Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Everything Tanking ;) Raptor still have a long shot at 3rd worst record...

Raptors Republic Veteran Bendit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking at this season for example how many of the eg. 6 worst teams are truly in tank mode (supported and seriously practiced by the coach and players). Iam hard pressed to point to any including the Bobcats and the Raptors. The tank nation is us the fans and the 6 teams are just plain bad. I will say though that BC was quite purposeful in choosing this roster to facilitate a bad season while the Bobcats theoretically could have been much better than they have if their 2 high picks (Biyombo & Kemba) played at a higher level.

My suggestion would be to eliminate the weighting (have a straight lottery) amongst the worst 4 teams, retain the weighting for the next 10 and then by record. My hope is that teams will find their natural level of competence without an incentive to play badly except maybe at the very end of the season when jockeying to get into the worst 4 group might occur by those on the edge. No incentives/guarantees for the top picks.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Bendit wrote: View Post
    My suggestion would be to eliminate the weighting (have a straight lottery) amongst the worst 4 teams, retain the weighting for the next 10 and then by record. My hope is that teams will find their natural level of competence without an incentive to play badly except maybe at the very end of the season when jockeying to get into the worst 4 group might occur by those on the edge. No incentives/guarantees for the top picks.
    Unfortunately, the jockeying for position into the worst 4 group would likely create a scenario like the one which actually happened in the 1983-84 season.

I'll pass.
    Last edited by Hugmenot; Mon Mar 19th, 2012 at 03:38 PM.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

From ESPN's Beckley Mason:

One of the clearest lessons from the 2012 Trade Deadline is that tanking is no longer a strategy to be discussed in accusatory whispers, as it was when Cleveland trashed its season to improve its chances of netting LeBron James. In today’s NBA, tanking is a way of life.
    NBA teams and fans are willing to throw away entire seasons (full of games that people pay good money to attend) to end up at the top of the lottery with an empty capsheet, also known as “Position A” for building a longterm winner.

Don’t like it? Well don’t blame NBA front offices, their job is to win within the current system.

So blame the system.
    It's time to fix the system.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's a nice solution

Rank the teams that are in the lottery (failed to make the playoffs) 1-14, with one being the worst record, etc.

Take a ball for each team ranked 7-14. Draw one of those: the team drawn gets the 14th pick. Add the ball for team 6, draw for the 13th pick. Add the ball for team 5, draw for the 12th pick, etc. For picks 8-1, you just keep drawing from the remaining balls.

This way, there's a bit of an advantage of having a worse record, but any team can win the lottery, and record doesn't make such a big difference in the rankings.

Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote stretch wrote: View Post
    From ESPN's Beckley Mason:

I really cant imagine how players agree to tanking.
    Its one year removed from their playing careers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote stretch wrote: View Post

What exactly? Remove one of the few avenues a