all given the circumstances of this year.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •