Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ed + Solo spotted!

Raptors Republic Superstar enlightenment's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ed + Solo spotted!

Nothing too relevant, just thought it was intense.

I just flew back to Toronto from Vancouver and when I landed I went to lakeshore to the Baskin Robins for some ice cream. All of a sudden both Ed Davis and Solomon Alabi duck underneath the door and enter the shop. Since its not the first time Ive been incredibly close to an NBA player (I washed my hands next to Antwan Jamison in a Miami airport washroom) and I really liked Ed Davis's 4 assist and 12 rebound performance against Charlotte, I turned around and approached both. I told Ed Davis how Im a big fan of his play, loved what he did against Charlotte, and how I have real hope for him to become a great player for the raptors. Ed seemed like a real nice guy, (not too articulate) and offered to buy me my icecream!

Alabi has a cool accent, and both seemed really laid back. If anything, they won me over as a fan on the basis of personality.

Any of you have any Raptor encounters?

Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote enlightenment wrote: View Post

I just flew back to Toronto from Vancouver and when I landed I went to lakeshore to the Baskin Robins for some ice cream. All of a sudden both Ed Davis and Solomon Alabi duck underneath the door and enter the shop. Since its not the first time Ive been incredibly close to an NBA player (I washed my hands next to Antwan Jamison in a Miami airport washroom) and I really liked Ed Davis's 4 assist and 12 rebound performance against Charlotte, I turned around and approached both. I told Ed Davis how Im a big fan of his play, loved what he did against Charlotte, and how I have real hope for him to become a great player for the raptors. Ed seemed like a real nice guy, (not too articulate) and offered to buy me my icecream!

Alabi has a cool accent, and both seemed really laid back. If anything, they won me over as a fan on the basis of personality.

You shouldve instragram-ed it!!!!

Ive had Raptor sightings but never encounters. hahaha this statement makes them sound like aliens.

Raptors Republic Rookie Theshwa's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I was coming back from playing basketball (a little squash court with a basketball net) in my condo building. I have my basketball in my hand, press the elevator button to go down. The elevator opens up and there stands the monstrous giant Solo. I step in, and this is what he says:
    Solo: "You play ball?"
    Me: (voice quivering) "Ya... I know you do"
    Solo: "Do you play often?"
    Me: "I try to as much as I can"
    (elevator arrives at destination)
    Solo: "Well maybe we will play 1-on-1 sometime"
    Me: (like a child) "YA, that would be awesome, see ya"

Post Thanks / Like

I used to see and talk to Bonner pretty regularly when I worked downtown near union station. Funny, nice dude. I was bummed when he left.

Raptors Republic Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Saw Bosh (back when I liked him!!) at the airport in the customs/Immig. line coming back to TO. It was off season so he was travelling with the cattle but no one seemed to pay too much attention to him...lol.

Raptors Republic Starter japetas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Theshwa wrote: View Post
    I was coming back from playing basketball (a little squash court with a basketball net) in my condo building. I have my basketball in my hand, press the elevator button to go down. The elevator opens up and there stands the monstrous giant Solo. I step in, and this is what he says:
    Solo: "You play ball?"
    Me: (voice quivering) "Ya... I know you do"
    Solo: "Do you play often?"
    Me: "I try to as much as I can"
    (elevator arrives at destination)
    Solo: "Well maybe we will play 1-on-1 sometime"
    Me: (like a child) "YA, that would be awesome, see ya"
    lol nice story, Solo is so desperated to play basket, that he challenges everyone who have the ball.
    Last edited by japetas; Mon Mar 19th, 2012 at 04:03 PM.
    (Sorry for poor English )

Post Thanks / Like

My dad was reffing an ex-NHLer celebrity hockey game in the Niagara region in the early summer of 2010 and Jay Triano popped into the ref's dressing room prior to the game to lace up his skates. After chatting about various non-basketball stuff for 10-15 minutes, my dad asked him about Bosh's future in Toronto... he told me that Jay said "off the record, he's gone". This was when all Raptors folks and local media were saying it was at least 50/50 that Bosh would re-sign long-term with the team, yet the head coach seemed pretty certain that he was leaving. This story only serves to reinforce my belief that despite what was being said publically, BC knew all along that there was no chance of Bosh re-signing in Toronto.

Raptors Republic All-Star Red and White's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think we all have had our moments with NBAers (theshwa's was by far the most awesome) but my favourite was a few years ago. I remember I was in my car stopped at a red light. Was not really paying attention, just listening to the fan590 talk about the raps vs houston when I see Yao Ming and T-mac walk across the street right inches from my car...I just glared at them while they walked by at they looked at me and sorta waved. I know this is stating the obvious buy Yao is pretty big eh?
    Last edited by Red and White; Mon Mar 19th, 2012 at 04:28 PM.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

I worked on a Shaggy video (lover lover) back in the early 2000's and Mo Pete and JYD came out for a cameo. They were both super friendly and down to earth. Spent lots of time chatting it up with the crew and JYD was especially interested in the technical aspects of the shoot.

Raptors Republic Rookie Rasho Layup's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

One night a couple years ago I was at Cheval (against my better judgment). A handful of Houston Rockets were there -- Aaron Brooks, Joey Dorsey, and a few others whom I can't remember. It was about 12:30am. I checked the NBA scores on my phone and discovered the Rockets had played in Philadelphia earlier that night.

Doing some quick math, I determined they absolutely must have come straight from the airport... which made sense, because several of them were wearing sweatpants at the club. Gotta love their dedication to partying.
    Last edited by Rasho Layup; Mon Mar 19th, 2012 at 05:27 PM.

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Lucky! I haven't met a player yet I hope to encounter demar or jerryd(if he's resigned) one day. My friend went on a trip to Mexico for the march break and claims that Kobe Bryant was at his hotel. Wtf was he doing there in the middle of a season?

Raptors Republic Starter minks77's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I've met Camby, Carlos Rogers, Mugsy, VC, Tmac as a rap, Boogie, Dell, Hump, Jose, Ed, and Reggie. I've come across DD, Amir and Sonny once or twice and a bunch of visiting players. Best of them all was Reggie. He was wandering through Eaton Centre to grab some Thai Express. I guess he must've been staying at the hotel attached because it was mid Feb and he was in shorts. He was super cool even though I kinda bashed Andrea to him he just laughed with that easy toothy grin of his and answered my questions about his rehab and how he was liking Toronto.

Carlos I met just after he lost his shit at EC foot Locker. He went ballistic for some reason and was a dick to me but that's to be expected. Camby hit me up for a discount on a watch when I was working at Eddie Bauer. I'm making 7.50 an hour and he's on a rookie contract (not to mention he got all kinds of money and gifts while in college) and he wants a discount? Fuk outta here! lol

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

two dudes going to buy icecream? sounds pretty gay to me......

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Just saw Chase Budinger picking up a chick at the Ace Hotel in New York. Wasn't 100% sure it was him but checked to see where Houston was and they were playing the Nets last Sat.

Raptors Republic Rookie Raptors_13's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Ran into Amir and Sonny Weems last year at Drake's OvO Fest. Amir was a really nice guy and took a pic with me and my cousin. I told Sonny not to go to Europe and he replied with a chuckle.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Caribana over 10 years ago. Ran into Kevin Willis walking super slow chilling along said hey hi he said hey hi. Took a photo with him. Made a fake hotmail account, emailed the photo to myself from Kevin Willis saying hey man here's that photo from Caribana nice seeing you man! Forwarded that to all my friends. Bewildered hilarity ensued - whattt Kevin Willis emailed you? What the I don't even The End.

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

I saw Andrea Bargnani two week ago. He came to my university the Tuesday of the week he started to play. Dude is freaking tall even though that's pretty obvious. Seems like a cool guy...

Raptors Republic Rookie Jon_Wade's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I met Kapono and Jamario when they played in TO while i was at the raptors basketball academy and then two years later i went back and met Sonny and Demar and Demar played around for a little bit, was pretty cool.
    Whoever told you skies the limit is looking dumb because I'm 22 and i'm moonwalking on the sun.

Raptors Republic All-Star charlesnba23's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I saw Brook&Robin Lopez at Walt Disney in the summer of 2009. They were not as popular as now so I was the only dude asking for autographs, so they were really happy! I did not have any piece of paper to take down their signature so Robin asked a worker if she could get us one! He seemed pretty kind! I also went to Joel Anthony's clinic in Montreal just before going to Walt Disney! He's a kind guy too. I wished him ''Bonne fête'', since it was his birthday!

Raptors Republic Rookie pillowmint's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I love this thread...so much I've finally broken my read only policy and finally write something down.

I've met Doc Rivers, Ray Allen, Eddie House, JYD, and Alvin Williams. JYD was hands down the nicest. Alvin was the worst. I met Alvin in Miami and told him I was from Toronto and how much I appreciated his work, he could have cared less, totally classless. I met Ray Allen and Eddie House in Miami as well.

I have a terrible past of acting weird and stupid in front of NBA players hahaha. I was so stunned that I was standing in front of Ray Allen glaring, he finally interrupted my awkward glaze-eyed expression to ask if he could help me. I then blurted out 'sorry about the playoffs' (at this point I believe he was a sonic) to which he gave me a 'f*cking idiot' look and walked away.

Same with Doc Rivers, met him in just outside of the four seasons hotel when he was coaching with Orlando. He was walking by, I wanted to say something and I believe I blurted 'good game Doc' to which he politely said thanks and gave me the weird kid screw face look as well. Why you ask? Simply because the game hadn't been played yet, in fact it was hours away hahahaha! My friends were with me and love busting my balls on that one.

Eddie House I met at a mall, he was a thug, it was his first stint with Miami.

Lastly, Chuck Swirsky was the greatest. Period. Anytime I met him he was a class act. He helped out big time with a documentary idea I had relating to the strange death of Bison Dele, he also signed a birthday card for a friends birthday (like he left his work to meet me in the lobby to sign the card!) and almost sent along a video message, but he was concerned it could effect the contracts he was in while working for AM640 so he opted not to. I really liked the Swirsk!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information