Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Everything Tanking ;) Raptor still have a long shot at 3rd worst record...

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Everything Tanking ;) Raptor still have a long shot at 3rd worst record...

The current draft lottery system needs to be fixed in a big way. All this tanking is ultimately bad for business.

My fix (until I think of something better): All teams get one ball. The first 5 balls that come up are the first 5 picks and then picks 6 onward are determined by worst records. Every team plays to get into the playoffs, losing is not necessarily rewarded, tanking becomes a non issue.

Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I say just put one ball in for each team and get the Commish to pick balls from 1 to 30 for the first round.

Let the 2nd round be determined by win-lose record.

I really dont see why successful teams shouldnt be given the chance to draft high. Its not like they draft high, players would lineup to play with them. This is already happening even without high draft picks anyways.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote stretch wrote: View Post
    The current draft lottery system needs to be fixed in a big way. All this tanking is ultimately bad for business.

My fix (until I think of something better): All teams get one ball. The first 5 balls that come up are the first 5 picks and then picks 6 onward are determined by worst records. Every team plays to get into the playoffs, losing is not necessarily rewarded, tanking becomes a non issue.
    And you'd be happy when Miami gets to Draft Anthony Davis?
    The whole idea of the Draft is to give Losing Clubs a chance to turn around their fortunes.
    Not to help Winning teams maintain dominance.

This idea is horrible. Sorry to be so blunt.
    As you lay it out, I suppose it makes sense, but so does Communism.

I believe the team with the worst record has won the Lottery all of 3 times, (thats a total guess, but probably fairly accurate.)

There is no solution to both the Problem of "how to fix you bad teams" and "how do you avoid tanking".
    It's one or the other.

And I believe the league is more concerned with making Bad teams Good again, than they are with Bad teams pretending to be worse.
    Last edited by Joey; Mon Mar 19th, 2012 at 12:56 PM.
    "That was Nasty right? Cocked that Joint back and banged on 'em." -James Johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote stretch wrote: View Post

I disagree. The lottery weights in the favor of those who need influx of talent the most but there are no guarantees and the worst team rarely gets the top pick. This system is far more balanced than say NFL football which uses inverted standings to determine the order. I'm happy with how the NBA draft works. The bad teams need help and counter to Doug Smith, the draft is very important to develpment of a team in most cases.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Yup, the current system is designed to help improve poor teams. Why would we change that?

Having a few teams "tank" every season is far more tolerable than the disparity that would result with the suggested scenarios above.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

My idea was inspired from a Jeff Van Gundy interview. Why should bad performance or to be more blunt, intentional losing be rewarded? The NBA is putting out some horrible product out there depending on what the match up is. Perhaps 50% of the teams could be looked at for possible tanking. Those teams that have no hope of making the playoffs and the marginal playoff teams also looking to stay or drop into a lottery position.